Welcome to Gaia! ::

Newbie Pumpkin

God Emperor Akhenaton
Is a moron. We live in America where we have higher wages. As a result, companies prefer places where they can pay people less. You can be a blue collar man all you want, but the days of the blue collar job are going away either withering down to service jobs or what little factory work is left. If you were a businessman, would you hire a few guys for $10 an hour to build calculators or would you hire children in a Cambodian orphanage who can do the same work and get paid in baseball cards? In the end, the only thing separating you from the third world is an education. So getting a college degree or at least a vocational education is vital as our nation replaces those jobs with skilled ones.

but middle class people are so unhappy.... i known homeless people happier than people who make 20 bucks an hour! middle class is like text book definition of mid life crisis defined! where those in lower society is far more social with far more self actualized individuals.... middle class is so up-tight... many lower end places they will smoke pot on break at work.... may sound retarded however that relaxed atmosphere in contrast to bitter professionalism has depth of meaning that makes life worth living...... 'it's the small things..... your 'homies'
Tactical Leg Sweep
Entirely depends on what it is you want to do, and how you define "higher education". You do not need a college degree to open a business, and that money would be better spent investing into said business. Business degrees are nigh useless. Agriculture? No.

More people would be better off picking up trades rather than going to college to "figure out" what it is they want to do and get a useless degree that doesn't help them at all. If you want to go to law school? Certainly. Medicine? Certainly. Some type of scientist or scholar? Sure. Many other jobs? No.

It's not really advisable to jump into a business without some kind of degree in business management. The people who get rich without a degree as I stated are a very rare minority and often times they already have a brain of an entrepreneur. The average person needs skills and I am not against trade skills. They are great, they make jobs, but just being a HS graduate does not.
Samadhi23
God Emperor Akhenaton
Samadhi23
God Emperor Akhenaton
Is a moron. We live in America where we have higher wages. As a result, companies prefer places where they can pay people less. You can be a blue collar man all you want, but the days of the blue collar job are going away either withering down to service jobs or what little factory work is left. If you were a businessman, would you hire a few guys for $10 an hour to build calculators or would you hire children in a Cambodian orphanage who can do the same work and get paid in baseball cards? In the end, the only thing separating you from the third world is an education. So getting a college degree or at least a vocational education is vital as our nation replaces those jobs with skilled ones.

The problem is that our colleges have been so dumbed down to increase graduation rates (and hence increase revenue for the college) that a bachelor's is approximately equivalent to an 8th grade education was fifty years ago. End result? Even with earning a four year degree, your job is still better off getting shipped overseas.

My education has been far from an 8th grade level. I am only an undergrad and already I am an aviation encyclopedia.

Your Relevancy = 0.

Many people with four and six year degrees are making peanuts due to a diluted job market.

And many people without degrees are making nothing. And those that are should expect their factory to end up in China.
Apothyc Shogun
God Emperor Akhenaton
Apothyc Shogun
God Emperor Akhenaton
Yes the middle class is rapidly disappearing, along with all our safety nets like social security.

Actually if no one went to college none of this would be happening, most of the debt comes from college pricks who couldn't pay off their student loans.

If you can make money, you will, if not you wont. The days of the golden star sticker are gone.

I'm going to college simply to put off another 4 years before I have to dive headfirst into this utter shitstorm I inherited. If you got a window out you better take it quick, this is just the beginning.

This "debt" comes from people who are reckless. I have had bad cases with jobs. Getting laid off and what not. But I never skipped any payment on any bill or card. I have a score of 800 last I checked.
Yes, the majority being college pricks, come on everyone knows them they spend all their financial aid on nice new cars and a fat apartment and plummet themselves into loans after around the first year or so. Because college is the best time of their lives they can in no way possibly get a job.

The problem is college has become a predatory instituition, it takes these kids for a for a ride then when they get their certificate it's worth no where near what they paid for it.

Idk once you get near that point you realize it is a scam, rich kids already have a position waiting for them after college, they get special privileges other students don't.

This is why there are so many school shootings. The American dream is that if you work hard you automatically become rich, I put in just as much as the next guy, but this simply isn't the case anymore. What little opportunity left is in a stranglehold by the people who got there first.

Even the beans are in on it, everyone is riding this b***h to the grave. We are starting to live in a post modern era.You have to play smart cause if you fall for it like the others you will be in so much debt that you wont be able to pay the interest on your debt and you will become a slave.

Except that these college pricks are getting jobs after college while factories are getting closed down.
Zax Strife
God Emperor Akhenaton
Zax Strife
God Emperor Akhenaton
Zax Strife
God Emperor Akhenaton

The numbers still favor the educated. It's not a risk. What is a risk is not getting a college education. You people are like a revolving door of coming up with the same argument that I have debunked a page or two ago.

Look, dude, the only thing that needs debunking is your ********' head.

Higher education isn't for me. It's not for everybody. It's good, that you think it's important. It really truly is.

But your whole zealous 'everybody needs it' ideals just don't fly.

Then feel free to enjoy the unemployment line. The only thing that is blue collar is this country is service. Factory jobs are disappearing, making it a lot harder to get a job meanwhile 95.8% of college graduates are employed

And you enjoy bankruptcy and a life full of debt. smile

Umm... I'm in college as is and I have a credit score of 800, never missing a payment. Even if there is debt, those people can pay it off. It's better than being on welfare the rest of your life.

Good for you. Way to exaggerate, on the whole welfare thing. That's a cute little scare tactic for others to read. I'm not on welfare. I've never been on welfare. Yeah, I don't have money to go out and blow on fun things, but I always have my bills paid, there's always food in my pantry, and I've always got enough money to take a girl out on a date.

Beyond that, I don't care. You've got yourself so wrapped up in how much money you're making, and what your credit score is, that you're not really living your life. To steal a movie quote:

"You are not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your ******** khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."

Then enjoy it while it lasts. I don't think you would be as confident when your job gets exported or replaced by an immigrant.
God Emperor Akhenaton

Then enjoy it while it lasts. I don't think you would be as confident when your job gets exported or replaced by an immigrant.

I don't think an immigrant is going to take a job fixing computers and writing server-side PHP. My market's pretty solid.
Zax Strife
God Emperor Akhenaton

I don't think an immigrant is going to take a job fixing computers and writing server-side PHP. My market's pretty solid.

Then you have a skill, thus proving my point.
God Emperor Akhenaton
Zax Strife
God Emperor Akhenaton

Right, but not because I went to college. I'm completely self taught, man. You're saying you need a higher education to be successful in life. I haven't paid a single dime toward a higher education in the information technology field.
Zax Strife
God Emperor Akhenaton
Zax Strife
God Emperor Akhenaton

Right, but not because I went to college. I'm completely self taught, man. You're saying you need a higher education to be successful in life. I haven't paid a single dime toward a higher education in the information technology field.

It's still a skill and you never listened to my OP. Are we done here or am I going to have to block you for strawmanning this entire thing?
God Emperor Akhenaton
Zax Strife
God Emperor Akhenaton
Zax Strife
God Emperor Akhenaton

It's still a skill and you never listened to my OP. Are we done here or am I going to have to block you for strawmanning this entire thing?

Nah, I think we're done here. gonk It's super late, and I gotta catch some ZzzzZzzz for work.

Timid Genius

God Emperor Akhenaton
Apothyc Shogun
God Emperor Akhenaton
Apothyc Shogun
God Emperor Akhenaton
Yes the middle class is rapidly disappearing, along with all our safety nets like social security.

Actually if no one went to college none of this would be happening, most of the debt comes from college pricks who couldn't pay off their student loans.

If you can make money, you will, if not you wont. The days of the golden star sticker are gone.

I'm going to college simply to put off another 4 years before I have to dive headfirst into this utter shitstorm I inherited. If you got a window out you better take it quick, this is just the beginning.

This "debt" comes from people who are reckless. I have had bad cases with jobs. Getting laid off and what not. But I never skipped any payment on any bill or card. I have a score of 800 last I checked.
Yes, the majority being college pricks, come on everyone knows them they spend all their financial aid on nice new cars and a fat apartment and plummet themselves into loans after around the first year or so. Because college is the best time of their lives they can in no way possibly get a job.

The problem is college has become a predatory instituition, it takes these kids for a for a ride then when they get their certificate it's worth no where near what they paid for it.

Idk once you get near that point you realize it is a scam, rich kids already have a position waiting for them after college, they get special privileges other students don't.

This is why there are so many school shootings. The American dream is that if you work hard you automatically become rich, I put in just as much as the next guy, but this simply isn't the case anymore. What little opportunity left is in a stranglehold by the people who got there first.

Even the beans are in on it, everyone is riding this b***h to the grave. We are starting to live in a post modern era.You have to play smart cause if you fall for it like the others you will be in so much debt that you wont be able to pay the interest on your debt and you will become a slave.

Except that these college pricks are getting jobs after college while factories are getting closed down.
My work buddy got his bachelor's degree, he has to drive two hours to work were I do. This is exactly the problem. You were taught college was everything, the star on the flag if you go it is just smooth sailing. We are in a recession, there aren't jobs for anyone. People are lined up for work who got their degrees back in 07' and so on so when you get your degree yes you have cut out the riftraft, but you are quite behind. Infact what has happened now is that these people earn their master's and because businesses can't afford to pay them they turn them down because they are overqualified or underpay them.

You might have noticed this with teachers when you went to school, they would fire all the teachers who worked there the longest, because a teacher's pay depends on senoirity.

All colleges are bankrupt, even Harvard because people couldn't really afford it and were living on credit. So if you get a degree from a bankrupt college the degree is worthless.

I'm going to college I understand how important it is, but everyone is stuck in a fantasy era that you will somehow be this top rate citizen above the others. The positions at high paying jobs are reserved for the kids who are already set to go, you gotta wake up to the reality dude.

Everything has went back to normal, the rich get richer, and if you want a piece of the pie the only thing that is going to stand out is a plethora of experience.
I have a GED and am running my own business. So now you don't need s**t to be a good worker or to know what you are doing. There was a time when we ask if you can do the work and you had to prove it when they showed up. Now it's bull s**t for about a page or two and hope they pick you over the other bull shitters.
Apothyc Shogun
My work buddy got his bachelor's degree, he has to drive two hours to work were I do. This is exactly the problem. You were taught college was everything, the star on the flag if you go it is just smooth sailing. We are in a recession, there aren't jobs for anyone. People are lined up for work who got their degrees back in 07' and so on so when you get your degree yes you have cut out the riftraft, but you are quite behind. Infact what has happened now is that these people earn their master's and because businesses can't afford to pay them they turn them down because they are overqualified or underpay them.

Except they are employed. People with degrees are WAY better off than the uneducated. People with no skill are useless in society. Think about it. If you ran a business, would you hire Americans for $10/hr or would you go to India and hire people with the same skills for .25 cents/hr? The dirty secret is that your labor is too expensive and workers frankly are as replaceable as lightbulbs.

Apothyc Shogun
You might have noticed this with teachers when you went to school, they would fire all the teachers who worked there the longest, because a teacher's pay depends on senoirity.

Actually where I live, there is almost no funding for schools. Teachers get paid minimum wage.

Apothyc Shogun
All colleges are bankrupt, even Harvard because people couldn't really afford it and were living on credit. So if you get a degree from a bankrupt college the degree is worthless.

Sauce?

Apothyc Shogun
I'm going to college I understand how important it is, but everyone is stuck in a fantasy era that you will somehow be this top rate citizen above the others. The positions at high paying jobs are reserved for the kids who are already set to go, you gotta wake up to the reality dude.

Actually Americans need to get out of this fantasy world of theirs that makes them believe that everyone is equal. No. People who are smarter and make more money are worth more than the blue collar Americans.

Apothyc Shogun
Everything has went back to normal, the rich get richer, and if you want a piece of the pie the only thing that is going to stand out is a plethora of experience.

Actually a lot of wealthy are losing their wealth because they rode the stock markets during the Reaganomics craze in the 80' and then crashed during the recession. Just because someone is rich does not mean they can't be bankrupted.
theothermanoverthere
I have a GED and am running my own business. So now you don't need s**t to be a good worker or to know what you are doing. There was a time when we ask if you can do the work and you had to prove it when they showed up. Now it's bull s**t for about a page or two and hope they pick you over the other bull shitters.

And how is that business going along? Can I ride in your private jet?

Timid Genius

God Emperor Akhenaton

Except they are employed. People with degrees are WAY better off than the uneducated. People with no skill are useless in society. Think about it. If you ran a business, would you hire Americans for $10/hr or would you go to India and hire people with the same skills for .25 cents/hr? The dirty secret is that your labor is too expensive and workers frankly are as replaceable as lightbulbs.

Actually where I live, there is almost no funding for schools. Teachers get paid minimum wage.

Sauce?

Actually Americans need to get out of this fantasy world of theirs that makes them believe that everyone is equal. No. People who are smarter and make more money are worth more than the blue collar Americans.

Actually a lot of wealthy are losing their wealth because they rode the stock markets during the Reaganomics craze in the 80' and then crashed during the recession. Just because someone is rich does not mean they can't be bankrupted.
It is a 1 up but don't think having an education get's you 24$ an hour, you'll probably be working minimum wage for quite some time, this is were the problem comes from, kids plummet themselves into debt they can't declare bankruptcy on, thinking they will have a high paying job the minute they get out to solve their problems. I agree having an education is important, but I also believe starting off -60G as compared to starting off 0 flat is ******** stupid. And the fact that anyone would assume that that debt will disappear anytime soon is also stupid.

Americans believe in capitalism, we are not socialists, when we say that everyone is equal it means everyone is treated the same, having the same rights regardless of status.

People who are smarter are worth more than half the human population on Earth, people who make more money are obviously worth more that is a given.

I'm smart, I'm going to make money, you are going to ride the gravy train down the credit hole. You need street smarts as much as book smarts, especially if you plan to apply them to the field.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff