Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Affirmative action....good idea?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 17, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3

It was all a good idea at first. to try to even things out. but now i do think that things have now turned... what it should really be is that race and sex shouldn'teven be seen by the ppl accepting the applications at all. that way it will only be based on achivments and... stuff-like-that
HELL IM JEWISH IM A MINORITY GIVE ME SPECIAL RIGHTS!!!

Ummmm no...

I mean if we do it with race why not religion as well? If the whole point is for diversity other religions = more diverse or maybe they really dont care about diversity and use that as an excuse?
Happy? I am. xp
Yhoshua

Ummmm no...

I mean if we do it with race why nopt religion as well? If the whole point is for diversity other religions = more diverse or maybe they really dont care about diversity and use that as an excuse?

Very good point. There's really no way to be equal unless, like Solstis said, it doesn't matter.
Meghiliz
Racism for minorities isn't any less of racism - you don't see colleges trying to have equal numbers of blondes and brunettes, or any other such nonsense... trying to be 'diverse' through Affirmative Action is just as absurd; at least it should be.

Do you know why colleges don't do that? Because there are enough privileged blondes and brunettes (using your example) in most colleges! What most colleges don't have, however, is a large number of minorities. Take any average college in California, for example. An huge majority of students there are white, yet whites are not really a majority in California's population. Keep in mind that California annihilated affirmative action a long, long time ago. Unless you want to claim that that is so because all minorities are too stupid to get into college, there is no excuse for this. There are inherent glass ceilings made for minorities, being told they're too stupid, too poor, or anything else to get into college. Affirmative action encourages these minorities to try to get into college. And seeing as going to college increases your chance of living well, I don't see why trying to get minorities into college is inherently bad. Unless seeing too many rich minorities is a problem.
nitroglycerin
Meghiliz
Racism for minorities isn't any less of racism - you don't see colleges trying to have equal numbers of blondes and brunettes, or any other such nonsense... trying to be 'diverse' through Affirmative Action is just as absurd; at least it should be.

Do you know why colleges don't do that? Because there are enough privileged blondes and brunettes (using your example) in most colleges! What most colleges don't have, however, is a large number of minorities. Take any average college in California, for example. An huge majority of students there are white, yet whites are not really a majority in California's population. Keep in mind that California annihilated affirmative action a long, long time ago. Unless you want to claim that that is so because all minorities are too stupid to get into college, there is no excuse for this. There are inherent glass ceilings made for minorities, being told they're too stupid, too poor, or anything else to get into college. Affirmative action encourages these minorities to try to get into college. And seeing as going to college increases your chance of living well, I don't see why trying to get minorities into college is inherently bad. Unless seeing too many rich minorities is a problem.

Its not that, it just screws someone who works just as hard if not harder then a minority but they dont get in b/c they are white and a male, in my oppinion it should be based on total family income not race
Yhoshua
nitroglycerin
Meghiliz

Its not that, it just screws someone who works just as hard if not harder then a minority but they dont get in b/c they are white and a male, in my oppinion it should be based on total family income not race

Huh. In my entire three months of having to do research on AA (debate), I have only seen two court cases where it was actually proven that the minority that got in was less qualified. And those were in states that had already gotten rid of AA.
Yhoshua
<snip>

ah, ah, ah, hold on right there ! I have to ad something to that ... yes total incom but income/ expencies, b/c they already look at total income thats why I can't get state help for college. they think we make too much but cost of living is high therefor the amount we make and the amount that is spent is almost the same ...

but honestly there has to be a better way to go about this, there are too many ppl to keep going about the way we are...
nitroglycerin
Yhoshua
nitroglycerin
Meghiliz

Huh. In my entire three months of having to do research on AA (debate), I have only seen two court cases where it was actually proven that the minority that got in was less qualified. And those were in states that had already gotten rid of AA.

Ill concede that point, I just dont like the idea of it
Solstis
Yhoshua
<snip>

ah, ah, ah, hold on right there ! I have to ad something to that ... yes total incom but income/ expencies, b/c they already look at total income thats why I can't get state help for college. they think we make too much but cost of living is high therefor the amount we make and the amount that is spent is almost the same ...

but honestly there has to be a better way to go about this, there are too many ppl to keep going about the way we are...

*nods* that makes sense

Jeering Regular

Yhoshua

Ummmm no...

I mean if we do it with race why not religion as well? If the whole point is for diversity other religions = more diverse or maybe they really dont care about diversity and use that as an excuse?
Well, generally attempts to address economic and educational disparities. Jews are one of the most economically prosperous and educated minority groups in America.
Ban
Yhoshua

Ummmm no...

Well, generally attempts to address economic and educational disparities. Jews are one of the most economically prosperous and educated minority groups in America.

Thank you. Generally, the minorities that do get AA are the ones who are underprivileged. But people only see the fact that the person is black, and then they whale away at it.

Jeering Regular

daelyn
and nevermind colleges. affirmative action is implimented in corporations as well. as crude as it'll sound.. a company fills racial quotas. they'll accept a minority over, say, a white guy.. if their qualifications are "close enough".
Um, that was years ago, and for companies who had openly racist hiring policies. Otherwise, quotas are illegal. They don't exist.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff