Welcome to Gaia! ::

Trop.exe
Fatum
Not Robert
Kyle Maynard is in MMA now, yeah don't see how that's gonna work, like kicks and knees on all fours and stuff.

Masakatsu Funaki was the man in Pancrase.

That is just ridiculous. I mean, the guy's got heart, but him doing MMA is just ridiculous. I understand wrestling, but that's all he can do. And what kind of submissions can he do? Kneebar? Arm bar? NS choke? Ezekiel?

He'd slap a keylock on you, that's for sure.

Well, yeah, of course he can. I can't wrestle worth crap. neutral
I don't mean to sound like an arse. I understand the willpower he has to try something like MMA, and to go at it 110%. But the fact he has no arms and legs leaves him at a complete disadvantage. This isn't a wrestling match. It's MMA. You need to strike. You need to wrestle/grapple, and everything else in between.

Maynard Loses, Leaves Cage Unscathed

He does indeed have heart to try something like this, and show courage to push forth. As quoted from him: "I love the sport so much. It would have been so tough to love something so much and never get the chance to taste it". But he did lose an unanimous decision loss (all judges scored 30-27 for the other fighter). It's clear that he couldn't effectively use his wrestling once striking was thrown into the mix. Without legs, he can't explode into any sort of takedown (ala Coleman). All fights are just going to end up with his opponents peppering him with strikes while keeping out of his extremely limited grappling range. I'm not one to say he should quit what he's doing. But on a competition level, I don't see him winning. If he does enjoy the sport, I'm sure smokers and other gym competitions would help to quench his thirst for competition. I really don't know what to say. If he loves it, more power to him...I just don't see what's the point when competition is always going to have a great advantage over you...
Not Robert
Fatum
Not Robert
Kyle Maynard is in MMA now, yeah don't see how that's gonna work, like kicks and knees on all fours and stuff.

Masakatsu Funaki was the man in Pancrase.

That is just ridiculous. I mean, the guy's got heart, but him doing MMA is just ridiculous. I understand wrestling, but that's all he can do. And what kind of submissions can he do? Kneebar? Arm bar? NS choke? Ezekiel?

Calf slicer rofl . Come to think of it, is there any way he can finish anyone?

Yeah, Bob Sapp is fighting Bobby Lashley. I'm surprised Lashley hasn't been signed by the UFC and given a title shot.

He can finish...if they decide to grapple with him. Even then, who would try to grapple when it's his one and only strong point? Maybe he can GNP, but they'd pop him right off and reverse.
Better yet, how can he defend strikes?
He cannot strike. He can't wear gloves and that disallows strikes with his hands. It's the same thing as wearing shoes in the octagon before the rule change, you cannot kick.

Smoker

6,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Have you guys watched the fight between Toby Imada and that Jorge guy in Bellator? Toby did an amazing triangle chokehold on Jorge.

Btw Trop.exe, is that Fedor in you sig? smile
That submission is already a nominee for Submission of the Year. Imada had a hamburger face though, it was really messed up.

Soo sad we won't be able to see Masvidal vs. Alvarez. How can you not love a guy who spanked Kimbo's protege twice?

Smoker

6,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Not Robert
That submission is already a nominee for Submission of the Year. Imada had a hamburger face though, it was really messed up.

Soo sad we won't be able to see Masvidal vs. Alvarez. How can you not love a guy who spanked Kimbo's protege twice?

His face was all swollen and blue. Who's Kimbo's protege? I'm totally newbie on MMA related stuff, just got into it this year after I watched one of UFC's fight. It was like receiving an epiphany. neutral
oh `chaste
Not Robert

His face was all swollen and blue. Who's Kimbo's protege? I'm totally newbie on MMA related stuff, just got into it this year after I watched one of UFC's fight. It was like receiving an epiphany. neutral

Ray, it's a backyeard fight, can look it up on YouTube.
oh `chaste
Have you guys watched the fight between Toby Imada and that Jorge guy in Bellator? Toby did an amazing triangle chokehold on Jorge.

Btw Trop.exe, is that Fedor in you sig? smile

Yes, that's him.
So, Forrest or Anderson?
Stratamagnus
So, Forrest or Anderson?

My heart's on Forrest. My head's leaning towards Silva. One thing is for sure, Forrest is going to give Silva a fight; moreso than Silva's recent opponents.
I agree 100%. I really feel like Forrest has the potential to beat him, but my mind is saying "Just no". I think, if Forrest can avoid the counter, he'll win by taking it to the ground. I'm not saying submission, but I think his top game is busy enough to score points.

I just visualize Forrest getting in and bringing Anderson down with that one leg trip Forrest has.
Stratamagnus
I agree 100%. I really feel like Forrest has the potential to beat him, but my mind is saying "Just no". I think, if Forrest can avoid the counter, he'll win by taking it to the ground. I'm not saying submission, but I think his top game is busy enough to score points.

I just visualize Forrest getting in and bringing Anderson down with that one leg trip Forrest has.

I'd like to see Forrest work Silva against the cage. He trains with Couture, so it'd be nice to see some dirty boxing against Silva, and if so, takedown and pound him against the cage. Forrest does well ontop, as you said.
Silva's speed and precision with his striking is incredibly dangerous, and Forrest likes throwing leg kicks, so I can't help but seeing Forrest go down with a quick straight punch to the face, ala Silva vs. Irving.
He has to know that Silva will catch kicks, and that is how Rashad beat him. I would absolutely love to see Forrest pull this one out.

Hmm, so Lyoto or Rashad?
Stratamagnus
He has to know that Silva will catch kicks, and that is how Rashad beat him. I would absolutely love to see Forrest pull this one out.

Hmm, so Lyoto or Rashad?

Lyoto! Lol, I just read an article today on Machida (or just kind of sped thru it), and the writer of the article noted that the Machida we saw against Thiago Silva was a completely different Machida from before. Before, we only saw glimpses of a noticeable offense that we're used to in MMA. The fight with Thiago showed a Machida that showed a continuous offense. Heard he started adding some serious strength training to his work schedule and it truly showed in his last fight. He was easily wrestling Silva and that knockout was amazing.

Rashad, I think, while having good wrestling and improved striking, won't be able to deal with the unorthodox way Machida moves in and out of range. If he does get close, I think he'll try to wrestle him and keep him down and pound on him.

Really, though, it's hard to imagine what Rashad will try with Machida. All in all, I'm pulling for Machida. How about you?
We all like grudge matches,so who's got Davis over Hardy? sure it's a really insignificant fight, but should be insanely exciting.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff