Welcome to Gaia! ::

3,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Market Browser 100
What would be a good training schedule to start getting my body to learn the skills I would need to do Kendo?

I am going to try an join a kendo beginners course in 7 weeks and I would like to know what exercises I should do help my body to develop the skills it would need for me to pass the course and able to perform the different sword moves.
I am not looking for eat right information or run around the block twice a day I’m looking for workout instructions. What exercises I need to do how many a day and what activities I can do in the mean time that will help me improve these develop these skills.

If this is needed I’m 20 years old I’m thin but I’m not fit so please suggest something that is good for me on my level.

Thank you to anyone who can answer this one.

3,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Market Browser 100
Here's the answer to my question

From Yahoo Answers

As a Dan player for Kendo in my club, and a senior, I get asked this by my juniors and our beginners at times, especially for holiday season when we have no training. What you should focus upon is your lower body, especially your calves. Kendo is heavily reliant upon footwork, without the right footwork, you can not drive your body to cover distance, nor can you apply power and speed to make the cuts with the right timing. Using only your arms is incorrect, and you will learn eventually that footwork is vital and paired up with everything. Do calf lifts - so standing flat footed, and lifting your body up onto your tippytoes, and then back again. do this slowly both up and down. Do squats Do lunges - Kendo lunges are different to fencing lunges. In Kendo, both feet point forwards. Try to maintain your body so that your torso remains straight upright, and not leaning in any direction. Do spring leaps - So, from a standing position, leap forwards by pushing with your left leg only (thus using your calf) and landing into a lunge with the right. This is the basic movement of a kihon footwork. For your upper body, wrists are vital. Do flexibility exercises to have supple wrists. Triceps are important, and so are the forearm muscles for grip strength. If you have those grip things that you clench in your hands that is the coiled spring, use them to build your grip strength BUT, it is important that you build yourring and pinky finger strength in both hands, as they are the ones you need, since when gripping a shinai, or bokken, or shinken (ie, gripping any of the weapons use in Kendo) the thumb, index and middle fingers are actually loose, while ring and pinky are what provides the grip power on the sword. As for weights, start with a 1lb or 500g weight (a filled plastic bottle of water is fine), and do two handed overhead swings, so lift up to behind your head, virtually to the back of your head, and then back down to your groin. Seems easy, but start with say 50, then increase to 100, then 200, 400, to 1000 and you'll find out how easy it actually isn't lol. The shinai weighs 510g for men, 440g for women, so to start, use appropriate weight. You can then bump it to 1kg or higher. As for fitness, it would also be helpful to improve your cardio razz

O.G. Explorer

5,600 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
I don't think there's really a specific schedule you have to follow for exercise, but it's best if you practice the footwork when you have time. Also, the hitting part is VERY important, of course. xD I would reccomend doing haya-suburi for that. Perhaps about 100 times or so.

By the way, once you start doing kendo, it'll be a good idea to keep on doing it, instead of just "trying." The bogu is reeeeally expensive.
you've probably desided weither or not kendo is your thing but. i was pretty much in your shoes. the sensei doesnt normally just throw you in with everyone else. he trains you to work you up to being able to do everthing else that the other students can do. he also learns your limitations and abilities. ex: my first day my sensei had me stand still with the correct foot work and hold a shinai over my head for the entire practice. the next day i couldnt even raise my hand to my heart for the pledge of alegience but my sensei learned that i would push through something even if it hurt.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff