Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Fatcat

8,000 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
We have heard of people from the past performing alchemy. But have we ever had actual proof that alchemy is real? I was sitting here and it this just popped into my head. So I made a thread on it. Truthfully I believe alchemy may have existed but wasn't quite as well-known as they make it out to be.

Discuss:Alchemy
History of Alchemy
Well-Known Alchemist
All that hulla-bulloo.
MNU Officer Wolven
We have heard of people from the past performing alchemy. But have we ever had actual proof that alchemy is real? I was sitting here and it this just popped into my head. So I made a thread on it. Truthfully I believe alchemy may have existed but wasn't quite as well-known as they make it out to be.

History of Alchemy
Well-Known Alchemist
All that hulla-bulloo.

Alchemy in what regard?
By Alchemy, do you mean turning metals into gold ect? That formed the foundations (albeit it shaky ones) of chemistry.

However, you can not change an element into another by chemical means.

Dangerous Fatcat

8,000 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Mei tsuki7
MNU Officer Wolven

History of Alchemy
Well-Known Alchemist
All that hulla-bulloo.

Alchemy in what regard?

All.
Alchemy is real.

Turning random metal into gold is not.
MNU Officer Wolven
Mei tsuki7
MNU Officer Wolven

History of Alchemy
Well-Known Alchemist
All that hulla-bulloo.

Alchemy in what regard?

All.

sigh i ment explain alchemy as you know it but since you didnt understand that i'll just talk.

Ever heard of fusion or fission? In those they add or subtract protons changing the elements and creating energy.

Dangerous Fatcat

8,000 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I feel I should ask why alchemy was abandoned? With new age technology almost anything is possible if we tried.
Alchemy was simply chemistry observed in a magical sense, where most chemical interactions were not properly understand. As alchemists experimented and documented, sharing their findings, they slowly pieced together the puzzle that is our understanding of chemistry- it was bound to happen.

Dangerous Fatcat

8,000 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
soaked in underwear
Alchemy was simply chemistry observed in a magical sense, where most chemical interactions were not properly understand. As alchemists experimented and documented, sharing their findings, they slowly pieced together the puzzle that is our understanding of chemistry- it was bound to happen.

Are you Octane?

Dangerous Fatcat

8,000 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Mei tsuki7
MNU Officer Wolven
Mei tsuki7
MNU Officer Wolven

History of Alchemy
Well-Known Alchemist
All that hulla-bulloo.

Alchemy in what regard?

All.

sigh i ment explain alchemy as you know it but since you didnt understand that i'll just talk.

Ever heard of fusion or fission? In those they add or subtract protons changing the elements and creating energy.

I have heard of fusion. I understand alchemy to be the search for the power to change basic materials into gold and if rumors are to be believed the search for a formula to create eternal life.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
MNU Officer Wolven

History of Alchemy
Well-Known Alchemist
All that hulla-bulloo.

Alchemy started with the idea that one could turn lead into gold.

Today, we know that's physically impossible. However, we're talking about primordial science here. Before people even knew that the Earth moved around the sun...so, yeah, it had its merits back then.

Did it ever produce results? Obviously not on the intended objective, since it's impossible to alter one element into another. But it did produce results in paving the way for Chemistry.
eatmybeaver
Alchemy is real.

Turning random metal into gold is not.

So its not real then
Alchemy in the anime sense you are thinking of did once exist, but only because of ignorance on the part of the people performing it. They had no scientific knowledge of the elements working together, so it seemed like magic when a reaction happened.

Eventually what happened when specific things were mixed was written down, and then eventually elements and materials got separated and the 'alchemists' became chemists.

Don't you see the similar root word wink
Alchemy is real. It was a proto-scientific and somewhat mystical discipline in the Middle Ages that helped develop metallurgy and chemistry. It's primary goal, being able to create wealth by transmutating lead into gold, never panned out. It is possible now with atomic theory, but the energy required to manipulate elements makes the whole idea most trouble than it's worth.

Stuff like this is like with Chi medicine and acupucture. It has mystical explanations and bases, but still for the time it was as close a scientific process as they could have back then; they would experiment with different materials and write their findings down. They didn't have the same philosophical mandates as modern "scientists" do, but it was a precursor to such things.

Bring up alchemy as a practical application in modern times is a bit of a waste. At best it's good for a hobby to play around with, but it doesn't have practical use... and you certainly won't get rich making gold or precious metals out of nothing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff