Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fanatical Zealot

Riviera de la Mancha
Jessi Danger
User Image

Exactly. The important thing to note is that he is considered top shelf in the 'aliens exist' camp. Put another way, if the 'aliens exist' camp had to pick their best warrior to do battle for their cause, they pick him.

I'm not sure they got to choose.

Cause if I got to choose, I'm pretty sure I'd pick me. ninja

Fanatical Zealot

Riviera de la Mancha
Suicidesoldier#1
Riviera de la Mancha
Suicidesoldier#1
Riviera de la Mancha
Here is my take on aliens...

First, I do believe that we are the only sentient and intelligent beings in our solar system and, most likely, within our galaxy.

Second, if there are other intelligent life in our galaxy, I think that just about every argument I have heard from alien theorists about why aliens would come to earth or be interested in man is dumb. If there are aliens in our galaxy, I think they would, at best, merely find us interesting to watch, assuming they are advanced enough to have mastered travel between solar systems and over long distances in space.

Finally, I dont think aliens from other galaxies outside of our own could realistically come to visit us. There is little cause to think that we would share some of the same basic stuff, like the weight of atoms or the force of gravity, which would keep them from being able to visit us, even if they wanted.

Inside our own galaxy?

Out of the billions of stars you think we're the only ones capable of supporting life?

Not life- I said sentient and intelligent. Its already been proven that there is life on other planets in our own solar system in the form of microbes.

In terms of sentient and intelligent life, yes, based on what we know so far about the incredibly precise conditions required for at least carbon-based life to form in our galaxy. I have a hard time imagining there is another sun out there that also had a planet form with our similar make up at just the right distance to form life.

There could I suppose be like silicon-based life forms, but, like I said, based on what I know at present, I dont buy it.

Life occurred on Venus and Mars. Both were hit by large asteroids and were set into cooling and heating periods much quicker.

Most terrestrial planets in the galaxy are much larger than us however, which makes it highly likely that they'd suffer less impact from meteorites and asteroids and things.

However Venus was just like earth about 300 million years ago and probably later. Had it not been for that asteroid they may have been a lot like us. While they were closer to the sun the planet's atmosphere was slightly thicker, and they shouldn't have burnt out as soon as they did.

The exact precision needed to create life are actually much lower. As far as sentient goes, or at least similar intelligence to humans, it only seems a natural development over time, as it's an advantageous trait. Eventually it's bound to take over if life develops there. When is of question but in the galaxy? Oh it's probably happened a lot.

When we look at all moons on all the gas giants and everything else it almost seems impossible that there isn't life everywhere.

Considering the fact that DNA is naturally self replicating and everything our bodies are made out of has occurred as a result of naturally inherent chemical reactions with each other it only seems as if it's a logical absolute, instead of a possibility.

I just read one long ramble that worked so hard to avoid my argument.

What argument?

You said life needs uber precise conditions- I said actually the whole Goldilocks not too hot not too warm or else it will turn into a ball of fire like Venus or get too cold like Mars is probably not true.

Sense that's the case, the habitable zone in accordance with the distance from the sun gets remarkably larger, it can be between earth, mars, and Venus, not necessarily just in the exact position of earth.

considering that, and how planets there are in these positions and not just almost exactly earth like, we can clearly see how sentient life would develop on these planets given the fact that there is probably more life in the universe, and therefore more of a chance for sentient life.

Also the fact that life is a lot more likely to pop up.

Considering the fact that life just happened randomly and how our DNA codes naturally string themselves together, if these amino acid's just found themselves in nature then they would just naturally form into life the same way. Life is a just a number of chemical reactions that are bound to happen. It's a naturally binary system. If you get the right stuff going it's almost inevitable.

As far as life like us goes?

Idk. Squids and octopus's are said to be pretty smart though.

Fanatical Zealot

There are on average 300 billion stars in the galaxy.

About half of those are determined to be stars like our own sun.

There is on average 1.6 planets per star.

About 2% of those might have some earth like analogs, in that they may be similar enough sized to earth, terrestrial as in made of rock, and in the habitable zone, so about 10 billion. Only a small number of those would be where we would want them to be.

This makes up about 2 billion planets in the galaxy that resemble earth- this can be planets over 5 times our size, sense if they had a similar iron core they'd only have about 1.4 times our gravity. Not a lot, considering the trillions that are floating around in space without suns.

Of these they need a solid atmosphere, and water, and all kinds of things, to be exactly earth like- no no, not harbor life, as even a moon like Titan could harbor life, we're talking about being just like earth.

Out of these 2 billion planets under perfect conditions, it is hard to imagine that at least one them didn't form life like us.

It is almost an inevitability.

DNA forms naturally, operates naturally, and anywhere it is present it is likely life in some form or another has developed. This leads to evolution, which in turn likely leads to sentient life after a long enough time period, say a few billion years, which the universe has been around longer than that and the milky way is one of the oldest Galaxies at 13.2 billion years old.

Maybe nowhere near us.

But out of the billions of stars in our galaxy, it's likely happened at least once, if not thousands or millions of times.

That means that if life like us did form a million times out of 300 billion, we're talking about 1 out of 300,000 stars holds life like us. Granted, in the center of the milky way they are much closer together but out here, our closest star is 4.5 light years away. On average stars are 5-10 light years away from each other at the edge of the milky way. It's difficult to imagine that there would be a planet, just like ours, capable of supporting life, with life like us anywhere near by, unless aliens went around purposely landing colonies like ourselves there to spread themselves or something.

That doesn't mean that the galaxy as a whole doesn't harbor life like us though. It's almost too unlikely that it doesn't.

Enduring Phantom

If we think we're the only life in the universe, then we're damn stupid.

So yes, I believe that there is inevitably life somewhere out there. It's only a matter of time before we find it...or it finds us, of course.

Fanatical Zealot

Resonare Praeteriti

So yes, I believe that there is inevitably life somewhere out there. It's only a matter of time before we find it...or it finds us, of course.

Dun-dun-dun!

Enduring Phantom

Suicidesoldier#1
Resonare Praeteriti

Dun-dun-dun!

And then the release date for this random, new sci-fi with flashy special effects flashes across the screen to follow up the catch phrase and dramatic music. After that...the feature presentation starts, but not before they tell you to turn off all electronic devices during the movie! emotion_awesome
Resonare Praeteriti

Fallacious reasoning.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
I believe other advanced life forms exist on other planets, but I don't think we've been visited by them.

Enduring Phantom

The Sky Does Not Bow
Resonare Praeteriti

Fallacious reasoning.

Oh, it's you again.

And really, so you have the audacity to assume we're the only sentient creatures, eh? I'd love to hear you scientifically back that up.
Suicidesoldier#1
Riviera de la Mancha
Suicidesoldier#1
Riviera de la Mancha
Suicidesoldier#1
Riviera de la Mancha
Here is my take on aliens...

First, I do believe that we are the only sentient and intelligent beings in our solar system and, most likely, within our galaxy.

Second, if there are other intelligent life in our galaxy, I think that just about every argument I have heard from alien theorists about why aliens would come to earth or be interested in man is dumb. If there are aliens in our galaxy, I think they would, at best, merely find us interesting to watch, assuming they are advanced enough to have mastered travel between solar systems and over long distances in space.

Finally, I dont think aliens from other galaxies outside of our own could realistically come to visit us. There is little cause to think that we would share some of the same basic stuff, like the weight of atoms or the force of gravity, which would keep them from being able to visit us, even if they wanted.

Inside our own galaxy?

Out of the billions of stars you think we're the only ones capable of supporting life?

Not life- I said sentient and intelligent. Its already been proven that there is life on other planets in our own solar system in the form of microbes.

In terms of sentient and intelligent life, yes, based on what we know so far about the incredibly precise conditions required for at least carbon-based life to form in our galaxy. I have a hard time imagining there is another sun out there that also had a planet form with our similar make up at just the right distance to form life.

There could I suppose be like silicon-based life forms, but, like I said, based on what I know at present, I dont buy it.

Life occurred on Venus and Mars. Both were hit by large asteroids and were set into cooling and heating periods much quicker.

Most terrestrial planets in the galaxy are much larger than us however, which makes it highly likely that they'd suffer less impact from meteorites and asteroids and things.

However Venus was just like earth about 300 million years ago and probably later. Had it not been for that asteroid they may have been a lot like us. While they were closer to the sun the planet's atmosphere was slightly thicker, and they shouldn't have burnt out as soon as they did.

The exact precision needed to create life are actually much lower. As far as sentient goes, or at least similar intelligence to humans, it only seems a natural development over time, as it's an advantageous trait. Eventually it's bound to take over if life develops there. When is of question but in the galaxy? Oh it's probably happened a lot.

When we look at all moons on all the gas giants and everything else it almost seems impossible that there isn't life everywhere.

Considering the fact that DNA is naturally self replicating and everything our bodies are made out of has occurred as a result of naturally inherent chemical reactions with each other it only seems as if it's a logical absolute, instead of a possibility.

What argument?

You said life needs uber precise conditions- I said actually the whole Goldilocks not too hot not too warm or else it will turn into a ball of fire like Venus or get too cold like Mars is probably not true.

Sense that's the case, the habitable zone in accordance with the distance from the sun gets remarkably larger, it can be between earth, mars, and Venus, not necessarily just in the exact position of earth.

considering that, and how planets there are in these positions and not just almost exactly earth like, we can clearly see how sentient life would develop on these planets given the fact that there is probably more life in the universe, and therefore more of a chance for sentient life.

Considering the fact that life just happened randomly and how our DNA codes naturally string themselves together, if these amino acid's just found themselves in nature then they would just naturally form into life the same way. Life is a just a number of chemical reactions that are bound to happen. It's a naturally binary system. If you get the right stuff going it's almost inevitable.

Like I said, a long ramble. Where were any of your source citations?

if these amino acid's just found themselves in nature then they would just naturally form into life the same way. -----You

And that is where I tune you out. Amino acids dont just up and automatically combine to form life.Its ridiculous to assume life is bound to happen. Let alone sentient and intelligent life, which is my position.
Resonare Praeteriti
The Sky Does Not Bow
Resonare Praeteriti

Fallacious reasoning.

Oh, it's you again.

And really, so you have the audacity to assume we're the only sentient creatures, eh? I'd love to hear you scientifically back that up.

I can buy that maybe somewhere there might be sentient life, but sentient and intelligent like us? No, and I explained why.

The other poster seems to just be criticizing your reasoning. If he is, then he doesnt need to articulate a position about his own views. He just needs to explain what makes your reasoning fallacious.

Fanatical Zealot

Riviera de la Mancha
Suicidesoldier#1
Riviera de la Mancha
Suicidesoldier#1
Riviera de la Mancha

What argument?

Like I said, a long ramble. Where were any of your source citations?

if these amino acid's just found themselves in nature then they would just naturally form into life the same way. -----You

And that is where I tune you out. Amino acids dont just up and automatically combine to form life.Its ridiculous to assume life is bound to happen. Let alone sentient and intelligent life, which is my position.

Well...

Some people believe that God did it but, more or less DNA is naturally self encoding.

How else do you think it works?

Something would have to be there to make the first lifeform to make the second, in any case it's a naturally self forming process.

It has to be.

It's like saying that when you mix hydrogen and oxygen it just naturally turns into a giant ball of fire and releases water, so when they collide it's bound to happen.

It's self repeating and naturally encoding- there are often errors, but this is more a result of transferring DNA to offspring, and is a natural part of evolution. As long as energy is provided these DNA strands will continue to replicate. It's the reason we can take a tiny DNA sample these days and turn it into a big one, like with PCR, and we only need like 8 cell's worth of DNA to catch someone these days. It'll cause DNA to code itself.

I mean God may have created it and set it into motion, I mean I guess within that context I can't prove that it happened "naturally", but that's just the way it works.

Fanatical Zealot

Resonare Praeteriti
Suicidesoldier#1
Resonare Praeteriti

Dun-dun-dun!

And then the release date for this random, new sci-fi with flashy special effects flashes across the screen to follow up the catch phrase and dramatic music. After that...the feature presentation starts, but not before they tell you to turn off all electronic devices during the movie! emotion_awesome

This summer!

Mel Gibson!

Back in Action!

dun-dun

"Not again..."

Mel Gibson!
User Image
burning_eyes
We are as real
as you are..

not all you think of as human
is full human, some are mixed