Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Lionheart

8,525 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Mark Twain 100
My friend invited me to this event on facebook (it's in all caps there, don't blame me.) and apparently 13,500+ people are going to be praying at 7:00pm for god to help to defeat the devil, devil worshipers and well, evil. I think the idea is, the more people who do it, the more likely god will hear them(he's a busy man you know.) As an atheist I obviously declined. In fact, I'm near positive this group was created as a joke. Because if this fails (which it most definitely will) it'll be a pretty big let down and hopefully have more people questioning their religion.

On the other hand, if at 7:00p all evil vanishes from the earth, I will personally drop to my knees and convert to monotheistic religion. (which one? the friend who sent me this is catholic, so I'll probably just fall in with her. :L) Personally I wish they would've picked something more specific to pray for, like a giant pizza to fall from the sky and feed the hungry, so it'd be really obvious when it didn't happen.

My one worry is that some extremist will use this as an opportunity to scare people into belief by doing something drastic, thinking they are playing the hand of god.

What are your thoughts? Did you get invited? Are you gonna do it? What should they pray for?

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Bah. A measley 13k believers?

The Crusades had more than that.

Powerhungry Genius

44,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
wouldn't believe it for the simple reason that if evil didn't exist, neither would good

Liberal Lionheart

8,525 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Mark Twain 100
CuAnnan
Bah. A measley 13k believers?

The Crusades had more than that.

I think almost 200,000 were invited. (I tried to find something punny to say about raiding a daycare and handing them swords, but I failed... oh well. :/)

Liberal Lionheart

8,525 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Mark Twain 100
shadowswhiskers13 -
wouldn't believe it for the simple reason that if evil didn't exist, neither would good
Ooh good point. Wouldn't we lose our free will too?? :O

Powerhungry Genius

44,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Infamy In Action
shadowswhiskers13 -
evil sadly, we might if that was true...

Liberal Lionheart

8,525 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Mark Twain 100
shadowswhiskers13 -
Infamy In Action
shadowswhiskers13 -
evil sadly, we might if that was true...

I'd prefer no free will and an earth where nothing bad happens. But since that probably isn't gonna happen... :L

Profitable Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
The Devil / Satan / Lucifer, being a creation of God, was created by this God being. He fills a role needed by God, like the Angel of Death who murdered the first-born sons of Egypt in Exodus. Thus is it hard to believe that this entity does not still serve this same God, albeit in a different duty. Make this God individual seem nicer by giving the more unsavory duties to lesser entities.

So why wouldn't praying to God stop this Devil entity...after all, the Devil still serves the Lord does he not?

Tipsy Smoker

shadowswhiskers13 -
Can you even prove this?

Liberal Lionheart

8,525 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Patton
The Devil / Satan / Lucifer, being a creation of God, was created by this God being. He fills a role needed by God, like the Angel of Death who murdered the first-born sons of Egypt in Exodus. Thus is it hard to believe that this entity does not still serve this same God, albeit in a different duty. Make this God individual seem nicer by giving the more unsavory duties to lesser entities.

So why wouldn't praying to God stop this Devil entity...after all, the Devil still serves the Lord does he not?

Good point. If god didn't want there to be evil, there wouldn't be. :L

Liberal Lionheart

8,525 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Chahklet
shadowswhiskers13 -
Can you even prove this?
Without evil, there'd be nothing to compare it to and call good.

Tipsy Smoker

Infamy In Action
Chahklet
shadowswhiskers13 -
Can you even prove this?
Or without evil, there just wouldn't be evil and everything would be good.

Liberal Lionheart

8,525 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Chahklet
Infamy In Action
Chahklet
shadowswhiskers13 -
Can you even prove this?
Or without evil, there just wouldn't be evil and everything would be good.
Good is subjective. If you don't have bad things, you wouldn't know what good is.
Infamy In Action
My friend invited me to this event on facebook (it's in all caps there, don't blame me.) and apparently 13,500+ people are going to be praying at 7:00pm for god to help to defeat the devil, devil worshipers and well, evil. I think the idea is, the more people who do it, the more likely god will hear them(he's a busy man you know.) As an atheist I obviously declined. In fact, I'm near positive this group was created as a joke. Because if this fails (which it most definitely will) it'll be a pretty big let down and hopefully have more people questioning their religion.

On the other hand, if at 7:00p all evil vanishes from the earth, I will personally drop to my knees and convert to monotheistic religion. (which one? the friend who sent me this is catholic, so I'll probably just fall in with her. :L) Personally I wish they would've picked something more specific to pray for, like a giant pizza to fall from the sky and feed the hungry, so it'd be really obvious when it didn't happen.

My one worry is that some extremist will use this as an opportunity to scare people into belief by doing something drastic, thinking they are playing the hand of god.

What are your thoughts? Did you get invited? Are you gonna do it? What should they pray for?

I have added my voice to the pile. I hope I am not too late.

Liberal Lionheart

8,525 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Mark Twain 100
the reverend silver
Infamy In Action

I have added my voice to the pile. I hope I am not too late.

Nope. about 7 minutes late. and they only needed one more person in order for god to hear them (I imagine horton hears a who style.). -smh-

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff