Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've never been good at any sports. They all had too many rules. *grumbles* So a guy at church camp was talking about starting parkour and i got interested. I read about it and want to give it a whirl. If there are any traceurs out there i need tips. I'm 14 and have no background in gymnastics or martial arts. Help would be nice if you know anything about the sport. Thanks for reading... smile
I am going to tell you one thing that so many "wanna-b" parkourist fail at. It is rolling. Before you start jumping please learn how to roll properly. There are a few good video tutorials on youtube you should really look at. By rolling you reduce the risk of injury and long term damage in your lower part of your body. Once you learn how to properly role then I would say just get over any fear you have of heights. Learn how to jump from a high distance and still be able to roll. Once you mastered jumping from heights and how to roll you learned the basic heart of parkour. Thats when I think it is apropriate to start learning vaults, traceurs, vaults, and other stuff. I just call them Show off moves though lol.

Martial arts is the way how to fight. Parkour is the martial art of fleeing a fight wink
Americanparkour.com

And yes. the first thing you NEED to get down is rolling. That cool kong you did won't mean much if you break your ankle/arm/face on the landing.
urbanfreeflow.com has a good health section, which I highly value for parkour information needs. The most important thing to you should be your health, and when you take the first steps in learning parkour you should feel like a rainbow-happy hippy in practicing yoga, eating cooked veggies, and using exercise balls.

and protecting your back. srsly. Expertvillage on youtube has great advice about being able to hold certain muscle positions before attempting such-and-such technique, and any physical therapy for your lower back will take you great lengths in your abilities.
I want to start parkour too. I've done gymnastics, but that was when I was younger and fitter crying I climb weekly though, so I think that'll help.
Yeah the most important thing to start with is the roll, mainly over the head sumersault. Once your good at that start jumping from short heights like maybe the couch or a chair. REMEMBER TO BEND YOUR LEGS!!!

AmericanParkour.com is probly the best site out there for tutorials but there are a few good vids on youtube.

Feel freeto PM with questions, im 17 and ive parkoured all my life. ^^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces