Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tolerance and acceptance are weird because, deep down, most people are bigots.
(Bigot = a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.)

Racism was the standard everyone lived by a, but now, for most of us, the thought of racism is absurd. It just isn't done and we have all sorts of good reasons as to why we aren't bigots.

It used to be that women were married and expected to have children at very young ages. This went on for millenia. Nowadays we find this practice disgusting. It fills us with contempt.

Way back when, most everyone was religious exactly in the way their environment practiced it. Nowadays we are supposed to be tolerant and accept differences.

Most cultures put women down as second class human beings. Nowadays we are equal.

The part that's strange about all of this is that people themselves haven't changed. We don't have different brains. We don't have different feelings. We're the same kinds of people as the ones in the past who fully believed in all the things we now hate. Most of us are only secure with what other people also believe.

Many decent people are fully capable of awful things. If you had been born in the past would you even be open to all the concepts we accept today? Would you be one of the rare people who were different? Would you be the same? Do you even know?
bump again
Huh... I guess no one's up =(

Conservative Citizen

9,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
User Image

Excellent. Finally, someone with a brain rattling around in that calcium container.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
sodiumfree000
Quote:

Bigot: a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

Many people can be bigoted in some situations, or display behaviour that is bigoted, but most people are not, 100% of the time, utterly intolerant of anything different from their own closely held opinion etc.

Quote:
Racism was the standard everyone lived by a, but now, for most of us, the thought of racism is absurd. It just isn't done and we have all sorts of good reasons as to why we aren't bigots.

Racism hasn't gone away, but many people do acknowledge it as wrong and actively work to oppose it's entrenchment.

Quote:
It used to be that women were married and expected to have children at very young ages. This went on for millenia. Nowadays we find this practice disgusting. It fills us with contempt.

How young is very young? Yes, nowadays most people find the forceful marriage and rape of children wrong, as indeed they should.

Quote:
Way back when, most everyone was religious exactly in the way their environment practiced it. Nowadays we are supposed to be tolerant and accept differences.

Not everyone, but often the punishment for failing to be religious in the way their society tolerated was much harsher than it is today - but obviously many people chose different religions or chose to practice their religions differently, which is why not every Christian is a Catholic.

Quote:
Most cultures put women down as second class human beings. Nowadays we are equal.

Or at least we'd like to be.

Quote:
The part that's strange about all of this is that people themselves haven't changed. We don't have different brains. We don't have different feelings. We're the same kinds of people as the ones in the past who fully believed in all the things we now hate. Most of us are only secure with what other people also believe.

But we have learnt many new things. We have also developed as time as gone on. We may not behave the same way as in the 1500s, but they didn't behave the same way in the 1500s as they didn't in the 100s, either. Society progresses, I'm not sure why this is so strange to you.

Quote:
Many decent people are fully capable of awful things.

Everyone is capable of doing awful things, but doing them means you stop being a decent person.

Quote:
If you had been born in the past would you even be open to all the concepts we accept today? Would you be one of the rare people who were different? Would you be the same? Do you even know?

That's impossible for us to know. However, it might help to consider where you stand on issues today and how you think history will represent them - topics such as climate change and gay marriage, for example.

Obviously, in the past, it started with smaller groups of people who opposed the accepted or authoritative view, and grew into a big enough movement to instigate reform and ultimately societal change. But such progression isn't always easy to identify and pinpoint, so worrying about what side of the issue you will historically fall on is most likely pointless. The best thing to do would be to look at every issue with empathy and tolerance - which ultimately, will save us from being bigots :/
No, i'm not secretly an intolerant bigot
God only knows what you'd do.
toasega
User Image

Excellent. Finally, someone with a brain rattling around in that calcium container.

is that the dude from fist of the north star
sodiumfree000

Holding different opinions? Really? Hell yeah, I'm bigoted as ********. Certain s**t I just won't tolerate.
I don't think I am.
But you might be right.
Society has molded me and a lot of people in a specific way we can't break from.
Most of us don't even realise the way we are in the first place unless confronted head on about it.
jing jings
I don't think I am.
But you might be right.
Society has molded me and a lot of people in a specific way we can't break from.
Most of us don't even realise the way we are in the first place unless confronted head on about it.

Fight, damn you! Even if you only get to the point where you realize what they're doing to you and you don't feel like you can stop yourself, fight!!

captcha: what to see
I AM R U

Quote:
Many decent people are fully capable of awful things.

Everyone is capable of doing awful things, but doing them means you stop being a decent person.

You can't make a snap judgement like that with ethics. Sometimes protecting the innocent requires that you do awful, awful things to people.

Although, like all moral judgement calls, you can't just say "it's always worth it" or "it's never worth it", you have to look at each single situation individually. Situational ethics, mang.

captcha: good samaritan

Conservative Citizen

9,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PureCocainePureCocaine
toasega
User Image

is that the dude from fist of the north star

I dunno, but it does look like him.......

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
So we're no physiologically different. Big ******** deal.
The human mind isn't just hardware, it's software as well. The software has been upgraded and is being patched on all new installs via network.
Perhaps your network card is just broken.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff