Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you know your martial arts lineage? Explain in a post.

Yep 0.67567567567568 67.6% [ 25 ]
Nup 0.27027027027027 27.0% [ 10 ]
line-what? 0.054054054054054 5.4% [ 2 ]
Total Votes:[ 37 ]
< 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 115 116 117 > >> >>> »|

goingd
Well, to be honest I think it's a load of bull monkey. I'm not bashing anyone that is into MMA, but I think my reasons are fair: (btw, these don't cover all my reasons)

1. It's advertised and thought to be realistic fighting.
-Realistically, on the streets, we're not going to find ourselves in an octagon shaped cage (usually not in a cage of any kind really, and we're not going to conveniently be on a mat designed for grappling.

2. It's hardly "mixed martial arts" at all.
-Most MMA competitors focus on Jujutsu and Muay Thai (not all of em o'course). What bugs me is that the reason for that is it just gives a better, quicker flash to the audience. On top of that, what most MMA guys (/girls) seem to be doing is focusing on getting really good at 2 or 3 kinds of kicks and strikes. "Mixed martial arts" used to mean you have a broader horizon than that.

3. In later years - especially in the UFC - they've sacrificed more realistic rules for money.
-Back in the day, if one fighter nailed to other to the floor and had 'im in a good lock, he would be allowed to keep him there for as long as he wanted. Now, if it looks like it's going no where, the ref will come and break them apart. Gee, that's realistic too...

Anywho, that's why I dun't like MMA blaugh

1. It IS realistic fighting, people get hit, people get hurt, arms get broke. I see very little arguement over it being "fake". We may not be on a mat designed for grappling in the real world, but that just makes it easier to hurt people with throws.

2. Thats because JuJitsu and Muay Thai are great martial arts. So is Boxing and Wrestling. I personally think Sambo, Judo, Catch Wrestling, and Shooto are great arts as well. I took JKD concepts for 1 year and learned more being hit and slammed than 5 years of forms at a Choy Lay Fut school.

3. I agree the older UFCs had a certain flair to them, but honestly it was nitwit 1 vs. nitwit 2 in most bouts. They would usually plod around the octogon until one knocked out the other poor sap with some basic streetfighting. Either that, or some karate guy would get bloodied and crawl on the floor until the ref stops the thing....
lazysleazy
goingd
Well, to be honest I think it's a load of bull monkey. I'm not bashing anyone that is into MMA, but I think my reasons are fair: (btw, these don't cover all my reasons)

-Realistically, on the streets, we're not going to find ourselves in an octagon shaped cage (usually not in a cage of any kind really, and we're not going to conveniently be on a mat designed for grappling.

-Most MMA competitors focus on Jujutsu and Muay Thai (not all of em o'course). What bugs me is that the reason for that is it just gives a better, quicker flash to the audience. On top of that, what most MMA guys (/girls) seem to be doing is focusing on getting really good at 2 or 3 kinds of kicks and strikes. "Mixed martial arts" used to mean you have a broader horizon than that.

3. In later years - especially in the UFC - they've sacrificed more realistic rules for money.
-Back in the day, if one fighter nailed to other to the floor and had 'im in a good lock, he would be allowed to keep him there for as long as he wanted. Now, if it looks like it's going no where, the ref will come and break them apart. Gee, that's realistic too...

1. It IS realistic fighting, people get hit, people get hurt, arms get broke. I see very little arguement over it being "fake". We may not be on a mat designed for grappling in the real world, but that just makes it easier to hurt people with throws.

2. Thats because JuJitsu and Muay Thai are great martial arts. So is Boxing and Wrestling. I personally think Sambo, Judo, Catch Wrestling, and Shooto are great arts as well. I took JKD concepts for 1 year and learned more being hit and slammed than 5 years of forms at a Choy Lay Fut school.

3. I agree the older UFCs had a certain flair to them, but honestly it was nitwit 1 vs. nitwit 2 in most bouts. They would usually plod around the octogon until one knocked out the other poor sap with some basic streetfighting. Either that, or some karate guy would get bloodied and crawl on the floor until the ref stops the thing....

lol nub
lazysleazy
goingd

The first UFC's were more brutal. I've rented the dvds for some of them. Compaired to the current UFC the older ones back when they started out were just street fights in a cage. They want to keep the fighters safe so more rules were made.
I do WTF Tae Kwon Do
Hahah, I'm posting again 'cause I can! Yes, regardless of the epic death of this thread, I just feel like it. BUT! FWI, for the heck of it, I will bump this thread every now and then, and check for posts regularly. SO, if you don't want to post because you think there will be a lack of conversingification (conversation that it is [black gold?]), then fear not so much! For I will respond from nowz on!

Woot? Woot indeed!
Allrighty then.
See, I responded. See.
Yes, yes you did. mrgreen
Well, I'm gonna make a random post about somethin martial artsy.

The World Taekwondo Federation which oversees all Taekwondo competition has been lately sacrificing standards for the sake of show, or just to flat out make Taekwondo easier. In forms competition governed by the WTF, or following it's rules and standards, the idea of a 'deep' stance is virtually dead. The horse stance, the front stance, the back stance, and the seldom side stance are now no longer required to be wide nor low to the ground. This makes it easier for teams to look better when demonstrating their forms, but there is no self defense application to stances like that. Doing stances like that will not give someone good stability, and it will not condition their body with anything but virtually pointless muscel memory. In addition, there are several newish standards as to what a good block or strike is considered. Middle blocks - whether inside, outside or reverse - are now meant for some reason to only be as high as the shoulder. If we always practice it that way, it's just going to be that much harder if we actually have to block our face. (But hey, how often does someone actually go for the face in a fight, right?) They do similar things with hand strikes. We have to remember that Taekwondo is an art of self defense. It was never originally designed to be pure sport. The WTF and Kukkiwon restlessly aim to increase the popularity of Taekwondo. But that is not a good thing if they sacrifice so many important standards to do it. Competition is a good thing in Taekwondo. It promotes community and it gives everybody the chance to test what they've learned outside their own school. Personally, I do not believe in completely standardizing any style of martial arts. I believe that of course, there should always be standards that are met. But I think that when every school teaches the exact same thing, the same way, it takes away the personality of the martial art. In Taekwondo, I love to practice and teach the Taegeuk forms, but I teach my very own set of One-Step-Sparring techniques. I teach blocks and all strikes with high standards, and I incorporate Hapkido and weapons. Every school is an individual entity of the martial art they teach. And every instructor is an entity of that school. There is a very fine line that we must be very careful not to cross. We need to be genuine people and genuine martial artisits.

Kudos if you read through all of this! blaugh
I read all of it. It's a shame if the WTF is not sticking with tradition just to make it easier on some.
In that case I am an avi of my word. I give you digital kudos!
Thank you very much.
Many welcomes!

So... hmmmmm... I wish more people would post on this thread. But anywho, I'm just gonna keep writting when I can and see where that goes!
(-Abraham says, "Haunted Strawberry Jam."-

My future school:
Kwahbahm?
I plan to offer two trial offers. One is simply one free class - I won't advertise this on as much. The other is one full month of classes, plus a free uniform for $29. My regular tuition will be $95 a month. I will not require contracts or automatic bill payment. However, I will give my students the option to pay $950 upfront for a full year, which saves close to $200.
I will traditional Taekwondo. Although, the forms I teach will be the Taegeuk forms. For the youth class (ages *5-15) I will teach Kijo-il-bo, the most basic white belt form, using a walking stance. But for adults and all black belts I will teach it traditionally from a long front stance. Like other schools, I will require my students to remember their past forms and one-step-sparring techniques. For two different belts - 2nd blut and 2nd brown - I will teach my students weapon forms and weapon defense instead Taegeuk forms and hand to hand defense (btw, it'll be nunchakus and long staff). Now, for the adult class (15 and up) I will teach things the same way, but for each belt level I will also teach one Hapkido technique. Like the rest of the curriculum, as they progress they will be required to remember the past techniques. Eventually, if I can learn a great deal more Hapkido myself and move up beyond 1st degree black belt, I would like to try to integrate a Hapkido class into my schedule. I would like to do the same thing for Haedong Kumdo (Korean sword art). My plan is to open my school when I am at least a 3rd degree black belt in Taekwondo (currently 2nd degree) and after I have finished college. I really do hope though to eventually be at 6th Dan in the three arts of Taekwondo, Hapkido and Haedong Kumdo. I want to one day expand and open up multiple locations.

... I lurve the martial arts! heart
That sounds like a good idea. Good luck with your plans.
Oh my Gawd. *Jaw drops*
This thread's still around!
My main's the first reply. Lulz!

$95 a month? Eh . . .

Brb . . .

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items