Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you really think that we're the supreme beings on the planet? Or are we nothing more than simple drones following a pre-made track that we're all doomed to be destoryed by in the end?
One could easily argue that humans are no more complex than a machine. In all truth this theory really doesn't seem that hard to believe when you think about it. We as humans are completely ruled by our unstable emotions and feelings, we live near souly to breed and continue life. One could say these things give us our own free will but I can easily argue that our minds are nothing but a set of codes that work and expire like any other machine. That we're nothing but programs to produce and continue life. Just as easily I could argue that we as people do indeed have the free will to controll our own fates, and aren't locked in to one that other(s) have set for us. We as people must really ask ourselves, "am I truely so unique from most other life in this world?". It can be said we have the free will to make such theories in our minds and express them but in reality this could only be within our programing. Or, maybe, we really are the limitless beings that some believe us to me. Our limits could easily exist, though. And just because we have been lucky enough not to discover them yet that doesn't mean we couldn't still be silenced by them at any givin time.
I believe we are no more complex than the animals we put in cages and domesticate. We are pre-programmed to reproduce and that is really it. It is only that we happen to have a higher mind capacity and ended up developing it. we are just animals with an over developed mind...
We are rather simple. We belive we are superior there fore evryone and thing else is inferior therefore we try to tame them but when they retaliate they are attacked and destroyed.
I think that in a sense we are the dominant race of the planet. We have created a complex network of our societies on a global basis, and we can manipulate just about any environment we want to accommodate our needs. Also, the human race is almost undeniably doomed to extinction sooner or later. If not from our own actions, by forces outside our planet.

I also think humans are much more complex than machines. Machines do what they're programmed to do, or at least that's the idea. Humans have the ability to choose to go against what they are told or brought up to do. Humans are complex because we have such an obscure and sometimes irrational array of emotions and desires. That's what seperates us from other beings.
... I suppose, in many senses, we are and we aren't. Since we can only ultimately judge this from our perspective, our opinion is, thusly, biased either one way or the other. Perhaps there's equal amounts of complexity and machine-like tendencies...
Energy Riot
I think that in a sense we are the dominant race of the planet. We have created a complex network of our societies on a global basis, and we can manipulate just about any environment we want to accommodate our needs. Also, the human race is almost undeniably doomed to extinction sooner or later. If not from our own actions, by forces outside our planet.

I also think humans are much more complex than machines. Machines do what they're programmed to do, or at least that's the idea. Humans have the ability to choose to go against what they are told or brought up to do. Humans are complex because we have such an obscure and sometimes irrational array of emotions and desires. That's what seperates us from other beings.

I agree. Yes, to answer the post question, we ARE as complex as we think we are. We do have free will that allows us to do whatever the hell we want - hence the reason this world is so messed up. As for being superior to other species, well, in a sense, we are. Our make-up is more complex than any other being on earth. Add emotions and whatnot, we become even more complex. That may not constitute the right to dominate over other animals, but it does mean that we're more complex.
Humans are not superior or complex, Animals are much more complex, smarter than we are, we built machines, were ruining the planet, and Animals can understand the balance of life, and the cycles of life and death, us humans, we are stubborn creatures and want to be right all the time, we believe we are superior and think to make us strong is to make the weak shrivel at our knees, hardly any of us has the thought to think about life, death the planet, the world, the cycles which we are born into, we dont want to believe that fate and destiny control us, Dragons were the ones who taught us how to catch food, write and now, it is possible that they somehow regret ever telling us these thoings, for we have only become stupider as we continued, destroying things to make machines, power plants and kill wildlife while we are at it. these tsyunamis are the result of our actions, a warning perhaps, but no...we are not complex.
I don't trustmankind."Sigh" I just don't like my own kind. But thats because of other things, not the fact that we are destroying life on earth. We can't kill the earth, we may alter it but we connot destroy it (not yet at least)
little_kenney13
I believe we are no more complex than the animals we put in cages and domesticate. We are pre-programmed to reproduce and that is really it. It is only that we happen to have a higher mind capacity and ended up developing it. we are just animals with an over developed mind...

If we are animals with a capacity animals do not have, we are, technically, more than animals. As such, we can declare ourselves to be more than animals.

While it's true we tend to overestimate the human intellect, we have come a long way. While not being the "best race" (the best race would have our intellect with physical means of defense to boot), we have made sure that no other, fathomable race can take foot on Earth through evolution, and that the only thing that will end up destroying the race is ourselves (or an invader).
Arjuna_melody
Humans are not superior or complex, Animals are much more complex, smarter than we are, we built machines, were ruining the planet, and Animals can understand the balance of life, and the cycles of life and death, us humans, we are stubborn creatures and want to be right all the time, we believe we are superior and think to make us strong is to make the weak shrivel at our knees, hardly any of us has the thought to think about life, death the planet, the world, the cycles which we are born into, we dont want to believe that fate and destiny control us, Dragons were the ones who taught us how to catch food, write and now, it is possible that they somehow regret ever telling us these thoings, for we have only become stupider as we continued, destroying things to make machines, power plants and kill wildlife while we are at it. these tsyunamis are the result of our actions, a warning perhaps, but no...we are not complex.

I have one word for this brain trash: LOLLERCOASTER!!1!11one
Hah, more complex.
We are one of two animals that will attack one another out of spite.
no we are not complex we were just a simple race put on this world to live and die that is our only purpose. xp
Complexity is no mesure of superiority.
StriderYayame
Hah, more complex.
We are one of two animals that will attack one another out of spite.

You people seem to think that our ability to do dumb s**t some how makes us less complex. That makes no ******** sense. If anything, the fact that we continually ruin s**t is because we're more complex. We have advanced long term memories and long lives that cause us to be able to contemplate, speculate upon, and understand things that other species can not.

This thread is a great example. The fact that there are so many differing views and takes on the subject, and the fact that we can express them in different and unique ways within the boundaries of our language is a perfect example of our complexity and ability to think in complicated and advanced terms.

Collectively, we may be stupid as ******** for killing off animal species and destroying ecosystems, but there are people who are trying to fix that s**t too you know...
lollercoaster, indeed. perhaps even a roflcopter.

yes, we are horridly complex, but does that make us some sort of pinnacle of evolution? no. better things will arise.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff