Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Affirmative action....good idea?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 17, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 >

I had a teacher a few years ago that tried to explain affirmative action to us. Lets see...

She grew up in a low income neighborhood in Chicago, and her mom worked two jobs to be able to pay for her to go to a better school than the public school in her disctrict, so that she could have more opportunities. Her sister, on the other hand, was still going to the normal public school. (why she got to go to the good school and her sister didn't, I still don't understand) Because her sister wasn't going to as good of a school, she was not giving as much opportunity to excell as she was, and therefore, had more trouble on such tests as the SAT or other entrance exams. Because there is a much higher percentage of minorities living in poverty than Whites, the idea of affirmative action is to even out this imbalance. my teacher's sister is not any less intelligent than her, but because of her school, she doesn't do as well on tests, so why should she not be given the opportunity to go to college because of this?

I know that argument is full of holes, and I argued several of them with my teacher (none of which she answered, she did that a lot. loved it when I got into class discussions as long as I didn't disagree with her. stare ) but I'm trying to present the opposite side of the argument. personally, I don't agree with affirmative action and think that it encourages racism (racism is not only discriminating against minorities, but anyone on basis of their race) by continuing to seperate the races and proclaim to the world that we are different because of what continent our ancestors came from and should be treated so.
I think you're right. Choosing minorities tht aren't as qualified is just a racist as choose whites that aren't as qualified.
Yhoshua

Aye for people who b***h so much about Racism, isnt AA just Racism that works in their favor?

I concur!
Yhoshua
Anashia
soundgravity
Kiyoshi Hayashida
Affirmitive action won't help us reach equality, that's for sure.
Because helping minority members raise to an equal standard of living will only make us more different 0_o
No it means that humans like to pick favorites... So hence, favoritism isn't equal...Also Favoritism has a lot in common with affirmitive action...

Aye for people who b***h so much about Racism, isnt AA just Racism that works in their favor?
Basically.
Yhoshua

Yes, I agree. I myself, am hispanic. It's like saying that all minorities are poor. I believe that Affirmitive Action should be turned around to helping those who can't afford to go to college. No matter what race they are.
Closet_Rebel
I think you're right. Choosing minorities tht aren't as qualified is just a racist as choose whites that aren't as qualified.

That's not how affirmative action works. In a situation in which a minority or a woman who is as EQUALLY qualified as a white person, the institution is asked to consider the minority or woman.

And DON'T even start bitching about how so-and-so white guy doesn't get into college. Not everybody who applies is going to get into their college of choice, get over it. What I'm seeing here is a lot of priviledged white kids complaining because they didn't get into so-and-so college.

The fact is, there are no harms that occur in affirmative action that wouldn't have occured before it is instituted. So a middle class white male doesn't get into a college. And? It happens every semester. And affirmative action brings the inherent benefit of a multicultural community, which helps the educational process. (I got that last bit from an essay, once I find it, I'll post the link.)

Jeering Regular

Yhoshua

Well, most racism experienced by Blacks is either an institutional disadvantage, which AA isn't, as whites are already advantaged, and all it really does it make it a bit more even, or a negative on the basis of their skin color, which AA also isn't, because it doesn't make any statements or implications that whites aren't as good as blacks.

Let's see if I can find my old thread on this. Ah, here it is, for whatever good it will do ya.
nitroglycerin
Closet_Rebel

That's not how affirmative action works. In a situation in which a minority or a woman who is as EQUALLY qualified as a white person, the institution is asked to consider the minority or woman.

And DON'T even start bitching about how so-and-so white guy doesn't get into college. Not everybody who applies is going to get into their college of choice, get over it. What I'm seeing here is a lot of priviledged white kids complaining because they didn't get into so-and-so college.

The fact is, there are no harms that occur in affirmative action that wouldn't have occured before it is instituted. So a middle class white male doesn't get into a college. And? It happens every semester. And affirmative action brings the inherent benefit of a multicultural community, which helps the educational process. (I got that last bit from an essay, once I find it, I'll post the link.)

Just so you know, I'm not trying to b***h about who didn't get inot college. I see the benefits of a multicultural environment, I just think there should be a better way to get it. That sounds really bad I know, but personally I believe race shouldn't matter at all. And I'm not white, so I;'m not complaining about that.
Look, believe it or not, not all highschools deliver equal education: the wealthier neighborhoods tend to have better schools. I think that they should deversify the student bodies of colleges more based on economic backgrounds than racial ones.
Spence Wind
Look, believe it or not, not all highschools deliver equal education: the wealthier neighborhoods tend to have better schools. I think that they should deversify the student bodies of colleges more based on economic backgrounds than racial ones.

THat's a great point. I think it shouldn't be based on race, so much as background and opportunity, or the neighborhood or something like that. It's harder to do, but I think it'd be worth the effeor in the end.
Mariko-dori
Ok, some people probably won't care about this (those who don't have to get into college and whatnot...) but a lot of schools are giving favortism to minorities when they are picking who to accept to the school. There's the upside that the minorities might be better able to get into college. However, In my opinion, it's not fair. By using this policy, being smart means essentially less. For the majorities (is that a word?), it's harder to get into a good school because you have to compete with more people, even if you're better qualified to get in. Even for the majories, it takes away some of the importance of being able to get into a good school, because you never know if you got in on your own merit or because of teh fact that you're a minority. Personally, I think that you should never be required to tell what race you are on an entrance exam. Wouldn't that be the fairest thing? Let me know what you think.
They do this to show they care about minorities, that they will accept them into their schools. In my opinion, that isn't fair. People work hard to get into a good college, and they need help financially. Did you know they have scholarships specifically for african americans? And none for just plain whites. It's not right.
Kayedofu
Spence Wind

THat's a great point. I think it shouldn't be based on race, so much as background and opportunity, or the neighborhood or something like that. It's harder to do, but I think it'd be worth the effeor in the end.

they do have a way to deal with that.. it's called scholarships. and they're given out based on background, economical standing, intelligence.. ya know, the stuff that really matters when trying to get into college.
Nirvana15223
Mariko-dori
Ok, some people probably won't care about this (those who don't have to get into college and whatnot...) but a lot of schools are giving favortism to minorities when they are picking who to accept to the school. There's the upside that the minorities might be better able to get into college. However, In my opinion, it's not fair. By using this policy, being smart means essentially less. For the majorities (is that a word?), it's harder to get into a good school because you have to compete with more people, even if you're better qualified to get in. Even for the majories, it takes away some of the importance of being able to get into a good school, because you never know if you got in on your own merit or because of teh fact that you're a minority. Personally, I think that you should never be required to tell what race you are on an entrance exam. Wouldn't that be the fairest thing? Let me know what you think.
They do this to show they care about minorities, that they will accept them into their schools. In my opinion, that isn't fair. People work hard to get into a good college, and they need help financially. Did you know they have scholarships specifically for african americans? And none for just plain whites. It's not right.

All righty then. Let's see here.
Irish-American scholarship (one of many)
Italian American scholarship (one of many, again)
German American Scholarships (one of many, I think you get the point)
What's the word I'm looking for? Oh yes, wrong.
and nevermind colleges. affirmative action is implimented in corporations as well. as crude as it'll sound.. a company fills racial quotas. they'll accept a minority over, say, a white guy.. if their qualifications are "close enough".
Racism for minorities isn't any less of racism - you don't see colleges trying to have equal numbers of blondes and brunettes, or any other such nonsense... trying to be 'diverse' through Affirmative Action is just as absurd; at least it should be.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff