Welcome to Gaia! ::

Enduring Associate

8,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Clambake 200
I think part of it is because remakes are the only fresh material he puts out anymore, and even that he tries to temporize. He makes pretty much the same movie every time, with the same cast playing the same characters, the same wardrobe/set design sensibility, and the same Danny Elfman score. He retreads a lot. Which is not to say that he is horrible, okay, or that he is a bad filmmaker from a technical perspective, or that people should not enjoy his work. But a lot of folks get a bit tired of watching Helena Bonham Carter act crazy while Johnny Depp broods, all to the piano music of Mr. Elfman. Dude's a bit of a one-trick pony, which is all well and good for some, but which frustrates others.
WAIT!? There are people who actually liked Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes?
I love Pee-wee's Big Adventure. But I don't credit that so much to direction. I love everything Pee-wee.

Now, everything in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was typical Burton. It just so happened that was a perfect fit. It's one of my favorite movies.

Of course, that also has to do with the fact that I've spent my life knowing my wonderful childhood book had been adapted to that miserable abortion of a film, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and everybody loved it.

Anxious Bookworm

I'm just the opposite. I usually don't like his remakes but LOVE his original movies. Corpse Bride is probably my favorite.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Farber
I love Pee-wee's Big Adventure. But I don't credit that so much to direction. I love everything Pee-wee.

Now, everything in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was typical Burton. It just so happened that was a perfect fit. It's one of my favorite movies.

Of course, that also has to do with the fact that I've spent my life knowing my wonderful childhood book had been adapted to that miserable abortion of a film, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and everybody loved it.

Hey.

You don't [********] with Gene Wilder.

Tipsy Nerd

I don't like too many of his remakes. I think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was the only one I really cared for.

I hated his version of Alice in Wonderland. The only thing I liked was the Jabberwocky.

I'm more of a fan of his original stuff.

Dapper Dabbler

7,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200
because his original work doesnt have the omg quirky jagged spirals hot topic appeal

Rainbow Unicorn

They don't take cinema studies?

Or just turn to what's popular and what's known I guess.

Distinct Friend

I don't think people purposely ignore his original work, they just don't KNOW about his original work, and don't really go through any effort to look into it.

Friendly Bibliophile

8,025 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Tycoon 200
As far a I'm concerned, Tim Burton reached his peak in the '90's with stuff like Edward Scissorhands, and The Nightmare Before Christmas. I also like his Batman movies the best. His version of The Penguin (played by Danny Devito) is awesome. I love Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman too.

Invisible Genius

9,800 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
ijustdontcareXD

...practically ignore his original ideas. In my personal opinion, his original work is his best work. I mean, when I ask someone what their favorite Burton film is they often say Alice in Wonderland or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and sometimes they'll even throw in Sweeney Todd or even Planet of the Apes. Of all his movies, these are also the ones that seem to make the most money. Well, apparently Frankenweenie has had a weak opening so far despite the overwhelming positive reviews by top critics. I personally loved the original short, and I'm sure I'll love this one too. I just can't understand why people aren't more attracted to this than his remakes.

Ideas?

User Image

I think the answer is obvious. Name an original film he recently came out with? I thought of Frankenweenie...
Okay, now name a recent remake. I can think of at least 3.
I would think that if he was making more original stuff then crappy remakes, it would be the other way around.

ALSO, Frankenweenie had bad advertising, I got no idea of what the film was really like from the commercials, as where his remakes are all over the T.V and the trailors were overdone.

Alien Loiterer

I never got that impression. Personally I hated his remakes, and loved his original ideas...

Anxious Gawker

4,350 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Love Machine 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
When I was little I whatched the nightmere before christmas all the time my sister was a big fan of tim burton as I grew I ended up beig a fan to I whached almost all of his work I loved frankenweenie and vincent. No one even seemed to no what frankenweenie was when I said it but when the remake came out everyone new exactly what it was. :I
don't get me wrong I love all of his stuff old and new. although I do feel like the Alice and wonderland,charlie and the chocolate factory and dark shadows weren't as good at all as his other works in my opinion...

Savage Sweetheart

13,900 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
Not reading through the thread to find out if anyone's mentioned it yet but, Frankenweenie IS a remake too smile
It was a short and live action, bout half an hour long that Burton made in the 80s. Starred the amazing Shelley Duvall, Daniel Stern and Bastien from the Neverending Story.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff