Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Shapeshifter

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Imagine, a sport that resembles rugby, dodgeball, basketball, and capture the flag, all rolled into one. You can either charge down the field in an attempt to score while avoiding being tackled, strategically pick off players with your ball, or fight against a player from the other team and a third person to snatch the game-ending ball and get points for your team. This my friends, is the world of quidditch.

It's a full contact, fast paced sport that is intense, chaotic, and wonderful. Among sports, it's truly unique.

But Tynan, you may say, quidditch can't be real. How would you even play it? Very easily. Here is a breakdown of the positions. On each team, there are 3 Chasers, 2 Beaters, 1 Keeper, and one Seeker.

Chaser: They handle the quaffle. Their job is to score, or prevent the other team from scoring. They score by putting the quaffle through one of three hoops, defended by the opposing team. Doing so earns them 10 points for their team.

Keeper: They can either play defensively, like a goalie, or charge up the field and act like a chaser.

Beater: Their job is to hit opposing players with the bludgers. There are three bludgers on the field at any given point. If a beater hits a player with a bludger, they must dismount their broom, drop a ball if they have one, and return to their hoops before resuming play.

Seeker: Their job is simple. It is only to catch the Snitch

There is also the matter of the Snitch Runner. This position is very vital to quidditch. They are considered a neutral third party who's job it is to keep the Snitch (a sock containing a tennis ball affixed to the back of their shorts via velcro) from both seekers. Think of them like an official.

There are over 700 teams in the US alone and we have a huge international presence. This summer, 5 national teams competed in Oxford, England in the IQA Summer games (France, UK, USA, Canada, Australia). You should definitely check it out sometime!

Want to learn more about quidditch? Go to www.internationalquidditch.org
I almost got a quidditch team formed once, I ended up having to cancel it cause of some personal health issues and now that I've moved I don't have any friends to be potter heads with.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff