Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Lover

7,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Captain Talavar
norakun91
Don't know might just be what they like or know by him. He's done alot of movies.

I know that my all time favorite of his is Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach. 4laugh heart

Neither of those are Tim Burton movies. Burton produced them, and his fingerprint is there on The Nightmare Before Christmas in a visual sense, but both are Henry Selick films. 3nodding

Either way I recognize them as his movies.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I NEED to see more Halloweenish movies. I don't know what it is, but I am so excited not just for Frankenweenie, but Hotel Transylvania.

norakun91
Captain Talavar
norakun91
Don't know might just be what they like or know by him. He's done alot of movies.

I know that my all time favorite of his is Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach. 4laugh heart

Neither of those are Tim Burton movies. Burton produced them, and his fingerprint is there on The Nightmare Before Christmas in a visual sense, but both are Henry Selick films. 3nodding

They're not his movies. They're Henry Selick movies. Burton only visited the two-year shoot for The Nightmare Before Christmas a few times, and was never there for long. James and the Giant Peach is even LESS a Burton film, since the ONLY thing he did was produce it. That was Henry Selick's picture all the way. Burton had some influence on TNBC but much, much less on JATGP.

Give proper credit where it's due. Those are Selick's pictures.

Friendly Lover

7,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Captain Talavar
norakun91
Captain Talavar
norakun91

They're not his movies. They're Henry Selick movies. Burton only visited the two-year shoot for The Nightmare Before Christmas a few times, and was never there for long. James and the Giant Peach is even LESS a Burton film, since the ONLY thing he did was produce it. That was Henry Selick's picture all the way. Burton had some influence on TNBC but much, much less on JATGP.

Give proper credit where it's due. Those are Selick's pictures.

cool. thanks for the info heart

Swashbuckling Pirate

7,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
Captain Talavar
norakun91

He wrote the story. So technically it's his movie even if didn't direct it.
mangafan7713
Captain Talavar
norakun91

He wrote a little three page poem and helped Elfman with some of the storyline so he could write the songs, but the script wasn't written by him, and they were constantly adjusting it as they were filming.

A process which, as I've pointed out, Burton was hardly ever there for. Because it was not his film. It was Selick's film. Burton had a hand in it, sure. That can't be disputed. But Selick was there every day when the film was made, and if you compare it to other Selick films, his footprint is just as strong as Burton's if not stronger.

Swashbuckling Pirate

7,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
Captain Talavar
mangafan7713
Captain Talavar
norakun91

He wrote a little three page poem and helped Elfman with some of the storyline so he could write the songs, but the script wasn't written by him, and they were constantly adjusting it as they were filming.

A process which, as I've pointed out, Burton was hardly ever there for. Because it was not his film. It was Selick's film. Burton had a hand in it, sure. That can't be disputed. But Selick was there every day when the film was made, and if you compare it to other Selick films, his footprint is just as strong as Burton's if not stronger.

I'm just saying it based on what Tim Burton wrote.
mangafan7713
Captain Talavar
mangafan7713
Captain Talavar
norakun91

And Beetlejuice was Michael McDowell's idea. We going to start giving him all the credit for that film? Not to mention how many other adaptations Burton has done of other peoples' material.

Burton's idea? Sure. But it's Selick's movie.

Swashbuckling Pirate

7,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
Captain Talavar
mangafan7713
Captain Talavar
mangafan7713
Captain Talavar
norakun91

And Beetlejuice was Michael McDowell's idea. We going to start giving him all the credit for that film? Not to mention how many other adaptations Burton has done of other peoples' material.

Um. I never said anything about Beetlejuice. I know Tim Burton does adaptions for other peoples material. A lot of Directors do that. I'm just saying the Nightmare before Christmas is based on Tim Burton's poem.
mangafan7713
Captain Talavar
mangafan7713
Captain Talavar
mangafan7713

Um. I never said anything about Beetlejuice. I know Tim Burton does adaptions for other peoples material. A lot of Directors do that. I'm just saying the Nightmare before Christmas is based on Tim Burton's poem.

Yeah, but that doesn't make it Burton's film. The poem is Burton's but the film is Selick's.

Swashbuckling Pirate

7,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
Captain Talavar
mangafan7713
Captain Talavar
mangafan7713
Captain Talavar
mangafan7713

Yeah, but that doesn't make it Burton's film. The poem is Burton's but the film is Selick's.

The film is not owned by any one person. But by all who work on it. Unless you made it by yourself.

Eloquent Streaker

Probably because he's not a very good director.

No, seriously. The only Burton films I consider to be good are The Nightmare Before Christmas* and the first two Batman films. The rest are generally pretty mediocre, with their only real appeal is in how outright weird they are.

*Yes, The Nightmare Before Christmas was directed by Henry Sellick, but for all intents and purposes it is a Tim Burton film.
Requiem in Mortis
Probably because he's not a very good director.

No, seriously. The only Burton films I consider to be good are The Nightmare Before Christmas* and the first two Batman films. The rest are generally pretty mediocre, with their only real appeal is in how outright weird they are.

*Yes, The Nightmare Before Christmas was directed by Henry Sellick, but for all intents and purposes it is a Tim Burton film.

No it's not. Again, over the course of a two year shoot, Burton was hardly ever there. It's visually Burtonesque, but Selick has a similar style anyway. Look at Coraline for instance. Way too many people were fooled into thinking that was a Burton film, and it worked because the visual style wasn't too far from Burton's.
It's probably because people are too busy complaining about his remakes, but that's human nature, I guess. I mean, how often do you see people talking about Vincent, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Ed Wood, Mars Attacks!, or Big Fish? You don't. At least I don't and it's a shame.

Why praise when you can complain?

Friendly Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
I really want to see Frankenweenie.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash