Welcome to Gaia! ::

should a woman have the choice to abort her baby if she wishes?

yes 0.71052631578947 71.1% [ 27 ]
no 0.18421052631579 18.4% [ 7 ]
yes, in the case of rape or etc 0.10526315789474 10.5% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 38 ]
1 2 >

Super Junior

9,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Junior 100
it's saddening how an unborn baby's life is more important than that of an adult that has been thriving in this world for years
your body, your choice. some old republican shithead has no right to tell you what you do with your body talk2hand

are you pro-choice? pro-life?
if you're against abortion, is there ever a circumstance where a woman should be allowed to abort? (such as the case of rape or if the baby will be born with a severe illness/defect)
if you're against abortion, tell us the reason why

Powerhungry Genius

44,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I'm pro-choice, but I don't think abortion should be used as a "birth control". I think adoption can be a much better option.

I think that certain circumstances should be required before abortion is done: 1) cases of incest, 2) pregnant due to rape (the mom may hurt/kill/torture her kid after its born in this case), 3) mother's life is on the line and she wants to live (first person alive should be allowed to keep their life), and 4) if the baby is almost, (90% or over), to completely guaranteed to extreme mental and/or physical disability/issue.

For that last one, it's to save the baby from having to suffer in the long run, after all, there are some things that can be worse then being dead (it's meant for the extreme issues/diseases only).

Chatty Gaian

8,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
I'm pro-choice. My body, my choice. I do not believe that rape needs to be a requirement nor incest nor anything else. My body, my choice. Should I be in a position where I can't afford a child, do not want one or cannot care for one, I should have the choice. I think requiring rape, incest or anything else is just infringing on my rights. I shouldn't have to go through a traumatic event just to get an abortion.

I'm also not willing to compromise with conservatives on this point of "rape, incest or mental problems" either.

I'd like pro-life people to actually answer with a concrete answer what they plan to do with these babies after they have saved their "lives" and how they intend to care for them, should the mother not be able to. Until I hear a reasonable answer, I think pro-life people are living in a fantasy world where children are magically taken care of by the best parents and will become the next president, for sure.
I am totally pro-choice, I think it's a woman's body, it should be her choice and no one else's.

However, while where on that topic, this maybe an unpopular opinion, but just consider this for a second.

As long as abortion is legal and easily accessible, I think that if a man should be given a choice as well, not for the abortion but about his role in the potential child's life.

I think for example, if abortion is legal up to say 5 months, then up to 4 months a guy should be given the option to say, I don't want this child in my life, and not be held responsible for alimony/child support. That time frame still leave the woman a window to abort the child, therefore she has the chose to be a single mother or not. She can't blame the father for everything wrong in her life, because the choice was her's. If after the abortion window is closed the father tries to back out then child support should continue as normal, because he "screwed" her into being stuck as a single mother.

I am saying this because, the woman has a choice of having an abortion, but the guy is stuck with her decision no matter which way the woman decides and this is 50/50 responsibility, both people were fully involved in getting there, but only one gets to make a life altering decision for both people from there.

Dapper Reveler

Super Junior

9,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Junior 100
hmm where are the pro life scumbags at
Yes.

It's sexist to say no.

Super Junior

9,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Junior 100
Rebeldoomer
Yes.

It's sexist to say no.

ur dang right

Divine Bibliophile

10,600 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Married 100
I'm pro-choice for the most part, but I believe both parents should get a say in most cases, which doesn't seem to be a popular opinion. The only exceptions to both getting a say would be if the other parent wouldn't take part in raising the child, the pregnant individual's life could be a risk, or the pregnant individual was raped; in those cases, the choice should be solely that of the pregnant individual.
I would highly suggest that everybody reads the first page of this topic. It is old but it still has some valuable information about common arguments and misconceptions regarding the abortion debate.
Trayvon Zimerman
Mik Laid
I'm pro-choice. My body, my choice. I do not believe that rape needs to be a requirement nor incest nor anything else. My body, my choice. Should I be in a position where I can't afford a child, do not want one or cannot care for one, I should have the choice. I think requiring rape, incest or anything else is just infringing on my rights. I shouldn't have to go through a traumatic event just to get an abortion.

I'm also not willing to compromise with conservatives on this point of "rape, incest or mental problems" either.

I'd like pro-life people to actually answer with a concrete answer what they plan to do with these babies after they have saved their "lives" and how they intend to care for them, should the mother not be able to. Until I hear a reasonable answer, I think pro-life people are living in a fantasy world where children are magically taken care of by the best parents and will become the next president, for sure.
The baby's body isn't your body
lrn2logic

The issue is about the woman's body because the developing fetus is occupying it for 9 months and causing the mother pain. The developing fetus has not been born yet and cannot live outside of the mother's womb. It is not the same as a newborn baby. I highly suggest that you read the topic I linked to at the top of this post. Especially the post about bodily integrity that cites court cases such as McFall v Shimp.

Tipsy Smoker

Pro-life. But I dnt give a ******** what you do.
Stolzieren
it's saddening how an unborn baby's life is more important than that of an adult that has been thriving in this world for years
your body, your choice. some old republican shithead has no right to tell you what you do with your body talk2hand

In other words, women want to have unprotected sex, and then not suffer the consequences when unprotected sex results in a baby. Choice without responsibility. Which is the opposite of an adult frame of mind.

Quote:

if you're against abortion, is there ever a circumstance where a woman should be allowed to abort? (such as the case of rape or if the baby will be born with a severe illness/defect)

First, because abortion is a cowardly way to murder a child. If you want to murder your children, at least be honest about it. Wait until after they're born, then strangle them, drown them, whatever your preferred method is. No more of this "I want to kill it but I'm not really killing anything" nonsense.

Second, because abortion is a convenient excuse, in many cases, to absolve a woman of responsibility for having unprotected sex. If women want to be considered adults they should take full responsibility for their actions. There are numerous forms of birth control out there. Pills, condoms, etc. She should bear responsibility if she gets 'accidentally' pregnant these days. You made the child, you take responsibility. Raise it, give it up for adoption, strangle it, whatever. But take responsibility.

Super Junior

9,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Junior 100
Kaltros
Stolzieren

In other words, women want to have unprotected sex, and then not suffer the consequences when unprotected sex results in a baby. Choice without responsibility. Which is the opposite of an adult frame of mind.

Quote:

First, because abortion is a cowardly way to murder a child. If you want to murder your children, at least be honest about it. Wait until after they're born, then strangle them, drown them, whatever your preferred method is. No more of this "I want to kill it but I'm not really killing anything" nonsense.

Second, because abortion is a convenient excuse, in many cases, to absolve a woman of responsibility for having unprotected sex. If women want to be considered adults they should take full responsibility for their actions. There are numerous forms of birth control out there. Pills, condoms, etc. She should bear responsibility if she gets 'accidentally' pregnant these days. You made the child, you take responsibility. Raise it, give it up for adoption, strangle it, whatever. But take responsibility.

so you're saying "yeah you can kill your baby! go for it!" as long as you birth it first
rolleyes ooooookayy then...

Super Junior

9,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Junior 100
glacialium
I'm pro-choice for the most part, but I believe both parents should get a say in most cases, which doesn't seem to be a popular opinion. The only exceptions to both getting a say would be if the other parent wouldn't take part in raising the child, the pregnant individual's life could be a risk, or the pregnant individual was raped; in those cases, the choice should be solely that of the pregnant individual.

yeah this makes sense to me

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces