Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aekea Champion

I do not support a bill that says I'm committing murder when I bust one off.

I can see the reasoning why one would argue life begins at conception but this is ridiculous.
Omorose Panya
The Living Force
Main text
Amendment

Hurr ya is.
Are you trying to support the claim or give me the text to read? Because it doesn't do the first, and the second is the save-your-a** option. wink
I was just providing the linkssaving my a**. emotion_awesome

Gekko

People wanting control over everything.
Smh.
Omorose Panya
Sergeant Pancakebatter
Omorose Panya
Sergeant Pancakebatter
redroosters
You know that their intent was probably to jip more women out of abortions due to a ******** technicality than to determine the fairest whatever, right? Honestly, what does it matter if conception happens earlier than usual?
It is the same standards pretty much all if not all abortion laws use.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Remember that you're not citing medical standards, but legal ones.

It is also worth noting that it does not make sense that abortion laws generally define life beginning this early, because, in that case, abortion would be illegal for the most part.
It is not defining life as starting early. The entire reason it exists the the law is to clarify. That is the only purpose. All they are saying is "when we mention age, we are referring to gestational age". The definition is not the law it is just a clarification. Take for example the abortion codes in California which address the age of the fetus. Those all use gestational age as the measure.California is considered very liberal. Hell Roe V. Wade uses gestational age as a marker. This is a big hullabaloo about nothing. The bill may be s**t, but no one is even arguing about any effects the bill would have, just bitching about a common definition used in abortion bills and court rulings. gonk
Awesome.

Now cite the claim I asked you to or retract

I already did: Roe V Wade uses gestational age. I don't have time to sift through the thousands of state laws regarding abortion, but Roe v Wade is a great example of its use without it being part of some republican agenda to make abortion illegal. Roe v Wade did the exact opposite. So, the mere fact that they are using gestational age as a marker does not tell us anything, let alone that they are trying to make abortion illegal. It makes sense for them to use gestational age as it is the medical standard and the most influential decision on abortion in the states used it.

This source, which overviews abortion laws globally cites gestational age restrictions as if it is a very common practice (opening paragraph and the main section of page 59):
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/2405698.pdf

aside from California, which I mentioned I also came across South Caroline trying to find the above article, They also use gestational age:
http://www.scdhec.gov/health/mch/wcs/calculating-gestational-age.asp

So, as you can see, this is no new thing

Questionable Shapeshifter

19,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500
And how do they plan on confirming it? Woman going to be required to get aa exam and docters note everytime she starts her period? rolleyes I have officially lived too long.
They had a similar law in Oklahoma on The Daily Show this week.

But the lady who brought it up was clearly trolling the Legislature.

Beloved Inquisitor

UGH, why does my state continue to do stupid s**t like this!? User Image

I feel ashamed.

By the way, we are not all stupid...
whee one more reason not to go to arizona
I'm steadfastly against abortion - period - but yeah, this is questionable.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff