Welcome to Gaia! ::

Senator Armstrong
Why the ******** do you people care so much about video games?
Gaming's been one of those anchors of sanity I had in my life. It's one of the purest forms of entertainment I know and engaged in, especially since my days of actual stage acting are long done.

Gamers are my people, and despite some shitbirds and tumors in the ranks, I'll defend the hobby to the point of blood if need be.

Also, I'm not the one who's handle is the same as a video game character's.

soa kain's Husband

Aged Genius

GSK Lives
Senator Armstrong
Gaming's been one of those anchors of sanity I had in my life. It's one of the purest forms of entertainment I know and engaged in, especially since my days of actual stage acting are long done.

Gamers are my people, and despite some shitbirds and tumors in the ranks, I'll defend the hobby to the point of blood if need be.

life is horrible at times unforgiving and relentless
never underestimate the value of being able to just pretend that YOU dont exist and instead of worry and pain of the world there is joy and adventure.
fantasy may not be healthy but its important in everyone's life.
and those who either indulge permanently in it or refuse it entirely near always go insane
laffett
GSK Lives
Senator Armstrong

never underestimate the value of being able to just pretend that YOU dont exist and instead of worry and pain of the world there is joy and adventure.
and those who either indulge permanently in it or refuse it entirely near always go insane

The thing is, I'm sure Senator has his means of escape that he indulges in. Fer ******** sake, the man plays Magic: The Gathering, yet here he is shitting all over the medium and it's people.

Do I give some people crap within the ranks. YES. But I'm at least selective about who I light into and I do it on the basis of their actions alone and handle it individually.

Some dipshit engages in sexist or racist talk at my gametable? They're out.

Some co-op/DM group in a video game engages in sexist or racist garbage? I leave and tell them where they can shove it on the way out.

Quotable Prophet

GSK Lives
laffett
GSK Lives
Senator Armstrong

The thing is, I'm sure Senator has his means of escape that he indulges in. Fer ******** sake, the man plays Magic: The Gathering, yet here he is shitting all over the medium and it's people.

Do I give some people crap within the ranks. YES. But I'm at least selective about who I light into and I do it on the basis of their actions alone and handle it individually.

Some dipshit engages in sexist or racist talk at my gametable? They're out.

Some co-op/DM group in a video game engages in sexist or racist garbage? I leave and tell them where they can shove it on the way out.

Guy has a point though. I mean, I like video games as much as the next person, but part of the reason why gamergate doesn't attract me (other than the noted harassment of women, a major core aspect involving battling with the "social justice warriors" that by all accounts isn't exactly hand in hand with the claimed goal of wanting journalistic integrity, and general confusion of just what their primary motivation is) is the simple fact that I don't care about gaming journalism. I've never even heard of half these gaming news sites before this whole thing blew up and pointed them out.

I get the games I want to play. If I'm curious or uncertain, I'll read reviews from other actual players of the game. If I listen to any critiques about those games, it'd be from sources like zero punctuation or Angry Jo that highlight intricacies and issues with the games. And if I really want to, I'll even watch bits of a lets play of the game to see if it's something worth getting or if it'll just give me a migraine. The whole journalistic integrity thing doesn't really appeal to me because I'm not involved in it, so I'm in a situation where I'm the outside looking into a situation that seems to have just spiraled out of control and completely out of context.

Girl-Crazy Lunatic

10,750 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Timid 100
  • Clambake 200
GSK Lives
Nitroglycerific Rainbow

Not to mention that highly publicized case of GGs threatening "the largest school shooting in American history" over a talk scheduled to be given by gaming critic Anita Sarkeesian at Utah State University.

How was the threatener connected to GG again?
Upon further research, I can't seem to find the connection. I humbly retract that statement.

That said, it's not exactly a good sign when your organization is associated with terrorist threats, and it sounds so goddamn believable. But in all fairness, without evidence to directly link the two, it's still just conjecture on my part. That's not fair. Still, I maintain my other links as examples of Gamergate harassers.
black_wing_angel
Mei tsuki7
God-The-RapistV2.0
Mei tsuki7
God-The-RapistV2.0

Five Guys started the Quinnspiracy.

Trying to cover it up and attacking gamers started GamerGate.

They are two different things.

That does not explain anything. Who covered what up? If it didn't happen then there is nothing to cover up. And the "attacks" on gamers started when they started harassing Zoe Quin and other female gamers, game designers and outspoken feminists. The foundation of GamerGate is misogyny clear and simple.

User Image

I'm honestly still confused by where Zoe Quinn plays into this.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't she the IndieCade winner who had slept with several of the judges?

Quote:
Unless you're saying she doesn't and all of the stuff surrounding her was used as a smear campaign?

Also, I was good with that infographic until it basically used SJW as a slur. You guys really need to get that s**t out of your stuff.

PS. One of my biggest issues with GamerGate is that somehow something that is a secondary problem to many other things, such as the huge amount of rape and sexual assault at cons, has been taken up by so many people. Why are ethics somehow more important to people than sexual assault and sexism? (And yes, there is a huge amount of sexism in the gaming industry. People who say there isn't are blind.)

Probably because that's the issue that appeals to them, more. It's a matter of priorities. Someone won a contest with an allegedly shitty game, alegedly dishonestly, and then responded to the backlash by calling out all gamers as vile human excrement. Which, rightfully, pisses off the gamers. It's a problem that targets ALL gamers, rather than sexual assault, which targets only so many. So that's where the collective priority lies.

Except everything I've read about Zoe Quinn has to do with a review not a contest and it was found out to be false accusations anyway.

There's a huge difference between journalistic integrity and sexual assault. One is far, far more serious than the other even if it only happens to some gamers.

Also, I still haven't seen a source for this dishonesty. Plus I still have issues with GamerGate seeing as 4Chan is still leading it with Zoe Quinn's ex, ya know the one who lied about her cheating on him and sleeping with a journalist, at the helm.
GSK Lives

the blog her bf made that "doxxed" her is still up if you just google it

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/zoe-quinns-depression-quest

and this cites that a threat was made on 4chan

wow that took like 30 seconds. now go away you ******** idiot.
sitting cow
GSK Lives

I already said that the movement was astroturfed, I was talking more about the threats of violence, especially the threatened shooting at one of Sarkeesian's appearances.
GSK Lives
sitting cow
GSK Lives

I already said that the movement was astroturfed, I was talking more about the threats of violence, especially the threatened shooting at one of Sarkeesian's appearances.

wow it's right here in my post:

why are you being so dumb?
sitting cow
GSK Lives
sitting cow
GSK Lives

I read it. It doesn't connect the dots, especially to the threatened university shooting.

You continue to be a horse's a** with the insults, and we're finished. First and only warning.
GSK Lives
sitting cow
GSK Lives
sitting cow
GSK Lives

I read it. It doesn't connect the dots, especially to the threatened university shooting.

You continue to be a horse's a** with the insults, and we're finished. First and only warning.

what are you talking about? how is this not a threat: “Next time she shows up at a conference we … give her a crippling injury that’s never going to fully heal … a good solid injury to the knees. I’d say a brain damage, but we don’t want to make it so she ends up too retarded to fear us.”

>especially to the threatened university shooting.

nevermind that now you are asking for something totally different than what's in your op, here rolleyes

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/14/6978809/utah-state-university-receives-shooting-threat-for-anita-sarkeesian-visit

>You continue to be a horse's a** with the insults, and we're finished.

but you're being exceptionally stupid.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
I don't think people fully appreciate the difference between allegations and evidence. What reason is there to think that doxxing or threats made by anonymous 4Chan trolls speaks for the majority of gamers or people disappointed in gaming media outlets attempting to ostracize their core demographic?

Stone-cold Aggressor

13,250 Points
  • PvP 200
  • 50 Wins 150
God-The-RapistV2.0
Riviera de la Mancha
Really though, its hard to think of any of these kind of things ever being so directly attributable to just one group. The whole idea behind the internet is that you get to be anonymous, so I think you necessarily have to at least infer a little bit because the evidence isn't going to be so air-tight.

I just find it generally hard to believe that the people on both sides just so "happened" to doxx, harass, threaten, etc. right around the time this situation came about. Or that they just so "happened" to target the people involved on both sides.

In the real world there is no such thing as 'anonymous' everything you do can be traced and linked back to the person who originated it. If there was evidence to be found, it would have been found.

Fact
Woman charged by police for false rape claim as they tracked down the post and found it was from her comp
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

According to authorities, she made the controversial post, then denounced it on the page, inspiring UW authorities to investigate who had posted the message.

So yes for the most part anything you do online can come back to you.

Salty Gawker

Just letting you know that if you want to know more about gamergate. Go visit /r/Kotakuinaction or 8chan/gg/

Now back to emailing advertisers on how abusive gawker is.

Btw there will always be a 3rd party ******** over both sides in this fight. STOP GENERALIZING!
Yoshpet
I don't think people fully appreciate the difference between allegations and evidence. What reason is there to think that doxxing or threats made by anonymous 4Chan trolls speaks for the majority of gamers or people disappointed in gaming media outlets attempting to ostracize their core demographic?

Because it fits their narrative.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces