Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Queen Shining Heaven
bluebloodblueblood
Queen Shining Heaven
All hisotry should be taught at all times; we should not divide on racial lines.

Hope I will not regret this.
If you understand how gays are discriminated against, how it works,
why can't you understand about Blacks?

I am Black; that is why I'm making this statement. I believe that all history should be one, rather than us segregating our history into one month. I know that it was made to highlight Black history at a time when Blacks were denied their place in history, but now, in modern rimes, should we not combine all histories into one

Saying it should happen doesn't make it happen though. And it's not like it's the fault of Black History Month that it isn't so.
AsuraSyn

It's ******** condescending.
As though the entirety of "black history" (and btw isn't "black" not the PC term any more? It's like the United Negro College Fund, where I get labelled a bigot for saying "Negro". I'm like, it's what I'm giving you money for, a*****e! And suddenly I'm the p***k?!) could possibly be summed up in 28 days. Minus weekends of course, so actually 20. Except some schools give you Valentines' off so more like 18.
Yes, 18 days, six hours a day of actual schooling at best so 208 hours, can explain the entire history of a race.
Of course, at the end of each day you have to go sit in the back of the bus, soooo...

It is not the idea about black history that it can be condensed into 28 days. It is about giving people who normally don't get their stories told a chance to do so.

Did you ever stop and think that maybe what makes you come off as a bigot is that you take BHM or any racial month I assume to be an effort to condense their history, combined with the fact that you can't grasp the idea of name history (As is the case with the UNCF)?

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Riviera de la Mancha
AsuraSyn

As though the entirety of "black history" (and btw isn't "black" not the PC term any more? It's like the United Negro College Fund, where I get labelled a bigot for saying "Negro". I'm like, it's what I'm giving you money for, a*****e! And suddenly I'm the p***k?!) could possibly be summed up in 28 days. Minus weekends of course, so actually 20. Except some schools give you Valentines' off so more like 18.
Yes, 18 days, six hours a day of actual schooling at best so 208 hours, can explain the entire history of a race.
Of course, at the end of each day you have to go sit in the back of the bus, soooo...

It is not the idea about black history that it can be condensed into 28 days. It is about giving people who normally don't get their stories told a chance to do so.

Did you ever stop and think that maybe what makes you come off as a bigot is that you take BHM or any racial month I assume to be an effort to condense their history, combined with the fact that you can't grasp the idea of name history (As is the case with the UNCF)?

Have you ever stopped and asked yourself what's the difference between black history and white? Or hispanic?
What's the difference between you and me? You might have a better tan. Does that mean your history is somehow vastly different from my own?
I agree that history should be taught universally, but limiting it to a single section of time, such as [Insert Racial Group Here] History Month implies that that is the only acceptable time to teach it. I understand there was a need for it when it was started, same as Affirmative Action, but it's purpose is served. It is now an anachronism.

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
AsuraSyn
Riviera de la Mancha
AsuraSyn

Have you ever stopped and asked yourself what's the difference between black history and white? Or hispanic?
What's the difference between you and me? You might have a better tan. Does that mean your history is somehow vastly different from my own?
I agree that history should be taught universally, but limiting it to a single section of time, such as [Insert Racial Group Here] History Month implies that that is the only acceptable time to teach it. I understand there was a need for it when it was started, same as Affirmative Action, but it's purpose is served. It is now an anachronism.

This. ^ I don't know about anyone else, but in every school that I've been to (and I'm from Alabama) in history classes we learn about every country and what was going on then.
Riviera de la Mancha
2.) "But Morgan Freeman/Bill Cosby/ etc. don't like it..."

Sorry- I guess only the black people got the memo wherein a hollywood actor was designated as the sole authority on all things black.
I have a problem with this statement. To me it sounds like nothing a Hollywood star says is relevant because s/he is a Hollywood star.
YahuShalum
Jacque De Molay
YahuShalum
Jacque De Molay
Riviera de la Mancha
Jacque De Molay
There has got to be more to my history than slavery.

There is. You should read a book or two.
What books do you recommend?
Anything on ancient Egypt? (I am almost 100% certain they had more melanin in their skin then the people in Egypt right now.) I wonder if they have history about the aboriginals in America and their tribes before the Europeans came over. Seems all we hear is about cowboys and indians just like we only hear about Africans after slavery.
Aren't the Ancient Egyptians descendants of the Mesopotamians and not Black Africans? I don't think the ancient Egyptians looked like me at all.
Wait you're right. I had to look at the art of the time back then... I could have sworn they were darker then that... Well then hmmm... There has to be books about Ancient Africa right?
You may be thinking of Nubia?
YahuShalum
Jacque De Molay
Riviera de la Mancha
Jacque De Molay

Anything on ancient Egypt? (I am almost 100% certain they had more melanin in their skin then the people in Egypt right now.) I wonder if they have history about the aboriginals in America and their tribes before the Europeans came over. Seems all we hear is about cowboys and indians just like we only hear about Africans after slavery.

Well that seems silly to read about Egypt. Egypt was ancient history and the vast majority of the African Continent had nothing to do with Egypt.

Hilarious Prophet

I wish that we could all live in a world with unlimited resources and love as our highest priority but all we can do is learn from mistakes from the past and try to understand that the wall our forefathers have built can be torn down and rebuilt brick by brick.

Fashionable Capitalist

7,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Profitable 100
Jacque De Molay
Riviera de la Mancha
Jacque De Molay

Books on Angolan history and artifacts, crafts, etcetera. Really any Western/Southwestern coastal African country.

Aged Lunatic

Riviera de la Mancha

1.) "Its unfair that only they get a month and not other people."

FALSE. I can't put it any more simply than that- its patently untrue that there is only Black History Month.

Should you ever need a list of every culture/minority that has their own history month or week, just let me know. wink I keep one around just for the white supremacist types..

Sparkly Prophet

What I don't like about it are 2 main aspects. One, the majority of children's books about the civil rights movements dumbs down the entire thing and makes it seem like there were only around 5 black people who stood up for themselves while everyone else was a sheep- it doesn't give credit to organizational power. The poor quality of the literature makes the mandatory february reading material a total drag. Wish they did have suggestions for books about african civilizations. (I'm only mentioning all this because black history month sort of becomes irrelevant post-highschool)
Two, there's always a polarizing aspect that is reinforced by naming it "black" (vs. white), without the footnote that people shouldn't really be considered by skin color (racist, no?). I get the whole black empowerment thing, but black americans include those who have slaves as ancestors, recent african immigrants, blacks from the carribean, and black latinos from other parts of the Americas...as easily as how white people are looped into being ex.slave-owner descendants, we should recognize diversity in ancestry if heritage is going be important (one of the more annoying aspects is when people are called black, but their mixture put them at a higher class advantage).
As well, indigenous people are never recognized and they got majorly ******** over by the english, but perhaps we're still in denial about that?
AsuraSyn
Riviera de la Mancha
AsuraSyn

Quite often actually, yes. In my estimation, there is a great deal of difference between black, white, hispanic, asian, etc. history and each other. I have never met you, but I would also take a wager that our histories are quite different from each other as well. Your point with such prattling though is lost to me.

I also do not think it is an implication so much as it is a current fact; by and large, these months are seen as the only acceptable time to discuss such histories. Otherwise, they would be marginalized, as the necessary result would be to re-write alot of US history and, due to the length of the academic year, cut some out entirely. To quote Genie from "Aladdin", "You can guess how often that's happened."
The20
Riviera de la Mancha
2.) "But Morgan Freeman/Bill Cosby/ etc. don't like it..."

Sorry- I guess only the black people got the memo wherein a hollywood actor was designated as the sole authority on all things black.
I have a problem with this statement. To me it sounds like nothing a Hollywood star says is relevant because s/he is a Hollywood star.

Not in the least.

I make the comment because, quite often, in discussing BHM or any ethnic month, the tendency for alot of people is to jump on one well-known face belonging to that group who shares their views and hoist them up as the standard for all things *insert ethnic group*. I am making the point that their notoriety does not make their position any more of value than that of another person from the same group. Their position, by virtue of their fame, is also not necessarily indicative of most people of that group.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff