Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm just curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on the definition of androgenous.

www.dictionary.com

androgenous

adj 1: relating to or exhibiting both female and male sex organs but with a predominantly female appearance

It is in my opinion that this is suggesting there is a definitive masculine appearance and that anything else is predominantly feminine.

Granted, do not blame www.dictionary.com ... as dictionaries do not make the words. They just record them when they get use enough to justify their print. Androgenous is no new word, mind you, and it was probably involved in our vocabulary through some very gender-biased time periods, but I can't help but wonder if the vocabulary we use has evolved into something different without the dictionary, or if sexism is deeply rooted into the very languages we think in.

Your thoughts?
You made a mistake.

androgynous and androgenous are different words.

the genous part is birth, and andro is male; has to do with androgenesis, which is a defect, or something.

Main Entry: androgenesis
: development in which the embryo contains only paternal chromosomes due to failure of the egg nucleus to participate in fertilization

androgynous
1. Biology. Having both female and male characteristics; hermaphroditic.
2. Being neither distinguishably masculine nor feminine, as in dress, appearance, or behavior.

Who do you know that even uses androgenous to actually give a damn whether or not it's sexist?
Well... that makes sense... xd

It's still...

nevermind. The important question is whether or not sexism could be devoutly planted into our minds through the gendered terms our language uses. Androgenous still has the same gendered overtones in reference to appearance.

Androgynous
[From Latin androgynus, hermaphrodite, from Greek androgunos : andro-, andro- + gun, woman; see -gynous.]
yeah... that's not very suspicious. sweatdrop
ChaseFera

It's still...

nevermind. The important question is whether or not sexism could be devoutly planted into our minds through the gendered terms our language uses. Androgenous still has the same gendered overtones in reference to appearance.

Androgynous
[From Latin androgynus, hermaphrodite, from Greek androgunos : andro-, andro- + gun, woman; see -gynous.]

andro = man, gynous/gyn [mysoGYNy.] = woman; Has both male and female qualities.

Come on now. you're picking at straws. Our language is one that doesn't have male and female objects. That's more of an argument then this, I mean why is a car a female in Italian?

We're raised to have the stereotypes we have not because of language but because of what we are taught and observe from day one.
Xaleth
ChaseFera

It's still...

Androgynous

andro = man, gynous/gyn [mysoGYNy.] = woman; Has both male and female qualities.

Come on now. you're picking at straws. Our language is one that doesn't have male and female objects. That's more of an argument then this, I mean why is a car a female in Italian?

We're raised to have the stereotypes we have not because of language but because of what we are taught and observe from day one.

On an individual basis, sure. But, it goes back before us with each and every generation... and at one point, over some number of generations, a language was developed by people enforcing certain stereotypes.
You didn't see me.

I was never here. ninja
ChaseFera
Xaleth
ChaseFera

It's still...

Androgynous

On an individual basis, sure. But, it goes back before us with each and every generation... and at one point, over some number of generations, a language was developed by people enforcing certain stereotypes.

This is approaching insanity.

English has major influences from no less than 4 languages. The people who came up with each of these, and eventually English, were not sitting behind desks(or a stump, or whatever they were using as their equivalent) thinking of ways to keep women subservient through Language. Why bother?

Paul I

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Normally, when words (like this) come from a different language they follow that meaning perfectly. Then there are certain others...

Take "Entrée" for instance. In French, it means, literally, "Entrance." For their meals, it refers to the APPETIZERS, not the main course. But we, as usual, have bastardized the languages we copied from (Ever hear of a Ying-yang? It's WRONG! No G on "Yin," we're just trying to make it sound better to our shitty American ears! xp )...

Usually, when we go for scientific terms (usually through Greek and Latin), we tend to keep it closer to being on-the-nose. Like ANDROGYNOUS, it's a hermaphrodite (more or less), or something similar. A backpack can be androgynous, depending on the color. The words, again, come from the words "andro-" meaning "man", and "gyno" meaning "woman". For references of this, look to "Andrew" (my name), and "gynecology" - probably every High School boy's fantasy job. Actually, some College guys, too! sweatdrop

Wait... What was the topic again?
Xiam
The words, again, come from the words "andro-" meaning "man", and "gyno" meaning "woman". For references of this, look to "Andrew" (my name), and "gynecology" - probably every High School boy's fantasy job. Actually, some College guys, too! sweatdrop

Why don't men have androcologists?

EXAMINE MY p***s, DAMMIT! xp
Kyosanshugi
Xiam
The words, again, come from the words "andro-" meaning "man", and "gyno" meaning "woman". For references of this, look to "Andrew" (my name), and "gynecology" - probably every High School boy's fantasy job. Actually, some College guys, too! sweatdrop

Because there would be a bunch of horny Females going pre-med XD!!!!
And horny gay guys I suppose....

That and seeing as the p***s is more closely "controlled" by the prostate, a Proctologist is prolly all you need.
Puerilis
Kyosanshugi
Xiam

That and seeing as the p***s is more closely "controlled" by the prostate, a Proctologist is prolly all you need.
Finger in butt = bad.

Hot chick checking out my package = good!
Kyosanshugi
Puerilis
Kyosanshugi
Xiam

Finger in butt = bad.

You'll get no argument from me.

Paul I
Paul Diggles
Kyosanshugi
Puerilis
Kyosanshugi
Xiam

Finger in butt = bad.

Paul I

I doubt you would get anyone good looking as your androcologists.
Puerilis
Paul Diggles
Kyosanshugi
Puerilis
Kyosanshugi
Xiam

Finger in butt = bad.

Paul I

You'd be surprised, he's not bad looking.
Quite good, actually.
Alex I

biggrin
Alexandrea Zenne
Puerilis
Paul Diggles
Kyosanshugi
Puerilis
Kyosanshugi
Xiam

Finger in butt = bad.

Paul I

You'd be surprised, he's not bad looking.
Quite good, actually.
Alex I

biggrin

What do His looks have to deal with who is androcologists would be. If such things exsisted enmass. And can I see a picture of him. XD.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff