Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is abstinence a valid method of birth control?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on December 4, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

I think schools should present more options. I also think that information should be more readily available to younger adults. I really think that there are far too many people having relationships with each other who are far too young to be.
Blame the parents for lack of supervision?
Blame the media/television for promoting sex?
Demand kids take responsibility for themselves if they choose to have sex?
Heck, the fact that you even have a sex ed. program at your school is great. We don't have a sex ed. program at our school, and believe me, I wish that we did. So many people have ended up pregnant, and the are so ignorant about a lot of stuff that they really need to know, including how they can contract STD's.
I really do feel sorry for the kids in the US being fed this s**t. Abstinence only education has been proven to be a failure at reducing teen pregnancies, STDs etc. Why does Bush insist on pumping more money into it and why-o-why are abstinece only groups coming to the UK to "preach" at our kids?

Quotable Conventioneer

8,000 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Abstinance is fine.

Abstinance EDUCATION is the problem.

I want teens to know about birth control pills, and condoms, and spermicides, masturbation, abortion, homosexuality, the whole nine years. I want it packaged into a book that masquerades as a cross between Teen Magazine and playboy, so that people will actually be interested in reading it and figuring out their damned selves. I want articles on sex and sexuality in it, instead of the tradional chapters of rote you'd expect in textbooks, so that anyone can just pick it up while they're on the toilet or in bed, rub one out, go on about their business to digest the information on their own, and maybe even learn something.

It'd be a hell of a way to learn, you must admit wink
In my old school, we had an abstinance class. It basically told us that we'd go to hell if we had sex before marriage. (well, what if you're married and don't want kids???)

In my school now, they showed us a bunch of different contraceptives(sp? o.o) and went over some myths. Project kNOw or whatever. The class got fun when someone suggested tin foil...

And you know something? My mom never talked to me about sex. Not once. As embarassing as it is to admit it, I didn't even know what sex was 'til like the 6th grade. No one in my school talked about it. It was a Cathiloc school... And I was a weird child who had 2 friends... no t.v... so yeah, where was I supposed to get my information from?

Sex ed should be in all schools. Most of us are gonna do it someday. Why not teach us before we do it and regret it.

6,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
bump 1

Does anyone know any shops etc I can go to get a wedding dress for me and a tux for my fiancee Smokie Wizard so we can get married on gaia? Or anyone that can draw a wedding dress really good. Also a pregnant avitar would be great.If anyone can help that would be great.
But the point of promoting abstinence is to keep you kids from having sex too early. You think you are mature and can handle anything but really you can't. Abstinence promotes a lack of STD's, pregnancy and should with some luck instill a greater sense of morality and self worth in you. You may not regret what you have done now, or ever tomorrow.........the day will come however when you wish you had been more discerning.
Ghita
It's a valid method of birth control, like not driving is a valid method of avoiding car crashes. Yeah, it works, but teaching it and it alone really misses the point.
While it is a valid method of birth control, I don't think it should be preached nearly as much as it is. People will still have sex, and often in unsafe circumstances due to lack of education. I think we should take more time to educate children about other methods of contraception.
Abstinence is not just for birth control..but for spiritual and personal moral ideals... Some people are just not physically, spiritually, and psychologically ready for a sexual relationship...
I look at the "Abstinence Only" programs for preventing the spread of STDs and unwanted pregnancies as about as effective as the "Turn Up the Radio So You Can't Hear The Brakes Squeal" program of car repair.

It allows you to feel a little bit better while ignoring the problem, but it will still come back and whallop you in the long run.

The best answer, in my opinion, is to work to remove the taboo of talking about sex. Presently kids have absolutely no difficulty being exposed to sex in the media and advertising or even at school. But due to the taboo we place upon it, they only get exposed to the... for lack of a better term... 'entertainment' aspect of it and very rarely to the realities and precautions of it. We *really* need to be arming our kids with knowledge before it becomes an issue they cannot ignore.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff