Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bloodthirsty Sex Symbol

25,025 Points
  • Monster Hunter 100
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Brandisher 100
Franchises are reliable. With an original idea you're taking a big risk. People will only see it on the merit of the film itself and possibly the staff of said film. If you pick something with a strong fan base, like Alice in Wonderland or a Roald Dahl novel with a classic movie based off it, you'll automatically have hundreds of thousands, if not millions, who'll see it at least once regardless of how you do it.

Dapper Darling

10,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Captain Talavar
Smexi Chex Mix
I prefer his animated movies to his live action stuff any day. The Nightmare Before Christmas is my favourite Burton, hands down.

It's not a Burton film. It's a Selick film. Burton was just the producer. Over two years he only visited the set four times. He was busy making Batman Returns during almost the entire production. Selick was there every day, working with the puppets and working with Danny Elfman, working with everybody.

It's Selick's film.

As for Burton's animated movies, which one is your favorite? Meaning one he actually made himself, thus can be counted as a Burton movie.

The movie is his story, hence, it kinda counts as his movie just like the Harry Potter movies count as a work of J.K. Rowling. Her idea.
Smexi Chex Mix
Captain Talavar
Smexi Chex Mix
I prefer his animated movies to his live action stuff any day. The Nightmare Before Christmas is my favourite Burton, hands down.

It's not a Burton film. It's a Selick film. Burton was just the producer. Over two years he only visited the set four times. He was busy making Batman Returns during almost the entire production. Selick was there every day, working with the puppets and working with Danny Elfman, working with everybody.

It's Selick's film.

As for Burton's animated movies, which one is your favorite? Meaning one he actually made himself, thus can be counted as a Burton movie.

The movie is his story, hence, it kinda counts as his movie just like the Harry Potter movies count as a work of J.K. Rowling. Her idea.

But they're not her movies. She didn't make THE MOVIES themselves. She wrote the books they are based on, but she did not make the movies.

Tim Burton did not make The Nightmare Before Christmas. It was based off a really short poem he wrote, sure. If we're going to give credit that way, then Tim Burton only has two movies, being Edward Scissorhands and Frankenweenie, and even Frankenweenie is largely based on and inspired by classic horror films. Literally every other movie of his was someone else's idea, someone else's characters, or based on someone or something else.

But credit doesn't work that way, because we generally understand that those are Burton's films anyway. Because he made those films. He may not have invented Batman, but he made Batman and Batman Returns. He didn't come up with Sweeney Todd as a character, or even the musical based on the old novel, but he made the most recent and most well-known film version of the character and his story. And no, he did not come up with Beetlejuice or Big Fish. Beetlejuice was someone else's idea and was given to him before he got the chance to make Batman, and Big Fish is based on a novel. Ed Wood was based on the life story of a real person, and the idea to write the script and make the film wasn't his either.

Simple fact is, Tim Burton did not make The Nightmare Before Christmas. Therefore, it is not his film.

Dapper Darling

10,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Captain Talavar
Smexi Chex Mix
Captain Talavar
Smexi Chex Mix

It's Selick's film.

But they're not her movies. She didn't make THE MOVIES themselves. She wrote the books they are based on, but she did not make the movies.

Tim Burton did not make The Nightmare Before Christmas. It was based off a really short poem he wrote, sure. If we're going to give credit that way, then Tim Burton only has two movies, being Edward Scissorhands and Frankenweenie, and even Frankenweenie is largely based on and inspired by classic horror films. Literally every other movie of his was someone else's idea, someone else's characters, or based on someone or something else.

But credit doesn't work that way, because we generally understand that those are Burton's films anyway. Because he made those films. He may not have invented Batman, but he made Batman and Batman Returns. He didn't come up with Sweeney Todd as a character, or even the musical based on the old novel, but he made the most recent and most well-known film version of the character and his story. And no, he did not come up with Beetlejuice or Big Fish. Beetlejuice was someone else's idea and was given to him before he got the chance to make Batman, and Big Fish is based on a novel. Ed Wood was based on the life story of a real person, and the idea to write the script and make the film wasn't his either.

Simple fact is, Tim Burton did not make The Nightmare Before Christmas. Therefore, it is not his film.

Well, if you're gonna get all technical about it, then I only like movies that were his ideas, not what he directed. Nightmare is considered a Burton, regardless if he didn't direct it. It was his mind that came up with the premise, so it all depends on what you consider someone's own work. I'm sure he considers it a piece of his work. Calm down. smile
Smexi Chex Mix
Captain Talavar
Smexi Chex Mix
Captain Talavar
Smexi Chex Mix

It's Selick's film.

Well, if you're gonna get all technical about it, then I only like movies that were his ideas, not what he directed. Nightmare is considered a Burton, regardless if he didn't direct it. It was his mind that came up with the premise, so it all depends on what you consider someone's own work. I'm sure he considers it a piece of his work. Calm down. smile

Then that's still only three movies if you're willing to count Frankenweenie.

This isn't debatable. Tim Burton didn't make the film. It's not his film. End of story. This is a fact, not an opinion.

Dapper Darling

10,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Captain Talavar
Smexi Chex Mix
Captain Talavar
Smexi Chex Mix
Captain Talavar
Smexi Chex Mix

It's Selick's film.

This isn't debatable. Tim Burton didn't make the film. It's not his film. End of story. This is a fact, not an opinion.

So I guess my copy of the movie that says "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas" must be a misprint.

You should really be a little more polite, and not act like you're a superior being because you have a different view.

You're also forgetting Corpse Bride.

I'm done talking to you, because obviously, I'm wrong, so there's no point in continuing the argument. Please don't bother replying because I will not answer. smile
Smexi Chex Mix
Captain Talavar
Smexi Chex Mix
Captain Talavar
Smexi Chex Mix

So I guess my copy of the movie that says "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas" must be a misprint.

You should really be a little more polite, and not act like you're a superior being because you have a different view.

I'm done talking to you, because obviously, I'm wrong, so there's no point in continuing the argument. Please don't bother replying because I will not answer. smile

It says "Tim Burton's" on top because Disney had no faith in it when it came out, and they thought that putting his name above the title would make it sell more. It didn't. And it's really no different from any of those horror films with a "Wes Craven presents" or "Quentin Tarantino presents" banners on them.

Corpse Bride is based on Jewish folklore. It was not his idea.

And yes, you are wrong. It doesn't make me a superior being. Maybe you rescue puppies and feed starving children all day long. Maybe you drown kittens and hurt the feelings of elderly strangers. I have no idea who you are as an individual.

But you are wrong about this. It's not my view, it's a fact. It is not Burton's film.
ijustdontcareXD

...practically ignore his original ideas. In my personal opinion, his original work is his best work. I mean, when I ask someone what their favorite Burton film is they often say Alice in Wonderland or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and sometimes they'll even throw in Sweeney Todd or even Planet of the Apes. Of all his movies, these are also the ones that seem to make the most money. Well, apparently Frankenweenie has had a weak opening so far despite the overwhelming positive reviews by top critics. I personally loved the original short, and I'm sure I'll love this one too. I just can't understand why people aren't more attracted to this than his remakes.

Ideas?

User Image

Because, he's Tim ******** Burton evil
Captain Talavar
Smexi Chex Mix
Captain Talavar
Smexi Chex Mix
Captain Talavar
Smexi Chex Mix

It says "Tim Burton's" on top because Disney had no faith in it when it came out, and they thought that putting his name above the title would make it sell more. It didn't. And it's really no different from any of those horror films with a "Wes Craven presents" or "Quentin Tarantino presents" banners on them.

And yes, you are wrong. It doesn't make me a superior being. Maybe you rescue puppies and feed starving children all day long. Maybe you drown kittens and hurt the feelings of elderly strangers. I have no idea who you are as an individual.

But you are wrong about this. It's not my view, it's a fact. It is not Burton's film.
So let me ask this, If you take something that may not be your own idea, but change it to your image, and spin some of the story and make a movie out of it, and get millions behind this new and improved flick, is it then not your own? I mean..its like red riding hood. Every one knows that story, if you take that story and revamp it, with a few twist here and there, possibly a new plot, and make the characters in your dark or light image, and make a movie out of it....
Dark Warrior Naru
Captain Talavar
Smexi Chex Mix
Captain Talavar
Smexi Chex Mix

So let me ask this, If you take something that may not be your own idea, but change it to your image, and spin some of the story and make a movie out of it, and get millions behind this new and improved flick, is it then not your own? I mean..its like red riding hood. Every one knows that story, if you take that story and revamp it, with a few twist here and there, possibly a new plot, and make the characters in your dark or light image, and make a movie out of it....
Does it not then become your VERSION of the movie/story.

My opinion - if you take something and change more than 50% of the story, or the way it looks,..its your version from the original. Same the old sherlock holmes and the new. The old Sherlock may be great to some but to me its boring as ********, and just old, the new is just awesome despite his cockyness.
Dark Warrior Naru

Exactly. Henry Selick took Tim Burton's idea and made a fantastic little movie out of it. Therefore, The Nightmare Before Christmas is Henry Selick's movie. Not Tim Burton's.

Warlord

people say alice in wonderland and other burton remakes are their favourite for the same reason terrible movies like madagascar are successful time and time again (not trying to imply tim burton's remakes are terrible, just covering my a** if it came across the wrong way because i don't think that at all)
people like remakes, people like stories they know, even if someone watches the trailer and thinks 'eh I dunno it doesn't look that good' chances are they'll check it out anyway because they love the story
Captain Talavar
Dark Warrior Naru

Exactly. Henry Selick took Tim Burton's idea and made a fantastic little movie out of it. Therefore, The Nightmare Before Christmas is Henry Selick's movie. Not Tim Burton's.
Well then, it must be that Tim Burton is more famous, his name sake. Or behind the scenes, he may have had more input in it than what people know. Cause other than that, its ridculous..

I have seen behind the scenes in alot of T.B films, he does actually put alot of effort into what he wants and even draws weird a** s**t of what characters should look, feel, and act like. I think its because of this,..its able to stay as HIS film or remake. He just puts the people to work in "HIS" direction.

aka - do what i say b***h in a very nice way pirate
User Image
User Image

I hate his remakes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items