Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you know your martial arts lineage? Explain in a post.

Yep 0.67567567567568 67.6% [ 25 ]
Nup 0.27027027027027 27.0% [ 10 ]
line-what? 0.054054054054054 5.4% [ 2 ]
Total Votes:[ 37 ]
Yo yello. A new poll is up for this thread. Maybe talk about your answers and the whatnot? I say yep.
goingd
Yo yello. A new poll is up for this thread. Maybe talk about your answers and the whatnot? I say yep.
I Answered a variety for the poll and then I relized how convoluted my answer is and decided to post why.
I started with Taekwondo As a kid and did that for a long time before quitting and starting up again and quitting. Pan forward 6 to 8 years and I get gay bashed. Eventualy I tell a teacher I am close to and He takes me to a Non profit judo school and I start there, I eventually soon after that Pick up hapkido too at this point I am doing it purely for self defense, Eventualy I start competing in judo tournaments locally even placing 2nd place in two divisions, And I help set up lgbt self defuse seminars, I picked up Wing Chun to help strengthen my striking and blocking and have started Kempo Karate for shits and giggles.
Karl_Krebs
goingd
I Answered a variety for the poll and then I relized how convoluted my answer is and decided to post why.
I started with Taekwondo As a kid and did that for a long time before quitting and starting up again and quitting. Pan forward 6 to 8 years and I get gay bashed. Eventualy I tell a teacher I am close to and He takes me to a Non profit judo school and I start there, I eventually soon after that Pick up hapkido too at this point I am doing it purely for self defense, Eventualy I start competing in judo tournaments locally even placing 2nd place in two divisions, And I help set up lgbt self defuse seminars, I picked up Wing Chun to help strengthen my striking and blocking and have started Kempo Karate for shits and giggles.

I've considered teaching self-defense for LGBT teens. I have a curriculum designed should I find the time, but I'm interested to know what you teach in your seminars, and how you teach it?
*bows and enters* There are not a lot of martial arts communites here. Not real ones anyway. I hope no one minds my presence.

I teach Shaolin Kempo, but I believe that everyone should do some kind of martial art, it doesn't matter what. There has been nothing more fulfilling in my life than my art. I love it.

And I always like to go for soft targets. Leopards paw to the throat or the muscle where the arm meets the shoulder. Eyes are good too. I'd rather pop them out than poke them though. I don't want to touch them! rofl
Raeshe
*bows and enters* There are not a lot of martial arts communites here. Not real ones anyway. I hope no one minds my presence.

I teach Shaolin Kempo, but I believe that everyone should do some kind of martial art, it doesn't matter what. There has been nothing more fulfilling in my life than my art. I love it.

And I always like to go for soft targets. Leopards paw to the throat or the muscle where the arm meets the shoulder. Eyes are good too. I'd rather pop them out than poke them though. I don't want to touch them! rofl
Welcome to the thread. You said you do Shaolin Kempo what are your thoughts of Fred Villari?

I am more of a wrestler myself and love to go for judo throws and simple take downs then dominate from a superior grappling position. Of course if its not a sparring match I kick the dude in the head when he's on the ground or just run off. No need to get an assault charge pressed on me for ripping an eye out or causing un nessecary permeant damage.
I haven't bought anything og his, but I don't like the idea of self training. I mean if thats the way you want to go, go for it... But how do you know if you're doing it right? Shouldn't someone be there to guide your learning? I read his bio, and Shaolin isn't a martial arts style by itself...

My biggest biff is that in that in Kempo circles ( maybe others too, I have not studied them) The highest rank you can achieve is that of Shihan. Its only attainable of you have mastered more than one art, have proven to be a person of integrity and good character, and have contributed to Kempo. Nowhere has Villari achieved this.

Still, maybe his style is good for some people.

^-^ I don't rip out eyes. Theres a point underneath them that, when enough pressure is applied, it forces the eyeballs to pop out. I don't want to get my fingers all eyeball juicy!
Raeshe
I haven't bought anything og his, but I don't like the idea of self training. I mean if thats the way you want to go, go for it... But how do you know if you're doing it right? Shouldn't someone be there to guide your learning? I read his bio, and Shaolin isn't a martial arts style by itself...

My biggest biff is that in that in Kempo circles ( maybe others too, I have not studied them) The highest rank you can achieve is that of Shihan. Its only attainable of you have mastered more than one art, have proven to be a person of integrity and good character, and have contributed to Kempo. Nowhere has Villari achieved this.

Still, maybe his style is good for some people.

^-^ I don't rip out eyes. Theres a point underneath them that, when enough pressure is applied, it forces the eyeballs to pop out. I don't want to get my fingers all eyeball juicy!
Yeah but then you still have the permeant damage and whole excessive force thing. Must safer to just put them on their but.
Yeah, I know... But some days I just desperately want a reason to use everything I learn. There will never be a time when I actually get to cause a heart arhythmia, or however you spell that. *sigh* I need to have been born in a different time and place. ^-^
Raeshe
Yeah, I know... But some days I just desperately want a reason to use everything I learn. There will never be a time when I actually get to cause a heart arhythmia, or however you spell that. *sigh* I need to have been born in a different time and place. ^-^
One of the bests blessings a person can have is to never have to put their marital arts to use in a fight, and be in that situation where it would be needed to cause harm to someone else.
But sparring is fun.
I cant argue with you there. Your life is blessed if you're never put in that situation. But don't you ever have the ache in your soul to be a warrior, like the samurai?

I love to spar.
Raeshe
I cant argue with you there. Your life is blessed if you're never put in that situation. But don't you ever have the ache in your soul to be a warrior, like the samurai?

I love to spar.
You can have a warriors spirit without seeking combat. As for the samurai they were the personification of a oppressive feudal cast and they exploited the common folk.Don't get me wrong I love the bushido code (my school is called Bushido) but I would not enjoy having such high stature over other people simply because I choose to serve them.

Sparring question.How do you guys do your sparring.
^-^ You know your history. I could argue that technically it was the shogunate, but you're right.

Now when you say how, do you mean how we go about it in the dojo or in tournament?

In dojo- Sparring gear required, point sparring if thats what were practicing, free sparring if not. Never full blast, avoid the face, try and stay above the belt.

Protect your partner is rule number one. Obviously if you hurt your partner, they don't want to be your partner anymore. ^-^

Tournament varies with belt ranks. Obviously its all point, but lower ranks make no contact and get points for coming close.

Third degree black belts spar in the dojo without gear if they want. They know not to deliberately hurt each other. They've been doing this for years and years. (clue: 2nd degree black must be a black for around 2 years before they're even considered for 2nd)

How about you?
Raeshe
^-^ You know your history. I could argue that technically it was the shogunate, but you're right.

Now when you say how, do you mean how we go about it in the dojo or in tournament?

In dojo- Sparring gear required, point sparring if thats what were practicing, free sparring if not. Never full blast, avoid the face, try and stay above the belt.

Protect your partner is rule number one. Obviously if you hurt your partner, they don't want to be your partner anymore. ^-^

Tournament varies with belt ranks. Obviously its all point, but lower ranks make no contact and get points for coming close.

Third degree black belts spar in the dojo without gear if they want. They know not to deliberately hurt each other. They've been doing this for years and years. (clue: 2nd degree black must be a black for around 2 years before they're even considered for 2nd)

How about you?
In Judo we do randori (free sparring) and newaza.
I go to tournaments and do standard judo rules. But outside of class I practice No go judo So its full force but no striking. Then I spar full force and and bit held back with my sifu outside of kung fu. Inside kung fu we do a mix of light/ no contact right now inside of class. Once we move up in rank he will allow us to do full contact. ( I am still a novice at Wing chun)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games