Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do we have enough choice?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 6, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

I have noticed lately that our freedom to choose isn't as much as I think people would like. I'm not saying I have decided that people don't have the choices they want but there are some things that people can't choose. For instance, abortion. People talk of banning abortion because THEY believe it is wrong along with other people but not everyone agrees. Some women or couples want the choice to decide. Another is religion. If you grow up into a religious family a lot of the time you adopt the religion of your family and carry on that faith in later life but from a very early age the ideals of that religion have been set into your mind my your parents and other influential people, therefore you can't make the choice of whether or not to adopt that religion. In another scenario if you decide not to adopt your family's religion (and if they are very dedicated to their religion) the child could face disownment if they chose not to become part of that religion. I appreciate parents wanting to bring up their children the way they want but what about a child's choice? Maybe you think children are too young to have the right of choice. We have many choices but do we have the ones that we think we deserve? We are not allowed to choose certain things for our own good. For example, schooling. A lot of people would choose not to go to school if they had the choice but they don't. SO what do you think? Do we have enough choice? Do we have to little or just the right amount? Post your thoughts.
The media tells me to buy stuff..
You always have a choice. No matter what you have a choice. Saying you don't have one is just lazy ignorance.
Think of it this way. You've much more freedom than anybody in any third world country. Be thankful.

5,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I don't think we've lost it so much as we've given it up. Assuming you are talking about people in the US. As far as I can tell, we can't wait to give up personal freedom, personal informaiton, personal responsibility.....

The problem is that we are overwhelmed by too many meaningless choices; 25 kinds of potato chips, 10 kinds of Doritos, 35 different candy bars, 100 different sodas. We spend so much time making unimportant decisions, we dont' have time or energy left to think about things that are meaningful.
not only is the media telling people to buy products but also the government tried to controll the nation using fear to controll people into joining the army.

4,950 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I think things should be more indivudualised and parents should give their kids some more things to be responisible for(My mom shutts down everything at 10 to make sure I go to bed, she doesn't even trust me to get to sleep at the right time. Even if I get to sleep late I still manage to get to school on time but she alwas complains)
I was raised in a very religous family in a highly religous area. I grew up following the faith but when I got older I chose not to follow the faith any longer.
I think freedom of choice in the U.S. is always something that will be up for debate. Some will always feel that they have no rights or no choices that they can make for themselves. I myself believe that we have a decent amount of choices to make on our own. When it comes to education that is something a parnet should decide. Alot of things must be considered and you have to think about the fact that a child doesn't really know what they need to live a healthy rich adult life. You need the education to have future choices on your employment which will give you choices on what type of lifestyle you will be able to support and so on. So far it works pretty well in that aspect. And we all know that we have over abundant choices when it concerns products to buy and things of that nature..
There is always an option, you are the one who chooses.

Even if your family is religious, at a certain point, a normal human being starts to wonder, if what their parents/ministry told him is right. It is our nature and our free will.

You will have as much free will as you want.
Children notoriously don't have the life experience yet to make an educated and well founded choice, which is why they have parents to guide them. If they don't agree with their parents later on in life they can and WILL choose what's right for them. I come from an era where it was normal for parents to be biggoted and mine were........but I am not and I made that choice all on my own when I reached an age where I could understand the concept. If you don't think parents should have any shaping of their childrens lives maybe we should just start leaving babies in cardboard boxes on street corners and let them decide what to do huh? xp
Existence precedes Essence. This means:

1. We have no predetermined nature or essence that controls what we are, what we do, or what is valuable for us.

2. We are radically free to act independently of determination by outside influences.

3. We create our own human nature through these free choices.

4. We also create our values through these choices.

In this way, mankind is doomed to be free. Doomed to make choices of their own volition, these choices all have positive and negative consequenses and we can never know which will outweigh the other at the time of the action or afterwards.

Thus, humans blunder through life blindly. They may strive for good and do more bad or aim to do bad and do more good. They may aim nowhere and do good or bad or both equally.

Quite simply, man is thrown into the world. A bitter and cold world where the only certainty is suffering and death. In this world, he is often urged to do good, yet. He can never know whether he does good or bad. Just that he is free, and doomed to be thus until the day of his death.

Regards,

Invictus
... we all do have choices....
some people just get in their way...
We're free to do as we choose.

As the song (Rush's Freewill) goes:

Quote:
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
India Rose
Children notoriously don't have the life experience yet to make an educated and well founded choice, which is why they have parents to guide them.

Many children have more life experience and a clearer view of the world than many adults.

Thus, age is an unreliable guage as regards decision-making.

LXXXVIII

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces