Welcome to Gaia! ::

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
This article appeared late on Monday evening, leading some to believe that it was a late April Fool's prank. It has done the rounds and even had a wonderful parody of it written in the Guardian (link at the end). For the love of all that is holy, you have to read it. I wanted this to be a joke and as such read it over three times, each read through led me further into the conclusion that she is actually serious. I will quote some of my favourite parts.

Quote:
On a recent flight to New York, I was delighted when a stewardess came over and gave me a bottle of champagne.
‘This is from the captain — he wants to welcome you on board and hopes you have a great flight today,’ she explained.
You’re probably thinking ‘what a lovely surprise’. But while it was lovely, it wasn’t a surprise. At least, not for me.

Wonderful opening, right to the meat of the issue and most importantly, humble and followed by a picture of the beauty that won the pilot's heart. I won't post the pictures here, they are large.

Quote:
While I’m no Elle Macpherson, I’m tall, slim, blonde and, so I’m often told, a good-looking woman. I know how lucky I am. But there are downsides to being pretty — the main one being that other women hate me for no other reason than my lovely looks.

If you’re a woman reading this, I’d hazard that you’ve already formed your own opinion about me — and it won’t be very flattering. For while many doors have been opened (literally) as a result of my looks, just as many have been metaphorically slammed in my face — and usually by my own sex.

I’m not smug and I’m no flirt, yet over the years I’ve been dropped by countless friends who felt threatened if I was merely in the presence of their other halves. If their partners dared to actually talk to me, a sudden chill would descend on the room.

See what I mean? You want this to be a joke, you want her not to actually mean these things but she certainly seems serious in her assertion of being so attractive that it actually negatively affects her life.

Quote:
Unfortunately women find nothing more annoying than someone else being the most attractive girl in a room.

You have to wonder... how does she know this? Assuming she is always the most attractive.

Quote:
One contract I accepted was blighted by a jealous female boss. It was the height of summer and I’d opted to wear knee length, cap-sleeved dresses. They were modest, yet pretty; more Kate Middleton than Katie Price.
But my boss pulled me into her office and informed me my dress style was distracting her male employees. I didn’t dare point out that there were other women in the office wearing similar attire.
Rather than argue, I worked out the rest of my contract wearing baggy, sombre-coloured trouser suits. It was clear that when you have a female boss, it’s best to let them shine, but when you have a male boss, it’s a different game: I have written in the Mail on how I have flirted to get ahead at work, something I’m sure many women do.

This is where I realised she wasn't joking when the sexist generalisations were ramped up without a hint of irony. What is this woman's problem? The rest I will leave for you to read at your own leisure, it makes for a wonderful five minute giggle. But the issue she is trying to put forth is thus:

It is really hard being an attractive female in comparison with the ugly people who are jealous of you.

And she wants our sympathy? Maybe there is an issue here with personal grievances coming into play in the work place and middle-class social occasions but I think the way she puts it across is so arrogant and yet self-pitying that you can't help but not take her seriously. And what do you need to help you feel better after reading that? Reading this amazing male parody.

Discuss the issue she raises and the awful way in which she attempts to.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
She has a fairly unattractive pig-like face and I'm usually pretty generous about these things. The real question is why anyone published this egomaniacal garbage.

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
Yoshpet
The real question is why anyone published this egomaniacal garbage.

The answer is: The Daily Mail

Hallowed Wench

If that is what passes for being attractive in England I feel sorry for their nation.

Ferocious Browser

Yoshpet
She has a fairly unattractive pig-like face and I'm usually pretty generous about these things. The real question is why anyone published this egomaniacal garbage.

^
|

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200

The psychologist is far more attractive.
I understand some of what she is saying but most of it sounds like she just thinks she is the hottest thing on the planet.

I have had people tell me when they first saw me they thought I looked like I'd be a snob and didn't want to hang out with me, but they were happy they got to know me because I'm not like that at all and they were sorry for judging me. This wasn't a one time occurrence either. I had more than one person come up to me at my HS graduation ceremony. The saddest case was when I was trying to get in touch with relatives I never was able to meet. My cousin showed my picture to her sister and she said "she looks like one of those preppy b***h girls I would have beat up in high school". When my cousin told me that it really broke my heart. So, yes, people will judge you if you are considered attractive. However, I've never lost existing friends due to the way I look... from that article it sounds like there is something else about her (like her thinking she is always the prettiest) that made her friends dump on her.

The other problem I have is being an attractive girl that likes math and video games. Whenever I meet someone new and they ask me what I do I tell them I work as a database programmer and I am applying to grad school for math. Pretty much every time the person will respond with "you don't look like a math major". I find people often don't take me seriously until they see my work either, like I'm just a bimbo or something.
Fun note: She's using the computer backwards.

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
Sergeant Pancakebatter
I understand some of what she is saying but most of it sounds like she just thinks she is the hottest thing on the planet.

Exactly. It's her tone I have complaint with, not her issue.
Yuki the Third

Lol I just looked at the article itself and saw the same thing. rofl
Firebird v2
Yuki the Third

You're a really attractive person when I saw your sig with your pic in it. I would so do you if you were a woman. emotion_awesome
thanks..I'm not female, but can I still get snuggles? :3
Stuch BSc
Sergeant Pancakebatter

Exactly. It's her tone I have complaint with, not her issue.
Yah, she is quite cocky... That's why I disagree with her "losing friends" issue. If someone chose to be your friend they already know what you look like. They stopped being your friend because you are full of yourself dramallama
I don't know what's more sad, her delusions of grandeur or the men falling for it... yeah they're equally ********.

Oh yeah, I hope you are aware of Dailymail's troll status.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff