Welcome to Gaia! ::

Newbie Explorer

My favorite Tim Burton movies are Corpse Bride and Beetlejuice. I only remake I liked was Sleepy Hollow.

Tim Burton remakes normally suck and the only great thing about them are the casts.

Eloquent Streaker

Captain Talavar
Requiem in Mortis
Probably because he's not a very good director.

No, seriously. The only Burton films I consider to be good are The Nightmare Before Christmas* and the first two Batman films. The rest are generally pretty mediocre, with their only real appeal is in how outright weird they are.

*Yes, The Nightmare Before Christmas was directed by Henry Sellick, but for all intents and purposes it is a Tim Burton film.

No it's not. Again, over the course of a two year shoot, Burton was hardly ever there. It's visually Burtonesque, but Selick has a similar style anyway. Look at Coraline for instance. Way too many people were fooled into thinking that was a Burton film, and it worked because the visual style wasn't too far from Burton's.
The film is usually billed as Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. In almost every situation I've seen, when somebody uses stuff for the movie in another source (ex. the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland during Halloween, the Halloweentown levels in Kingdom Hearts, etc.), they have a legal notice that basically says Burton owns the film. And even Selick sort of admits that the movie was originally Burton's idea.

So yes, it IS a Tim Burton film. Even if it's not, EVERYONE IN THE WORLD associates it with Tim Burton, so constantly trying to inform people otherwise is a futile effort.
Requiem in Mortis
Captain Talavar
Requiem in Mortis

No, seriously. The only Burton films I consider to be good are The Nightmare Before Christmas* and the first two Batman films. The rest are generally pretty mediocre, with their only real appeal is in how outright weird they are.

*Yes, The Nightmare Before Christmas was directed by Henry Sellick, but for all intents and purposes it is a Tim Burton film.

No it's not. Again, over the course of a two year shoot, Burton was hardly ever there. It's visually Burtonesque, but Selick has a similar style anyway. Look at Coraline for instance. Way too many people were fooled into thinking that was a Burton film, and it worked because the visual style wasn't too far from Burton's.
The film is usually billed as Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. In almost every situation I've seen, when somebody uses stuff for the movie in another source (ex. the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland during Halloween, the Halloweentown levels in Kingdom Hearts, etc.), they have a legal notice that basically says Burton owns the film. And even Selick sort of admits that the movie was originally Burton's idea.

So yes, it IS a Tim Burton film. Even if it's not, EVERYONE IN THE WORLD associates it with Tim Burton, so constantly trying to inform people otherwise is a futile effort.

It was billed as Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas because he'd just come off of successes like Batman and Edward Scissorhands and Disney was worried the film wouldn't make money unless Burton's name was attached. Burton doesn't own the film, Disney does.

Yeah, it was Burton's idea. That much can't be disputed...but it was Selick's film, because he was there every day when it was made, he was pretty much in charge of the production (as the director usually is, hence why the director of a film is considered the film's "author" so to speak), and it's got Henry Selick's style all over it (though Burton's style is there too somewhat, obviously).

I don't really care of everyone in the world gives Burton the "authorship" of the film, because that's not the truth. The truth is that it's Henry Selick's film. Spawned from Burton's imagination, sure. Burton set it up as the producer. But he stepped back and let Selick actually direct the film. He was hardly ever on set, and in fact he was busy making Batman Returns at the time anyway.

Liberal Werewolf

9,750 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Planet of the Apes has been the only Burton movie I never really cared for that much. Other than that, I love his movies and I'm supposed to be seeing Frankenweenie this Friday with my mom, since she's in love with Sparky since she saw the t-shirts at the Disney Store in our mall. xp

But yeah, I rarely see anyone talking about Mars Attacks, Big Fish, etc. Edward Scissorhands is of course talked about because of Johnny Depp and Winona....Favorite Burton movie would have to be either Corpse Bride or Mars Attacks though, even though I love me some Depp.

And from what I read in a local review in the paper, apparently Disney fired Tim for being too macabre when it came to the original Frankenweenie short and Vincent(which I have not seen, but I plan on looking it up because it sounds awesome.)

And regardless of who deserves credit on Nightmare Before Christmas, it's still a good film anyways. I've loved it since I was six years old, and haven't stopped loving it. Driven my family crazy with it. I kinda do hate that Sellick gets overlooked, but the marketing is to blame for that.
ijustdontcareXD

...practically ignore his original ideas. In my personal opinion, his original work is his best work. I mean, when I ask someone what their favorite Burton film is they often say Alice in Wonderland or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and sometimes they'll even throw in Sweeney Todd or even Planet of the Apes. Of all his movies, these are also the ones that seem to make the most money. Well, apparently Frankenweenie has had a weak opening so far despite the overwhelming positive reviews by top critics. I personally loved the original short, and I'm sure I'll love this one too. I just can't understand why people aren't more attracted to this than his remakes.

Ideas?

User Image

I was under the impression that most people hated his versions of Chocolate Factory and Planet of the Apes.

Alice in Wonderland was nothing special. It needed to be more American McGee esque.

His best flick is Batman
mangafan7713
ijustdontcareXD
Captain Talavar

It really doesn't suprise me that a big film company like WB would push such changes. rolleyes I'm glad to hear that he put a few Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands hints in there, though.

User Image

Jack Skellington's face is on the scarecrow in Dark Shadows. You can see it on the part where Barnabas meets Willie (the drunk guy) in the pumpkin patch. Oh and the Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my favorites.

Not a Burton film.

norakun91
Captain Talavar
norakun91
Don't know might just be what they like or know by him. He's done alot of movies.

I know that my all time favorite of his is Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach. 4laugh heart

Neither of those are Tim Burton movies. Burton produced them, and his fingerprint is there on The Nightmare Before Christmas in a visual sense, but both are Henry Selick films. 3nodding

Either way I recognize them as his movies.
You shouldn't. They are NOT his movies. You should give credit where credit is due. Selick is brilliant. Coraline was his work, too.

Requiem in Mortis
Captain Talavar
Requiem in Mortis

His name was attached to the project because Burton was huge news after Batman.s**t, he was doing Batman Returns while Nightmare was being made. It is NOT his work. It is Selick's work. Having Burton's name attached to the title has probably hurt Selick's career. That's why his films say "From the director of Nightmare Before Christmas" instead of "From director Henry Selick." Did that never strike you as odd? Coraline was listed as "from the director of Nightmare" while Tim Burton films say "from director Tim Burton."

Dapper Vampire

5,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Vornwrath
I was under the impression that most people hated his versions of Chocolate Factory and Planet of the Apes.

Alice in Wonderland was nothing special. It needed to be more American McGee esque.

His best flick is Batman

I actually really like his Alice in Wonderland, but I do admit that I was definitely expecting something more American McGee-esque. But he did work with Disney. I can only imagine what it would've been like if he had full free reign to do whatever he wanted. whee

As far as the main question of this topic, it's probably because people are already familiar with the story/idea. Dark Shadows, for example, may not have been very well known among most younger fans (myself not included), but older fans probably flocked to it like crazy! Plus, if you'll notice, a lot of his remakes are Disney. There's your answer right there.

Dark Shadows is actually one of my personal favorites. (My current favorite at the moment, actually.) Vincent is my absolute all-time favorite film creation of his, but it's only about five minutes long. lol Corpse Bride and Sweeney Todd are just below them. As for Frankenweenie, I love the original half-hour short he had and am super excited to see more of a story go with it! heart
people i know love everyone of his films....though their favourites are ones with johnny depp in

Dapper Dabbler

7,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200
i like burtons original works
when hes in his element completely he shines

hes remakes are atrocious though

Beloved Vampire

8,600 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Regular 100
I'm really looking forward to seeing Frankenweenie the only reason I saw Alice in wonderland was because I love the story but other than that I tend to avoid the films with both Johhny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter just because it seems lazy to cast the same people every film
Finodrerr
I'm really looking forward to seeing Frankenweenie the only reason I saw Alice in wonderland was because I love the story but other than that I tend to avoid the films with both Johhny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter just because it seems lazy to cast the same people every film

Some of the greatest filmmakers of all time have been known to keep using the same people over and over in their films. John Ford, for instance.

Even now you see it all the time. Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott. Denzel Washington and the late Tony Scott. Rob Zombie tends to use Sid Haig, Michael Berryman, and Ken Foree, as well as his wife who's been in every one of his films. Martin Scorsese uses Leo DiCaprio a lot. Robert Rodriguez uses Danny Trejo in almost everything.

Filmmakers build relationships with actors and go to them frequently because of that. They develop their own sort of shorthand language together, they know they can count on each other. This happens all the time with successful filmmakers, but Burton seems to be the only one who is excessively called out and criticized for it.

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150

People liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland? Those were horrendous.

Either way, as far as I'm concerned his best work is Big Fish and Sweeney Todd, as well as to a lesser extent, Sleepy Hollow.

But while I -have- met someone who -liked- his version of Chocolate Factory, I have never met anyone who was a big fan of Alice in Wonderland. At best, I've heard even Burton fanatics say it's 'okay'.
Poeden

People liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland? Those were horrendous.

Either way, as far as I'm concerned his best work is Big Fish and Sweeney Todd, as well as to a lesser extent, Sleepy Hollow.

But while I -have- met someone who -liked- his version of Chocolate Factory, I have never met anyone who was a big fan of Alice in Wonderland. At best, I've heard even Burton fanatics say it's 'okay'.

Context is always important, however. Alice was not a passion project for Burton. It was a deal maker film. He basically told Disney, "I'll do Alice, and if it's successful, then you gotta give me free reign to do Frankenweenie however I like." And that's what happened. Alice In Wonderland was a hit and all he had to do was sleepwalk through it, and then Disney let him go ahead and make Frankenweenie as a 3D black-and-white stop motion animated film.

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150
Captain Talavar
Poeden

Context is always important, however. Alice was not a passion project for Burton. It was a deal maker film. He basically told Disney, "I'll do Alice, and if it's successful, then you gotta give me free reign to do Frankenweenie however I like." And that's what happened. Alice In Wonderland was a hit and all he had to do was sleepwalk through it, and then Disney let him go ahead and make Frankenweenie as a 3D black-and-white stop motion animated film.
But... how was Alice in Wonderland popular? o_o I've never even heard anyone say they liked it considerably.
Poeden
Captain Talavar
Poeden

But... how was Alice in Wonderland popular? o_o I've never even heard anyone say they liked it considerably.

Hot Topic crowd. A very basic, superficial fangasm over Alice In Wonderland, combined with a very basic, superficial fangasm over Tim Burton, combined into a tidal wave of "LYK OMFG TIM BURTON IS LYK MAKING ALICE IN WONDERLAND!!!!!1!1!!!1!"

And it made bank. Outside of them it got a fairly lukewarm reception, sure, but the studio doesn't care about "outside of them" because THEY made Disney a ton of money.

But it's been a few years and that Hot Topic crowd probably doesn't give as much of a s**t anymore. So when it was time for Johnny Depp to play a vampire in Burton's Dark Shadows they were over it.

In other words, Tim Burton became a fad for a little bit, and now that's sinking back down. Now the fad is people hating on him for no reason, or bullshit reasons.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff