Welcome to Gaia! ::

Catastrophic Lullaby
anonymous attributes

Unless you're going to stop denying your Burden of Proof, than you're just trolling.

And for the record - I think what you're looking for are Antitheists (in which case, they also have a Burden of Proof). Atheism is simply the lack of belief that there is sufficient evidence for them to believe in a deity or deities and is not a religion.

This thread, as well as your other one, is also misplaced. This belongs in the sub-forum 'Morality and Religon' which can be found here: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/morality-and-religion/f.60/. You may find more people willing to play your games there.

Calling my challenge or threads a game is misrepresenting me and is ill advised.

As far as bringing up any kind of "burden of proof lies on me." You are fighting against something in which is not part of my threads or my cause here. Its next to a straw man argument. I am making no argument for a god in my OP. You are misrepresenting. It amazes me how many atheists I see trying to pull that on me, trying to make this a religious debate, when in fact, its not, OP is asking for something else.

I'm arguing for logic, not for "religion." What a joke.

Religion is for political parties to take advantage of, and I am concerned with neither politics nor religion.
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes
I have a challenge to all of gaia which is right here

So far no one is disproving my argument about all the misleading, lies, hypocrisy, illogical, atheist religious tactics and beliefs spewing forth, by yours truly, "atheism"

Pushovers.

Ive made threads in the past and the atheists rage, and keep spawning tadpoles, but when I make a thread challenging and exposing your religion, and lies, and illogical tactics and way of life, every atheist shy's away, or makes illogical statements. Get a few honest answers from atheists agreeing with me here and there, few in between, and that's it.

Otherwise, silence is what I see being submitted to.

I read a lot of threads on here, and I see a lot of atheists pushing their weight around. I'm heavy weight too, I want to meet the big guy, but where is he?

If you cant take the heat, atheists, don't tickle the dragon.
Actually I'd say it's just that most of us are tired of explaining atheism to people who don't want to understand it.

Calling it a religion for instance.

Not a religion?

Atheism has the same moral code as the wiccan religion. That is "If it harm non, do as ye will." Or if you rather like "What ever moral code the atheist decides for themselves to live by" its all subjective anyway.

The Buddhist religion may not have a god, but neither does the atheist religion.

Atheism has the belief in magic such as wicca.

The belief that matter can just "pop into existence from nothingness"

Atheism believes in alchemy (hydrogen can turn into gold given enough time)

Atheism believes in zombie-ism (dead material coming to life)

Why are atheists the most dishonest and willfully ignorant people, second only to feminists? Let's see if they can defend their own religion without bringing the bible into it.

Tenacious Genius

4,650 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hygienic 200
anonymous attributes
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes

So far no one is disproving my argument about all the misleading, lies, hypocrisy, illogical, atheist religious tactics and beliefs spewing forth, by yours truly, "atheism"

Pushovers.

Ive made threads in the past and the atheists rage, and keep spawning tadpoles, but when I make a thread challenging and exposing your religion, and lies, and illogical tactics and way of life, every atheist shy's away, or makes illogical statements. Get a few honest answers from atheists agreeing with me here and there, few in between, and that's it.

I read a lot of threads on here, and I see a lot of atheists pushing their weight around. I'm heavy weight too, I want to meet the big guy, but where is he?

Actually I'd say it's just that most of us are tired of explaining atheism to people who don't want to understand it.

Not a religion?

Atheism has the same moral code as the wiccan religion. That is "If it harm non, do as ye will." Or if you rather like "What ever moral code the atheist decides for themselves to live by" its all subjective anyway.

The Buddhist religion may not have a god, but neither does the atheist religion.

Why are atheists the most dishonest and willfully ignorant people, second only to feminists? Let's see if they can defend their own religion without bringing the bible into it.
No, it's not a religion.

Atheism doesn't have a moral code. It's like claiming mathematicians follow that moral code and thus are a religion. Atheism isn't about morality.

No it doesn't; atheism has nothing to say about magic.

No; atheism doesn't believe matter can just pop from nothing.

Atheism doesn't believe in alchemy.

Atheism doesn't believe in zombies.

Atheists aren't; and I'd like a citation for that and the feminists thing.

Again; atheism isn't a religion.

See here's your problem, you know absolutely nothing about atheism. Atheism is the lack of belief in a higher power. That's it, nothing more. What you're doing is trying to claim that Atheism is a bunch of other stuff because you think that some atheists believe those things; but that's not how it works. Whether many people share similar values or not doesn't dictate what atheism is. Atheism is quite simply the lack of belief in a higher power (I.E. Gods).

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes

Pushovers.

Not a religion?

No, it's not a religion.

Atheism doesn't have a moral code. It's like claiming mathematicians follow that moral code and thus are a religion. Atheism isn't about morality.

See here's your problem, you know absolutely nothing about atheism. Atheism is the lack of belief in a higher power. That's it, nothing more. What you're doing is trying to claim that Atheism is a bunch of other stuff because you think that some atheists believe those things; but that's not how it works. Whether many people share similar values or not doesn't dictate what atheism is. Atheism is quite simply the lack of belief in a higher power (I.E. Gods).

Yeah, I'm also really (confused? amused? something to do with mild disbelief coupled with the desire to laugh, but not necessarily with good humor!) surprised at the OP's claims about what atheists "believe" - methinks I agree with you, OP doesn't seem to know what atheism is in the first place.
I AM R U
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes

Pushovers.

Not a religion?

No, it's not a religion.

Yeah, I'm also really (confused? amused? something to do with mild disbelief coupled with the desire to laugh, but not necessarily with good humor!) surprised at the OP's claims about what atheists "believe" - methinks I agree with you, OP doesn't seem to know what atheism is in the first place.

If you say atheists don't believe in evolution and the big bang you would be intellectually dishonest. Atheists do believe in these things and they are very religious and believe in magic for it.

Tenacious Genius

4,650 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hygienic 200
anonymous attributes
I AM R U
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes

Pushovers.

Not a religion?

No, it's not a religion.

If you say atheists don't believe in evolution and the big bang you would be intellectually dishonest. Atheists do believe in these things and they are very religious and believe in magic for it.
No; Atheism doesn't believe that. Many people who are atheists also happen to accept the scientific fact of evolution; but the two aren't related.
You don't understand what atheism is.
It's no more a religion than theism is.
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes
I AM R U
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes

Not a religion?

No, it's not a religion.

No; Atheism doesn't believe that. Many people who are atheists also happen to accept the scientific fact of evolution; but the two aren't related.

I have changed my wording to "atheists" in my point because I believe "atheism" is a cause for confusion, i'll take the hit for that one.. But you still are using the word "atheism" when I changed my argument to the individuals, the "atheists"

Why you keep saying I do not know what I am talking about while coming back with a reprisal with "Evolution is a fact" is either ignorant of you, or dishonest, pick one. Its called "The theory of evolution." and "The big bang theory." There is nothing certain about it.

The big bang theory is a magical idea, promoting fantasy until proven otherwise. It is impossible for something to come from nothing, it is scientifically impossible and illogical, and until PROVEN OTHERWISE, he who believes in it, believes in what is loosely referred to as magic. It is certainly a fairy tale for now, and is certainly religious to believe in it, which also requires faith.

And do not say to me "its called a theory, we don't really BELIEVE it because new theories or evidence could change in time" that would prove your dishonesty as stated before when you said it was simply just a fact. Also it would be dishonest to be speaking as a whole, knowing first that many people believes very well that it is a fact, when it is just a theory. Kinda like you, when you said it was a fact. What a shame I must debate with dishonest people.

Tenacious Genius

4,650 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hygienic 200
anonymous attributes
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes
I AM R U
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes

Not a religion?

No, it's not a religion.

I have changed my wording to "atheists" in my point because I believe "atheism" is a cause for confusion, i'll take the hit for that one.. But you still are using the word "atheism" when I changed my argument to the individuals, the "atheists"

Why you keep saying I do not know what I am talking about while coming back with a reprisal with "Evolution is a fact" is either ignorant of you, or dishonest, pick one. Its called "The theory of evolution." and "The big bang theory." There is nothing certain about it.

The big bang theory is a magical idea, promoting fantasy until proven otherwise. It is impossible for something to come from nothing, it is scientifically impossible and illogical, and until PROVEN OTHERWISE, he who believes in it, believes in what is loosely referred to as magic. It is certainly a fairy tale for now, and is certainly religious to believe in it, which also requires faith.

And do not say to me "its called a theory, we don't really BELIEVE it because new theories or evidence could change in time" that would prove your dishonesty as stated before when you said it was simply just a fact. Also it would be dishonest to be speaking as a whole, knowing first that many people believes very well that it is a fact, when it is just a theory. Kinda like you, when you said it was a fact. What a shame I must debate with dishonest people.
Atheism to atheists is just a superficial change. An atheist is just someone who follows atheism; it doesn't change the fact that you still don't know what an atheist is.

Evolution is a fact.
http://www.nas.edu/evolution/TheoryOrFact.html
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolution-fact.html
http://bioinfo.med.utoronto.ca/Evolution_by_Accident/Evolution_Fact_and_Theory.html
http://atheism.about.com/od/evolutionexplained/a/fact_theory.htm
I actually know a few things about science, like how gravity and evolution are both facts as well as having theories about them.

No it's not; the Big Bang Theory says nothing about something coming from nothing. The Big Bang theory is about all matter/energy in the universe being essentially compacted and superheated and then rapidly expanding. It does not comment on where that matter/energy came from, simply the mechanism by which the universe came about. You're making a wild assumption that something came from nothing (one idea behind the multiverse is actually that the universe was the result of a collision of universes; in simple terms, it's more complicated obviously).
You're also trying to impose the restrictions of the universe on forces outside the universe; it doesn't work like that.
And it's certainly not magic.

I didn't say scientists don't believe it; you just don't understand anything about the scientific topics you're trying to bring up. We consider the Big Bang to be the leading cosmological model for the early development of the universe. We don't consider it fact (Nor did I say we consider the Big Bang as fact, I spoke of the fact of evolution); but it is the best scientific theory we have at the moment and so we believe in it in a sense, but we believe in it like we believe a building isn't going to fall on our heads. The science we have available agrees with that point of view; but we're open to further information and searching for it.
That said; that's science, that's not atheism. The Big Bang model was originally proposed by a catholic priest; Monseigneur Georges Henri Joseph Édouard Lemaître. Not all atheists believe in it, and many theists do.

Atheism is quite simply; it's the other end of theism.
Theism: Belief in a God or gods.
Atheism: Lack of belief in a God or gods.

The fact that you don't understand science, religion, or atheism doesn't make other people dishonest. You're trying to conflate Cosmology (Big Bang) with Cosmogony (The beginning of existence) because you don't understand the difference; and you don't even realize that neither have anything to do with atheism. That's your failing, not the failing of anyone else.
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes
I AM R U

Atheism to atheists is just a superficial change. An atheist is just someone who follows atheism; it doesn't change the fact that you still don't know what an atheist is.

Evolution is a fact.
http://bioinfo.med.utoronto.ca/Evolution_by_Accident/Evolution_Fact_and_Theory.html
I actually know a few things about science, like how gravity and evolution are both facts as well as having theories about them.

No it's not; the Big Bang Theory says nothing about something coming from nothing. The Big Bang theory is about all matter/energy in the universe being essentially compacted and superheated and then rapidly expanding. It does not comment on where that matter/energy came from, simply the mechanism by which the universe came about. You're making a wild assumption that something came from nothing (one idea behind the multiverse is actually that the universe was the result of a collision of universes; in simple terms, it's more complicated obviously).
You're also trying to impose the restrictions of the universe on forces outside the universe; it doesn't work like that.

I didn't say scientists don't believe it; you just don't understand anything about the scientific topics you're trying to bring up. We consider the Big Bang to be the leading cosmological model for the early development of the universe. We don't consider it fact (Nor did I say we consider the Big Bang as fact, I spoke of the fact of evolution); but it is the best scientific theory we have at the moment and so we believe in it in a sense, but we believe in it like we believe a building isn't going to fall on our heads. The science we have available agrees with that point of view; but we're open to further information and searching for it.
That said; that's science, that's not atheism. The Big Bang model was originally proposed by a catholic priest; Monseigneur Georges Henri Joseph Édouard Lemaître. Not all atheists believe in it, and many theists do.

The fact that you don't understand science, religion, or atheism doesn't make other people dishonest. You're trying to conflate Cosmology (Big Bang) with Cosmogony (The beginning of existence) because you don't understand the difference; and you don't even realize that neither have anything to do with atheism. That's your failing, not the failing of anyone else.

You are misunderstanding what I mean when I switched from atheism to atheist. Atheism is the theology, "atheist" is the person. I am accusing the atheist, not the theology of atheism.

Posting links is not an argument or debate.

There are so many different things the scientific community say about the big bang, I therefore will accept the other theory for sake of argument that they "now say?" all matter and energy in the universe was compacted into a dot no larger then the period at the end of this sentence. That's one crowded dot. heavy dot too. It is impossible to understand how big the universe is, yet this is a fact for the so called "scientific community" that's a joke. Its not science, its science fiction, and the mind and imagination of man, nothing more.

It's a fairy tail, and until you can prove that its not religious or bound by faith to believe it.

You said "We" don't consider the big bang theory a fact. Well I don't know what you mean when you say "We" But there are too many people to count who do believe in it, from all walks of life, and it is they of whom I speak.

The big bang theory was proposed by a catholic doesn't mean anything..

multiverse idea? again its a notion!

Heres my challenge to you, if evolution is a fact, prove to me that consciousness can come from none consciousness, and life from non life.

You can't....its a fairy tail..and that is precisely why I don't understand what your wise men call it "science" its a joke. Science, something you can observe, test, repeat. I don't see any of that in your in the challenged I presented to you.

Tenacious Genius

4,650 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hygienic 200
anonymous attributes
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes
I AM R U

Evolution is a fact.

You are misunderstanding what I mean when I switched from atheism to atheist. Atheism is the theology, "atheist" is the person. I am accusing the atheist, not the theology of atheism.

There are so many different things the scientific community say about the big bang, I therefore will accept the other theory for sake of argument that they "now say?" all matter and energy in the universe was compacted into a dot no larger then the period at the end of this sentence. That's one crowded dot. heavy dot too. It is impossible to understand how big the universe is, yet this is a fact for the so called "scientific community" that's a joke. Its not science, its science fiction, and the mind and imagination of man, nothing more.

It's a fairy tail, and until you can prove that its not religious or bound by faith to believe it.

You said "We" don't consider the big bang theory a fact. Well I don't know what you mean when you say "We" But there are too many people to count who do believe in it, from all walks of life, and it is they of whom I speak.

Heres my challenge to you, if evolution is a fact, prove to me that consciousness can come from none consciousness, and life from non life.

You can't....its a fairy tail..and that is precisely why I don't understand what your wise men call "science" its a joke.
You're accusing a person based on their belief; thus it's a superficial difference.

It's called a citation. I posted a claim (I.E. The Fact of evolution) and then source that claim as proof. That's precisely how you debate.

No, the Big Bang is not a fact. It's a scientific theory.
You don't understand what science is; and that's your problem. And it still has absolutely nothing to do with Atheism or atheists.

Believing in a scientific theory is not accepting it as fact. You need to take some science courses.

The fact that the idea was proposed by a catholic priest is exactly as relevant as the fact that some people who happen to be atheists believe in what that catholic priest proposed.

Again; you don't understand science. You're trying to conflate evolution with abiogenesis. Evolution doesn't say life can come from non-life, that's abiogenesis.

No, the reason you don't understand is because you don't understand basic principles of science. You've got the mentality of someone who's scientific exposure is limited to watching a few anti-science videos on youtube by other random people who don't understand science either.
And the best part about it is that all of that has absolutely nothing to do with atheism or atheists.
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes
Ryo Tarn
anonymous attributes
Ryo Tarn

Evolution is a fact.

You can't....its a fairy tail..and that is precisely why I don't understand what your wise men call "science" its a joke.
You're accusing a person based on their belief; thus it's a superficial difference.

It's called a citation. I posted a claim (I.E. The Fact of evolution) and then source that claim as proof. That's precisely how you debate.

No, the Big Bang is not a fact. It's a scientific theory.
You don't understand what science is; and that's your problem. And it still has absolutely nothing to do with Atheism or atheists.

Believing in a scientific theory is not accepting it as fact. You need to take some science courses.

The fact that the idea was proposed by a catholic priest is exactly as relevant as the fact that some people who happen to be atheists believe in what that catholic priest proposed.

Again; you don't understand science. You're trying to conflate evolution with abiogenesis. Evolution doesn't say life can come from non-life, that's abiogenesis.

No, the reason you don't understand is because you don't understand basic principles of science. You've got the mentality of someone who's scientific exposure is limited to watching a few anti-science videos on youtube by other random people who don't understand science either.
And the best part about it is that all of that has absolutely nothing to do with atheism or atheists.

You are completely misunderstanding what I am saying about atheists, and it feels almost intentional.

You said: "No, the Big Bang is not a fact. It's a scientific theory.
You don't understand what science is; and that's your problem. And it still has absolutely nothing to do with Atheism or atheists."

I agree, its a theory, and I didn't say that it necessarily did have anything to do with atheists. I am not making a connection with atheists to evolution theory or the big bang theory as though they are one and the same. That is a straw man argument because that is NOT what I am saying.

What I AM saying is both the theory of evolution and the big bang are religious, and my argument is for those atheists who claim to not be religious or hold faith. Did you even click the link in the OP?

Your "citation" doesn't do a lot for your argument, since is all you really did was make a simple claim "Evolution is a fact" (Which it is not) and post a links. I can do the same thing with what ever I believe in and post links as well, refuting the info in your links. What then? shall we have a link war? It was a good answer if you were talking to someone who may have no experience, but this kind of thing gets no where and it certainly doesn't fly with me, because it would be equally valid for me to post as many links as I desire to my claims as well. Now "we" are not arguing or debating, we are bringing our gods and wise men into the picture and letting THEM argue and debate and account of who can post the best link and best arguer for our side. Is that where you want to go with this? if so, good LUCK, I wont be participating in your delusion of an argument and debate.

I knew you were going to say "Evolution doesn't deal with life coming from non life, that's something else." That is dishonest of of the scientific community to cut the pie into so many slices and only bring out certain slices so they can get away with saying "Well we know THIS part is true." while not admitting that the slice you are bring forth must be able to fit in the pie.

For example.

"The big bang is a theory and unproven"----(skip in time)---- "Evolution is a fact" How do you prove that evolution is a fact when everything that comes into being must have a cause? You say, "Evolution only deals with what is already here, it does not account for any origin of time, space and matter." But that is being illogical and is only cutting up your argument into thin slices and giving me the slice that you can supposedly prove, but in the meantime, cannot be proven if those slices are put back into the pie.

Here is another example. If evolution only deals with what is already here, and does not account for the origin of time space and matter, at what point in the past does the subject of evolution start with? Something that already has consciousness? where did that come from before it had consciousness? or lets just say "Life" or even just "Energy" you mean, evolution is a fact only as long as you start with the already necessary components? The fact that evolution says that something gets better and better over time proves the point that is had to start somewhere, but where did that somewhere come from? logically speaking you have to ask that question. And that makes your argument illogical, because your scientific wise men are dishonest in that respect.

So I ask you again. If evolution is true, where did energy come from, where did life and consciousnesses come from? Take me back in time, even if you think it is not the subject of what your scientific wise men say "is not evolution." The fact remains, you still have to take me back in time.

Witty Conversationalist

I don’t study religion. I don’t have a religion. I’ll ask questions and I will point of problems I have with things that don’t make sense to me, but I don’t make it a habit to try to disprove a religion or convert anyone into anything.

But generally, if something can be tested time and time again for evidence of proof (or at least suffice knowledge for the time being) then I see that as being something more substantial than the Bible or invisible spirits.

Also, about the whole “it is illogical to absolutely deny God or for you to tell any Christian what scripture means, especially if you aren't a Christian at all” thing is pretty ridiculous. My fiancé studied the religion, scriptures, read the Bible and a bunch other stuff for eight years or more while being a Christian and leaving Christianity. There are people who like to study these things without being the religion or faith, atheist or otherwise.

Erholung

I don’t study religion. I don’t have a religion. I’ll ask questions and I will point of problems I have with things that don’t make sense to me, but I don’t make it a habit to try to disprove a religion or convert anyone into anything.

But generally, if something can be tested time and time again for evidence of proof (or at least suffice knowledge for the time being) then I see that as being something more substantial than the Bible or invisible spirits.

Also, about the whole “it is illogical to absolutely deny God or for you to tell any Christian what scripture means, especially if you aren't a Christian at all” thing is pretty ridiculous. My fiancé studied the religion, scriptures, read the Bible and a bunch other stuff for eight years or more while being a Christian and leaving Christianity. There are people who like to study these things without being the religion or faith, atheist or otherwise.

I think you missed my point, but that is okay with me because I have answered this so many other times with the others in my threads.

Witty Conversationalist

anonymous attributes
Erholung

I think you missed my point, but that is okay with me because I have answered this so many other times with the others in my threads.

I probably did. Pretty much anything that comes from a religious debate goes over my head, but I've been trying to understand from whichever standpoint. I grew up without a religion and have never claimed to be atheist, but other people like to say that's what I am and then lump me in some "ignorant" category.

It's like . . . what?

May I ask what your point is? I really am interested to know. Maybe I can learn some things.

Erholung
anonymous attributes
Erholung

I probably did. Pretty much anything that comes from a religious debate goes over my head, but I've been trying to understand from whichever standpoint. I grew up without a religion and have never claimed to be atheist, but other people like to say that's what I am and then lump me in some "ignorant" category.

It's like . . . what?

May I ask what your point is? I really am interested to know. Maybe I can learn some things.

Because you aren't confrontational, I will then tell you..

I am not arguing for religion, not for Christianity, not for Buddhism, not for Islams, or Wicca, or faith. I am arguing for logic.

I am not trying to tell people here that there is a god.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff