Welcome to Gaia! ::

THE most awesome sport of all time. Come on. Swords. pirate I rest my case. So whatever weapon you fence, or even if you're just considering starting fencing (do it) feel free to discuss whatever fencing related thing is on your mind here.

I personally had a question. I fence sabre. My last pair of sneakers was eventually scrapped when the right shoe's sole became nearly totally detatched over time from the top of the shoe. I got a new pair a few weeks ago. The sole of this pair is also starting to peel off from the stress of fencing, so I figured it might be best if I got some actual fencing shoes- I hear they die less quickly. Unfortunately, I've never bought them before, and I feel a little nervous about spending tons of money on shoes I have no idea of whether will work out for me. So. What kind of fencing shoes do you use/recommend? What kind would you definitely NOT recommend?
i'd love to start fencing...but i'm already into taekwondo....so that could be a slight problem stare

btw: swords are awesome anyways pirate
well, i've never had a problem like that myself, and i ran cross country while i was fencing. it may have just been that your shoes weren't glued very well or something, that happens from time to time sweatdrop , i think the big sell on fencing shoes is they have uneven ankle support, so you don't have the shoe trying to rotate your foot like you would with, to use a really stupid example, boots. i always fence in running shoes myself though so, not an expert there smile
i'm a foilist myself by the way.

3,950 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Contributor 150
I'm also a foil fencer and I've never had problems with my tennis shoes. I actually hadn't heard about special fencing shoes although I suppose I'm not surprised that they exist. And to the ninja up there, there was a girl in my fencing class who was doing martial arts (not sure which exactly) and fencing so...it's possible.
I've had my current pair of shoes for years (yeah, I should probably replace them more often), but the only thing wearing out on them is the backs, and that's more because I don't tie them everytime. I really need to just get velcro'ed shoes. -_-;

Anyway, I'm an epee fencer, and have spent the last few months with the nearby SCA group. It's pretty handy that they meet up at my school, so it's not a hassle at all to get to the meetings. I find it to be a great form of swordsmanship, since it emphasizes speed and accuracy.

My only problem is when I run into the few katana elitists who claim they can slice my blade in two before I do a thing. I actually had a friend that claimed this, completely dismissing any point I made about a fencer's speed and accuracy, much less the fact that I'd have to be an idiot to put my blade in a position where he could actually cut it (not that he could anyway).
YAY!!! FENCING RULZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol I do foil been fencing for about a year and a half, have an E, went to the SN twice (every one since I started =) ummmmmmmmm I do bay cups, nationals, RYCs, SYCs and all the other ones too!

btw Who else was at the Summer Nationals?

also about the shoe problem, I had to get fencing shoes made for women cuz the pading for the foot would always slide but only with my right, or back foot, but even WITH the new shoes it boes it! so my mom hase to glue it down w/ nail glue! lol =D

Fashionable Phantom

huzzah! im gonna start fencing. im gonna take a summer camp first, then take lessons. biggrin
i fenced for about two years in college....foil..
it was a lot of fun but it ended up taking up too much time

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces