Welcome to Gaia! ::

I had this conversation with an IRL friend of mine last night. Not always the brightest of fellows, and a stanuch GG'er, but when I mentioned all the shinnegans, doxxing, threats, ect...that GG is supposed to be engaged in, he asked a very simple question. "Where are they and did they claim to be GG?"

Annnnnnd I got stumped.

Oh, I tried to counter. I engaged my Google fu and went right to trying to find the volumes of dizzying anti woman Return of Kings style rhetoric that GG was supposed to be hurling. I'm all too familiar with the grotesquery of the manosphere and figured it would be easy knowing these dirtbags. After all, I'm the b***h that introduced some of y'all to Vox Day and Sunshine Mary.

And I couldn't find jack s**t.

Make no mistake, some cretins have been engaged in the usual mouthbreather talk, and yea, somebody claimed to want to do Eric Lepine 2: Feminists Must Die with Anita in the scream queen role, but none of these supposed paladins of all things manly and GamerGate even linked themselves to the group. They really did come off as lone punks.

This is changing my stance on the whole thing. Oh, I still find GamerGate's selective outrage at Zoe Quinn and Kotaku while giving Gamespot a pass after ******** Gerstmann with no lube to be very suspect, but this idea that it's some MRA/Masculinist pushback? I'm not so sure anymore.

Those of you smacking GamerGate around, do tell, where ARE these vile threats and harassment done in the name of GG?

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
GSK Lives
I had this conversation with an IRL friend of mine last night. Not always the brightest of fellows, and a stanuch GG'er, but when I mentioned all the shinnegans, doxxing, threats, ect...that GG is supposed to be engaged in, he asked a very simple question. "Where are they and did they claim to be GG?"

Annnnnnd I got stumped.

Oh, I tried to counter. I engaged my Google fu and went right to trying to find the volumes of dizzying anti woman Return of Kings style rhetoric that GG was supposed to be hurling. I'm all too familiar with the grotesquery of the manosphere and figured it would be easy knowing these dirtbags. After all, I'm the b***h that introduced some of y'all to Vox Day and Sunshine Mary.

Make no mistake, some cretins have been engaged in the usual mouthbreather talk, and yea, somebody claimed to want to do Eric Lepine 2: Feminists Must Die with Anita in the scream queen role, but none of these supposed paladins of all things manly and GamerGate even linked themselves to the group. They really did come off as lone punks.

This is changing my stance on the whole thing. Oh, I still find GamerGate's selective outrage at Zoe Quinn and Kotaku while giving Gamespot a pass after ******** Gerstmann with no lube to be very suspect, but this idea that it's some MRA/Masculinist pushback? I'm not so sure anymore.

Those of you smacking GamerGate around, do tell, where ARE these vile threats and harassment done in the name of GG?

They give Gamespot a pass? Are they pants-on-head stupid or something?
Dion Necurat
GSK Lives

Annnnnnd I got stumped.

It's almost never mentioned. I've yet to see a GG rant mention it, Gamespot, or the Kane&Lynch debacle.

But considering that's now my only real gripe with GG right now, that's encouraging.
Really though, its hard to think of any of these kind of things ever being so directly attributable to just one group. The whole idea behind the internet is that you get to be anonymous, so I think you necessarily have to at least infer a little bit because the evidence isn't going to be so air-tight.

I just find it generally hard to believe that the people on both sides just so "happened" to doxx, harass, threaten, etc. right around the time this situation came about. Or that they just so "happened" to target the people involved on both sides.
Riviera de la Mancha
Really though, its hard to think of any of these kind of things ever being so directly attributable to just one group. The whole idea behind the internet is that you get to be anonymous, so I think you necessarily have to at least infer a little bit because the evidence isn't going to be so air-tight.

I just find it generally hard to believe that the people on both sides just so "happened" to doxx, harass, threaten, etc. right around the time this situation came about. Or that they just so "happened" to target the people involved on both sides.

In the real world there is no such thing as 'anonymous' everything you do can be traced and linked back to the person who originated it. If there was evidence to be found, it would have been found.
God-The-RapistV2.0
Riviera de la Mancha

In the real world there is no such thing as 'anonymous' everything you do can be traced and linked back to the person who originated it. If there was evidence to be found, it would have been found.

That sort of reasoning also seems to be a stretch as well. It reminds me of some of the anti-evolution people who argue that we would have already found a bunch of intermediate animals if evolution were real.

In the real world, there are just not often enough facts to definitively say who did what or, more problematically, why. You then have to infer to some extent.

Kaze Drimn's Prince

Lavish Businessman

GSK Lives
Dion Necurat
GSK Lives

Annnnnnd I got stumped.

It's almost never mentioned. I've yet to see a GG rant mention it, Gamespot, or the Kane&Lynch debacle.

But considering that's now my only real gripe with GG right now, that's encouraging.

They do, it just doesn't come up in articles, and likely won't since Gerstmann wrote a hit piece about GamerGate on Giantbomb.

Right now, they're focusing on something more recent, the blackballing of Alistair Pinsof by the GameJournoPros mailing list and Destructoid. The EIC of Destructoid just quit yesterday, coincidentally.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/10/gamergate-destructoid-corruption-and-ruined-careers/

Before you go "blogjob," that's a writer for Cinemablend's gaming wing.
Riviera de la Mancha
God-The-RapistV2.0
Riviera de la Mancha

That sort of reasoning also seems to be a stretch as well. It reminds me of some of the anti-evolution people who argue that we would have already found a bunch of intermediate animals if evolution were real.

In the real world, there are just not often enough facts to definitively say who did what or, more problematically, why. You then have to infer to some extent.

Ok, so maybe what I said was a little biased and heavy handed. But as it stands right now there is at least a little evidence out there that makes me question the validity of the claims yet none that I have found that supports them other than people saying "Because I said so."

King Noob

God-The-RapistV2.0
Riviera de la Mancha

Lol at the facebook comments on the article:

Quote:
when the anonymous person said she was hot, that should have been their first clue that she was sending the message to herself

----

Aren't there ways around being traced? I know there are ways to change your computer's number so that it shows up as a different country. If you are determined enough you can do it on a public computer like at a library or something.
Mister George Kapland
Isn't that like going "You know Special Ops killed that guy"
"Did they say there were special ops."
"Well...no...but they acted like spec-ops. They did spec-ops things"
"Well they're not spec-ops. I support spec-ops, and unless they said it they didn't do it"

So where's the actual connective evidence?

Repeat, this is me you're talking to, I know that the manosphere CAN stoop to lovecraftian depths for s**t like this, but what I want is evidence that they DID.

Dapper Man-Lover

14,525 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Brandisher 100
Did we ever find out who made the death threats against Anita? I know 4chan thinks that it was a feminist who made them to give Anita more victimhood publicity. Kinda like the feminists that said they were going to release Emma Watson's n***s but pretended to be part of 4chan. The guys at /pol/ were doing a bunch of analysis on the writing. There are programs that can guess the gender of the write based on sentence structure and they all indicated the writer of Anita's threats were from a woman. I was just wondering if we had any word on that.

Also why there wasn't more outrage over Gerstmann mostly has to do with the fact that there was no actual fight. People were pissed off at Gamespot and questioned journalistic integrity but there was no one defending Gamespot to fight. IN gamergate people are defending Zoey Quinn, people are defending Kotaku and the journalists are fighting back announcing gamers are dead and what not. As long as people continue to defend the Journalists and push their ideology on gamers the gamers of gamer gate will continue to fight back.
Lambs and Lions
Did we ever find out who made the death threats against Anita?

No, and this just happened.

User Image
GSK Lives

User Image
I have a question. Was it ever "proven" that Zoe Quinn actually slept with that guy? I mean, is the event that started Gamergate even real?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff