Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nobody Famous
anonymous attributes
Nobody Famous
anonymous attributes
Nobody Famous
How does anyone decide truth? Be they athiest, christian, muslim, jewish, or any other faith, one's truth is based on one's perception.

Uh, I don't think so.

That's your perception.

According to that logic, it is your perception that it is my perception. You've put us in an endless circle. I see you therefore have nothing to discuss.

Much like your topic. But don't let that make you hesitate from spamming the ED with multiple threads about it.

Yawn.

Liberal Fairy

Dude ... I can't even see all the colors. I'll never know the truth.
Catastrophic Lullaby
anonymous attributes

You are mistaken. Atheism is not a religion.

Atheism is the lack of belief in a deity or deities.
You do not have to believe deities (or the Christian god for example) to not exist.
Certainly many atheists do (this is antitheism). However, if one said they are not convinced a God exists than they are atheist.

Atheism is the default belief. The burden of proof lies on the theist.
Burden of proof here

Why the lack of religion is not a religion:

And (great video):

Correct me if I am wrong. Are you making your point that atheism is not a religion because there is no deities?
apogiffa
Dude ... I can't even see all the colors. I'll never know the truth.

Haha, well done my good recipient! Well done.
Most atheist ,such as myself stick to the more logical side of things. Such a science and how the world is controlled by nature and life. There is no supernatural power that controls us. Just the electrical charges with in our minds in which causes us to function and think. Though are thoughts are merely nothing. What we decide is true can be proven by facts. Right down to the science of it.

Timid Conversationalist

anonymous attributes
Catastrophic Lullaby
anonymous attributes

You do not have to believe deities (or the Christian god for example) to not exist.
Certainly many atheists do (this is antitheism). However, if one said they are not convinced a God exists than they are atheist.

Burden of proof here

And (great video):

Correct me if I am wrong. Are you making your point that atheism is not a religion because there is no deities?

That isn't my point. Atheism is not the denial of a deity existing. It is the lack of faith/belief that there is not currently sufficient evidence for any particular religion or deity to exist. That is different from saying dieties have not ever existed and asserting that as an absolute (antitheism). Athesim is simply the lack of belief. You can believe there is no God or Gods but that is not required. However, if one said they are not convinced a God exists than they are atheist. If, for example, the God from the Hebrew Bible were to reveal himself tomorrow in a way that proved he existed than Atheists would say, "our bad - we were wrong despite the overwhelming doubt/evidence". Atheists are simply okay with admitting they do not know the all the answers to lifes origins and thus are not comfortable saying a deity is the answer without better evidence to that one very minute possibility.

Saying Atheism is a religion is pretty much saying that the lack of religion is a religion. In the video I sent, the analogy is "Atheism is a religion as abstinence is a sex position". Atheism refers solely to not having a belief that a God is plausible and nothing else. Atheist can have any number of differing opinions on any other matter in life and often do.
Catastrophic Lullaby
anonymous attributes
Catastrophic Lullaby
anonymous attributes

Burden of proof here

And (great video):

That isn't my point. Atheism is not the denial of a deity existing. It is the lack of faith/belief that there is not currently sufficient evidence for any particular religion or deity to exist. That is different from saying dieties have not ever existed and asserting that as an absolute (antitheism). Athesim is simply the lack of belief. You can believe there is no God or Gods but that is not required. However, if one said they are not convinced a God exists than they are atheist. If, for example, the God from the Hebrew Bible were to reveal himself tomorrow in a way that proved he existed than Atheists would say, "our bad - we were wrong despite the overwhelming doubt/evidence". Atheists are simply okay with admitting they do not know the all the answers to lifes origins and thus are not comfortable saying a deity is the answer without better evidence to that one very minute possibility.

Saying Atheism is a religion is pretty much saying that the lack of religion is a religion. In the video I sent, the analogy is "Atheism is a religion as abstinence is a sex position". Atheism refers solely to not having a belief that a God is plausible and nothing else. Atheist can have any number of differing opinions on any other matter in life and often do.

Thank you for that clarification, I understand your meaning now.

Timid Conversationalist

anonymous attributes
Catastrophic Lullaby
anonymous attributes
Catastrophic Lullaby
anonymous attributes

Burden of proof

Of course. You may want to try the Morality and Religion sub-forum for extended discussions on those subjects. I can link you: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/morality-and-religion/f.60/

Users go there specifically to discuss topics that you may find interesting and you may have better luck finding people who can support their opinions better than some of the other users here. Many people who claim their atheist here don't really understand the label they are choosing. I'm atheist myself, so I find it personally aggravating that some self-claimed atheist in here are giving answers that do not conform to that line of thinking. It's sad, really. I definitely believe in and support civil discussions about religion. It is hard to find people who have an idea of what they're talking about on either side on the issue on this website, sadly.

If you want to learn more about what atheists generally "believe" (or lack-there-of) or why they feel this way, there are many good places to go. Despite popular belief, we're actually very friendly and enjoy sharing our opinion.
Catastrophic Lullaby
anonymous attributes
Catastrophic Lullaby
anonymous attributes
Catastrophic Lullaby
anonymous attributes

Burden of proof

Of course. You may want to try the Morality and Religion sub-forum for extended discussions on those subjects. I can link you: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/morality-and-religion/f.60/

Users go there specifically to discuss topics that you may find interesting and you may have better luck finding people who can support their opinions better than some of the other users here. Many people who claim their atheist here don't really understand the label they are choosing.

I am aware of the Morality and Religion forum. I think I have some threads there.

And a lot of my argument is for those who don't understand the label they are using.
Henrika
anonymous attributes
I have a feeling you're more than a little bit confused. First of all, atheism isn't a religion and there is no "groupthink". Secondly the truth is the truth, it is not "decided on" it is discovered through testing and rational thinking.

Not a religion?

Atheism has the same moral code as the wiccan religion. That is "If it harm non, do as ye will." Or if you rather like "What ever moral code the atheist decides for themselves to live by"

The Buddhist religion may not have a god, but neither does the atheist religion.

Atheism has the belief in magic such as wicca.

The belief that matter can just "pop into existence from nothingness"

Atheism believes in alchemy (hydrogen can turn into gold given enough time)

Atheism believes in zombie-ism (dead material coming to life)

Why are atheists the most dishonest and willfully ignorant people, second only to feminists? Let's see if they can defend their own religion without bringing the bible into it.

Prove to me its not a religion.
Go to bed chastin.

Fashionable Phantom

If you're talking about absolute certainty, I can be certain that truth exists.

All you have to do is imagine a world where truth doesn't exist.

If it were true that truth does not exist, then that statement would have to be true. Therefore truth has to exist. There is no other possibility.

Truth is self-attesting.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces