Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've been thinking about this for awhile, and I'd love to have some input from many different people.

I understand that in order to gain something, one must sacrifice something. For example, if I wanted to get a job, I need to sacrifice my time, money, and energy to prepare for this job, which includes schooling, buying new clothes, building up my portfolio, and so on. Another example is if you're in a time of war and need to consider sacrificing one or a hundred lives in order to save many more.

So according to this rule of give and take (sacrifice and gain), will one have to sacrifice something they love the most in order to gain something that's on a much greater scale?

What would you do if you were presented an opportunity to change the world for the better, but must sacrifice your one greatest desire?

5,950 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
User Image
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

sora_neko
I've been thinking about this for awhile, and I'd love to have some input from many different people.

I understand that in order to gain something, one must sacrifice something. For example, if I wanted to get a job, I need to sacrifice my time, money, and energy to prepare for this job, which includes schooling, buying new clothes, building up my portfolio, and so on. Another example is if you're in a time of war and need to consider sacrificing one or a hundred lives in order to save many more.
I think that the word sacrifice is misleading. I would speak of an investment. After all the intent is that you will get back more then you put in.
Quote:

So according to this rule of give and take (sacrifice and gain), will one have to sacrifice something they love the most in order to gain something that's on a much greater scale?

Its not really a rule here. A rule implies standards which are to be held to. The investment you make in order to get something depends entirely on what you want to achieve and what you are prepared to do. Its usually not nessecary to invest something you love in order to get something important. A general can invest his troops to a battle in order to win it. Victory is important here. But most likely the general won't care about his troops, that is to say he doesn't love them or think that they are precious in any way except that it will cost money to replace them.

Quote:
What would you do if you were presented an opportunity to change the world for the better, but must sacrifice your one greatest desire?

Call me a realist but you're going to have to be more specific. Because very often there are ways to attain your goals while still holding on to the things you consider important.

Wick Was Here
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Anime quotes are not true by definition.
Plus 'value' is a subjective term akin to the beholder.
A loaf of bread may be worth very little to us because we can easily get more. But in the deep parts of say, africa it can be a rare and valued commodity. So can we play the market with the thing we have to lose?

5,950 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
User Image
radijs

wick was here

Anime quotes are not true by definition.
Plus 'value' is a subjective term akin to the beholder.
A loaf of bread may be worth very little to us because we can easily get more. But in the deep parts of say, africa it can be a rare and valued commodity
. So can we play the market with the thing we have to lose?

Exactly my point by quoting it. I decide to further my education by going to college and what am I giving up in exchange? The times of enjoy life with my family and friends before hand in exchange for gaining more knowledge for whatever field it is that I choose to study and a new set of experiences in that chapter of my life.
I would sacrafice my self if nescary to save the world. But I sacrafice time every day to help some one. I do this at work where I work with handicap children every day.
Some times it is money for a good cause. Some times it is time to help some one out.

3,550 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Full closet 200
Wick Was Here
User Image

Isn't that a quote from a movie??
The law of sowing and reaping is one that many westerners ignore hoping it will go away.

Maybe if I do what this magazine says and just eat yogurt for breakfast I'll lose ten pounds like it says!

Maybe if I go tell the teacher my dad won't pay for college anymore if I fail one more class, he'll just change my grade!

Yeeaahh...
kitteacakes
Wick Was Here
User Image

Worse, an anime. And it's wrong when applied to the real world,equal value is not necessary at all.

Also, this thread sure is a lot of words to say "You have to use your s**t to do stuff." Children learn that in elementary school.

3,550 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Full closet 200
Eromreven
kitteacakes
Wick Was Here
User Image

Worse, an anime. And it's wrong when applied to the real world,equal value is not necessary at all.

Also, this thread sure is a lot of words to say "You have to use your s**t to do stuff." Children learn that in elementary school.

Ohh...I just remembered where the quote was from. Full Metal Alchemist. Good show, doesn't really apply to this topic though rolleyes

Basic economics can tell you that you don't necessarily have to lose something to gain something.
kitteacakes
Eromreven
kitteacakes
Wick Was Here
User Image

Ohh...I just remembered where the quote was from. Full Metal Alchemist. Good show, doesn't really apply to this topic though rolleyes

Basic economics can tell you that you don't necessarily have to lose something to gain something.

time is a resource, yo

3,550 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Full closet 200
Eromreven
kitteacakes
Eromreven
kitteacakes
Wick Was Here
User Image

time is a resource, yo

So...you would lose time by doing something else?? @_@
I'll admit upfront - I came out with a C in economics so the basic of the basic is about all I really understand.

Wheezing Smoker

"What would you do if you were presented an opportunity to change the world for the better, but must sacrifice your one greatest desire?"

I can't answer that because you're simplifying a complex question.
I don't know what I'd do because it depends on what the opportunity is, how would doing it make the world better, and what desire would I'd have to sacrifice in order to achieve that.

llllllllllll [] llllllllllll

Excitable Explorer

8,975 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
What would i do if I could change the world, but had to sacrifice my greatest desire in exchange?

Simple. I've already done that on a smaller scale. I sacrificed my health for my family's peace. I don't think I can make you understand why, without explaining the details which i do not wish to divulge.

The point is, it does happen. Humanity is capable of that type of sacrifice.

u've got to be careful cause then you could get people saying that 'the ends justify the means' or 'the means justify the ends'. Both are dangerous ways of thinking, everything has to be looked at individually. To be able to give an exact answer to your questions, its safer to put an exact example...my opinion...gotta go..
Nonesuch Solo
The law of sowing and reaping is one that many westerners ignore hoping it will go away.

Maybe if I do what this magazine says and just eat yogurt for breakfast I'll lose ten pounds like it says!

Maybe if I go tell the teacher my dad won't pay for college anymore if I fail one more class, he'll just change my grade!

Yeeaahh...
I love you~ heart

I agree with Nonesuch Solo that you reap what you sow, you have to plant your seed before you can have a child. You can't get anywhere without investing in something. You aren't likely to get lung cancer without investing in it by smoking cigarettes, you aren't likely to ace a test without investing in doing so by preparing for it. Everything worth and not worth doing takes effort on your part. Even the things you 'don't deserve' to have take effort on your part to gain. Something doesn't come from nothing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff