Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Genius

7,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
I'm thinking about getting into archery but not sure where to start. I know I'm right eye dominate and I've been practicing getting my elbow to go horizontal and not vertical. Any suggestions on equipment? I owe no equipment as of now but I'm thinking a waist quiver and a traditional bow. Also any tips on archery itself? I luckily have an archery range about 10 minutes from my house to go to so any info to help me not look like a total idiot would be helpful.
Try getting an airowgun. Shoot people with a paintball bow and test your skills smile

Dangerous Genius

7,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
Wagh
Try getting an airowgun. Shoot people with a paintball bow and test your skills smile

Any gun of any type isn't a good idea. I have small children in my house so I don't want to risk it.
iSamma
Wagh

Any gun of any type isn't a good idea. I have small children in my house so I don't want to risk it.

Its not a gun as in a firearm. It is more or less a paintball marker that gets its propelling force from a bow string.
Lancaster has a free catalog with everything for beginners and pros alike.

As far as questions about the sport, what would you like to know?

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/
If you are shooting a recurve bow, it is ideal to have your string hand finish at around your ear rather than away from your face.

39,340 Points
  • Small Blind 100
  • Smooth Operator 100
  • Deal Me In 50
I do archery (but need to pratice A LOT more)
and the bigest tip I can give you is to watch your stance.
I go through a mental checklist whenever I shoot an arrow, and it goes something like this:

Feet/ legs: good distance apart?
Hips/ balance: am i leaning in any direction? (which is bad)
Bow hand-relaxed? (if you hold the bow too tightly it can twist it a little which messes up your aim)
Bow arm/ bow: straight out?
Draw: is my elbow/wrist cocked out? Is my elbow too high? am I touching the corner of my mouth with my index finger? (my preferred placement, do what works for you)
Breathing: draw in, let go half a breath, hold, fire arrow, release other half of breath.
iSamma
I'm thinking about getting into archery but not sure where to start. I know I'm right eye dominate and I've been practicing getting my elbow to go horizontal and not vertical. Any suggestions on equipment? I owe no equipment as of now but I'm thinking a waist quiver and a traditional bow. Also any tips on archery itself? I luckily have an archery range about 10 minutes from my house to go to so any info to help me not look like a total idiot would be helpful.

See if your range offers classes. Sometimes they will offer classes/tutorials on bows, often to help customers with any possible purchases. They can help you pick which bow you will like the most. I personally shoot with a recurve, but some people like a compound bow because it takes less energy because of the mechanics of the bow. Recurves and longbows are more traditional since they require pure human strength to draw. Longbows though are traditionally supposed to be as long as you are tall. Recurves will be smaller, but their draw power can tend to be higher.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff