Welcome to Gaia! ::

Resonare Praeteriti
The Sky Does Not Bow
Resonare Praeteriti
If we think we're the only life in the universe, then we're damn stupid.

So yes, I believe that there is inevitably life somewhere out there. It's only a matter of time before we find it...or it finds us, of course.

Fallacious reasoning.

Oh, it's you again.

And really, so you have the audacity to assume we're the only sentient creatures, eh? I'd love to hear you scientifically back that up.

It's hard to prove that there aren't any things. Why don't you prove that there are things, hmm? And conjecture doesn't prove anything.

Witty Phantom

7,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Beloved Sex Symbol

Riviera de la Mancha
Resonare Praeteriti
The Sky Does Not Bow
Resonare Praeteriti

So yes, I believe that there is inevitably life somewhere out there. It's only a matter of time before we find it...or it finds us, of course.

Fallacious reasoning.

Oh, it's you again.

And really, so you have the audacity to assume we're the only sentient creatures, eh? I'd love to hear you scientifically back that up.

I can buy that maybe somewhere there might be sentient life, but sentient and intelligent like us? No, and I explained why.

The other poster seems to just be criticizing your reasoning. If he is, then he doesnt need to articulate a position about his own views. He just needs to explain what makes your reasoning fallacious.

I'm not going to read the entire argument, but if you believe in a god or gods, then your theory is disproved. Gods count as a separate species after all, do they not?

Anyways, I just think that we aren't the only intelligent life. There's an entire galaxy with so many possibilities in it alone, and outside of that, an entire universe in which galaxies are as numerous and tiny as the stars in the night sky. Something somewhere is just as smart as us, it's nearly a given.

You're also assuming that all intelligent life has to be composed exactly like us. Evolution and adaptation is a wonderful thing, and it can create some creatures that are even today beyond comprehension. Creatures that shouldn't be able to exist, but are.

Beloved Sex Symbol

Suicidesoldier#1
Resonare Praeteriti
Suicidesoldier#1
Resonare Praeteriti

Dun-dun-dun!

And then the release date for this random, new sci-fi with flashy special effects flashes across the screen to follow up the catch phrase and dramatic music. After that...the feature presentation starts, but not before they tell you to turn off all electronic devices during the movie! emotion_awesome

This summer!

Mel Gibson!

Back in Action!

dun-dun

"Not again..."

Mel Gibson!

It was a normal year in the small town of ********...

*cue the children playing outside happily*

Until they showed up.

*guy points at alien ship* "What the hell is that!?"

*fast dramatic music that sets an urgent tone* This August, the people of ******** will have have to work together--

*cut to scene of movie with the townspeople hiding out in their makeshift shelter in combat outfits*

defeat the enemy--

*flash to a dead silent and still battlefield with aliens and humans lined up on opposite sides in a wall staring each other down*

or die trying.

*leaders let out a battle cry and they charge at each other before it cuts to black and things go silent*

Like it or not...

THEY. *drum beat*

ARE. *drum beat*

HERE.

*explosion*

Beloved Sex Symbol

The Sky Does Not Bow
Resonare Praeteriti
The Sky Does Not Bow
Resonare Praeteriti

Fallacious reasoning.

Oh, it's you again.

It's hard to prove that there aren't any things. Why don't you prove that there are things, hmm? And conjecture doesn't prove anything.

We can't prove one way or the other yet, but the chances of us being an isolated incident, taking into consideration the size of our universe, are so minute that they hardly exist.

Fanatical Zealot

Resonare Praeteriti
Suicidesoldier#1
Resonare Praeteriti
Suicidesoldier#1
Resonare Praeteriti

Dun-dun-dun!

And then the release date for this random, new sci-fi with flashy special effects flashes across the screen to follow up the catch phrase and dramatic music. After that...the feature presentation starts, but not before they tell you to turn off all electronic devices during the movie! emotion_awesome

This summer!

Mel Gibson!

Back in Action!

dun-dun

"Not again..."

Mel Gibson!

Until they showed up.

*fast dramatic music that sets an urgent tone* This August, the people of ******** will have have to work together--

*cut to scene of movie with the townspeople hiding out in their makeshift shelter in combat outfits*

defeat the enemy--

*flash to a dead silent and still battlefield with aliens and humans lined up on opposite sides in a wall staring each other down*

or die trying.

*leaders let out a battle cry and they charge at each other before it cuts to black and things go silent*

Like it or not...

THEY. *drum beat*

ARE. *drum beat*

HERE.

*explosion*

Guys chimes in.

"Uh, why are we using guns, shouldn't we be using nukes? On second thought thought why haven't they nuked us?"

"STOP IT JOHNNY! YOUR LOGIC IS GOING TO DESTROY US ALL!"

Fanatical Zealot

Aliens- real, or truth?

Here are mysterious mysteries, we know that the answer to that is a definite resounding maybe.

Beloved Sex Symbol

Suicidesoldier#1
Resonare Praeteriti
Suicidesoldier#1
Resonare Praeteriti
Suicidesoldier#1
Resonare Praeteriti

Dun-dun-dun!

This summer!

Mel Gibson!

Back in Action!

dun-dun

"Not again..."

Mel Gibson!

Until they showed up.

defeat the enemy--

or die trying.

Like it or not...

THEY. *drum beat*

ARE. *drum beat*

HERE.

*explosion*

Guys chimes in.

"Uh, why are we using guns, shouldn't we be using nukes? On second thought thought why haven't they nuked it?"

Random person adds to the conversation:

"Why don't we just call the government? And if that fails...call Russia's government!"

Everyone stares at the person awkwardly, even the aliens.

(In Soviet Russia, aliens get invaded by you! emotion_awesome )

Fanatical Zealot

Resonare Praeteriti
Suicidesoldier#1
Resonare Praeteriti
Suicidesoldier#1
Resonare Praeteriti

This summer!

Mel Gibson!

Back in Action!

dun-dun

"Not again..."

Mel Gibson!

Until they showed up.

defeat the enemy--

or die trying.

Like it or not...

THEY. *drum beat*

ARE. *drum beat*

HERE.

*explosion*

Guys chimes in.

"Uh, why are we using guns, shouldn't we be using nukes? On second thought thought why haven't they nuked it?"

"Why don't we just call the government? And if that fails...call Russia's government!"

I invaded Russia's Government once.

Beloved Sex Symbol

Suicidesoldier#1
Resonare Praeteriti
Suicidesoldier#1
Resonare Praeteriti
Suicidesoldier#1
Resonare Praeteriti

This summer!

Mel Gibson!

Back in Action!

dun-dun

"Not again..."

Mel Gibson!

Until they showed up.

defeat the enemy--

or die trying.

Like it or not...

THEY. *drum beat*

ARE. *drum beat*

HERE.

*explosion*

Guys chimes in.

I invaded Russia's Government once.

Le gasp! Were there Soviet bears and Stalin Lenin likenesses everywhere? biggrin
Suicidesoldier#1
Riviera de la Mancha
Suicidesoldier#1
Riviera de la Mancha
Suicidesoldier#1
Riviera de la Mancha

Not life- I said sentient and intelligent. Its already been proven that there is life on other planets in our own solar system in the form of microbes.

In terms of sentient and intelligent life, yes, based on what we know so far about the incredibly precise conditions required for at least carbon-based life to form in our galaxy. I have a hard time imagining there is another sun out there that also had a planet form with our similar make up at just the right distance to form life.

There could I suppose be like silicon-based life forms, but, like I said, based on what I know at present, I dont buy it.

Life occurred on Venus and Mars. Both were hit by large asteroids and were set into cooling and heating periods much quicker.

Most terrestrial planets in the galaxy are much larger than us however, which makes it highly likely that they'd suffer less impact from meteorites and asteroids and things.

However Venus was just like earth about 300 million years ago and probably later. Had it not been for that asteroid they may have been a lot like us. While they were closer to the sun the planet's atmosphere was slightly thicker, and they shouldn't have burnt out as soon as they did.

The exact precision needed to create life are actually much lower. As far as sentient goes, or at least similar intelligence to humans, it only seems a natural development over time, as it's an advantageous trait. Eventually it's bound to take over if life develops there. When is of question but in the galaxy? Oh it's probably happened a lot.

When we look at all moons on all the gas giants and everything else it almost seems impossible that there isn't life everywhere.

Considering the fact that DNA is naturally self replicating and everything our bodies are made out of has occurred as a result of naturally inherent chemical reactions with each other it only seems as if it's a logical absolute, instead of a possibility.

I just read one long ramble that worked so hard to avoid my argument.

What argument?

You said life needs uber precise conditions- I said actually the whole Goldilocks not too hot not too warm or else it will turn into a ball of fire like Venus or get too cold like Mars is probably not true.

Sense that's the case, the habitable zone in accordance with the distance from the sun gets remarkably larger, it can be between earth, mars, and Venus, not necessarily just in the exact position of earth.

considering that, and how planets there are in these positions and not just almost exactly earth like, we can clearly see how sentient life would develop on these planets given the fact that there is probably more life in the universe, and therefore more of a chance for sentient life.

Also the fact that life is a lot more likely to pop up.

Considering the fact that life just happened randomly and how our DNA codes naturally string themselves together, if these amino acid's just found themselves in nature then they would just naturally form into life the same way. Life is a just a number of chemical reactions that are bound to happen. It's a naturally binary system. If you get the right stuff going it's almost inevitable.

As far as life like us goes?

Idk. Squids and octopus's are said to be pretty smart though.

Like I said, a long ramble. Where were any of your source citations?

if these amino acid's just found themselves in nature then they would just naturally form into life the same way. -----You

And that is where I tune you out. Amino acids dont just up and automatically combine to form life.Its ridiculous to assume life is bound to happen. Let alone sentient and intelligent life, which is my position.

Well...

Some people believe that God did it but, more or less DNA is naturally self encoding.

How else do you think it works?

Something would have to be there to make the first lifeform to make the second, in any case it's a naturally self forming process.

It has to be.

It's like saying that when you mix hydrogen and oxygen it just naturally turns into a giant ball of fire and releases water, so when they collide it's bound to happen.

It's self repeating and naturally encoding- there are often errors, but this is more a result of transferring DNA to offspring, and is a natural part of evolution. As long as energy is provided these DNA strands will continue to replicate. It's the reason we can take a tiny DNA sample these days and turn it into a big one, like with PCR, and we only need like 8 cell's worth of DNA to catch someone these days. It'll cause DNA to code itself.

I mean God may have created it and set it into motion, I mean I guess within that context I can't prove that it happened "naturally", but that's just the way it works.

So it has to work that way, so it does. Circular argument much? More Rambling *yawn* Good day.
Resonare Praeteriti
Riviera de la Mancha
Resonare Praeteriti
The Sky Does Not Bow
Resonare Praeteriti

Fallacious reasoning.

Oh, it's you again.

I can buy that maybe somewhere there might be sentient life, but sentient and intelligent like us? No, and I explained why.

The other poster seems to just be criticizing your reasoning. If he is, then he doesnt need to articulate a position about his own views. He just needs to explain what makes your reasoning fallacious.

I'm not going to read the entire argument, but if you believe in a god or gods, then your theory is disproved. Gods count as a separate species after all, do they not?

Anyways, I just think that we aren't the only intelligent life. There's an entire galaxy with so many possibilities in it alone, and outside of that, an entire universe in which galaxies are as numerous and tiny as the stars in the night sky. Something somewhere is just as smart as us, it's nearly a given.

You're also assuming that all intelligent life has to be composed exactly like us. Evolution and adaptation is a wonderful thing, and it can create some creatures that are even today beyond comprehension. Creatures that shouldn't be able to exist, but are.

What does a faith have to do with anything? Or are you just grasping at straws?

As I posted already, if there are intelligent life in other galaxies, then I doubt they would or could come here because our laws of gravity, atomic weights, magnetic pull strength, etc. are all likely unique to each galaxy. This makes inter-galactic travel near impossible in my opinion.

If you read my post, I discussed silicon life. Again, maybe it exists somewhere but its likely never been to our galaxy and likely never could.
Resonare Praeteriti
The Sky Does Not Bow
Resonare Praeteriti
The Sky Does Not Bow
Resonare Praeteriti

Fallacious reasoning.

Oh, it's you again.

We can't prove one way or the other yet, but the chances of us being an isolated incident, taking into consideration the size of our universe, are so minute that they hardly exist.

If you cannot prove anything, the default assumption is not that it exists.

Dapper Lunatic

Xx-LeGii_TyLeR--
The way I think of it: If the universe is an ever-growing infinite, the the possibilities are infinite.

I think it's ridiculous to think we're alone.

What do you think?
Here's my thoughts on the idea.

Why would any evolved advanced space age being choose this shithole for their Disneyland?

Fanatical Zealot

Riviera de la Mancha
Suicidesoldier#1
Riviera de la Mancha
Suicidesoldier#1
Riviera de la Mancha

I just read one long ramble that worked so hard to avoid my argument.

What argument?

You said life needs uber precise conditions- I said actually the whole Goldilocks not too hot not too warm or else it will turn into a ball of fire like Venus or get too cold like Mars is probably not true.

Sense that's the case, the habitable zone in accordance with the distance from the sun gets remarkably larger, it can be between earth, mars, and Venus, not necessarily just in the exact position of earth.

considering that, and how planets there are in these positions and not just almost exactly earth like, we can clearly see how sentient life would develop on these planets given the fact that there is probably more life in the universe, and therefore more of a chance for sentient life.

Also the fact that life is a lot more likely to pop up.

Considering the fact that life just happened randomly and how our DNA codes naturally string themselves together, if these amino acid's just found themselves in nature then they would just naturally form into life the same way. Life is a just a number of chemical reactions that are bound to happen. It's a naturally binary system. If you get the right stuff going it's almost inevitable.

As far as life like us goes?

Idk. Squids and octopus's are said to be pretty smart though.

Like I said, a long ramble. Where were any of your source citations?

if these amino acid's just found themselves in nature then they would just naturally form into life the same way. -----You

And that is where I tune you out. Amino acids dont just up and automatically combine to form life.Its ridiculous to assume life is bound to happen. Let alone sentient and intelligent life, which is my position.

Well...

Some people believe that God did it but, more or less DNA is naturally self encoding.

How else do you think it works?

Something would have to be there to make the first lifeform to make the second, in any case it's a naturally self forming process.

It has to be.

It's like saying that when you mix hydrogen and oxygen it just naturally turns into a giant ball of fire and releases water, so when they collide it's bound to happen.

It's self repeating and naturally encoding- there are often errors, but this is more a result of transferring DNA to offspring, and is a natural part of evolution. As long as energy is provided these DNA strands will continue to replicate. It's the reason we can take a tiny DNA sample these days and turn it into a big one, like with PCR, and we only need like 8 cell's worth of DNA to catch someone these days. It'll cause DNA to code itself.

I mean God may have created it and set it into motion, I mean I guess within that context I can't prove that it happened "naturally", but that's just the way it works.

So it has to work that way, so it does. Circular argument much? More Rambling *yawn* Good day.

I don't know what more to say.

It's just a fact.

It's like saying "the earth is round" and you saying you disagree despite the science.

I guess there's no logic that can really be used to prove it after that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff