Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Drunken Jester
The Bijoux
The Drunken Jester
The Bijoux
The Drunken Jester

I'll let a Bram Stoker fan battle that one out. Since I don't think I watched that movie and I don't care about Dracula or Vampires.

But I'm not going to change my opinion on this. Like I said before. Sure, It's Henry Selick's movie. But it's still a Tim Burton creation.

But he didn't direct it. He wrote the origina; poem. How often do you source the writer of a novel for the creation of a movie?

That's like saying that Chris Columbus owns Harry Potter because he directed some of the Harry Potter movies.

Who said anything about owning? I'm talking about the creator and end product. JK Rowling did not direct the movie, and while the original story was hers, the movie was created by Chris Columbus. Without his direction you would have gotten something very different.

Well, I'm not saying that the movie is Tim Burton's. I'm saying the creation is.
He spent 9 years working on that idea. 9 years from the writing of the original poem to the production of the film.... well, 7 technically.
I don't take offense at saying the film itself isn't Tim Burton's. I take offense at saying that it's not his creation. He did a LOT of work on it before Henry Selick came into the picture.

Therefore I think it counts in the list of Tim Burton movies. And is my favorite that he ever had a hand in.

I don't argue that it was his original idea, but you cannot source him as the creator of the film in any way. He worked on the original for a long time. The POEM. But once it was being made into a film it became a Henry Selick creation. Tim Burton is not the director or creator of the FILM. The poem is NOT the film. The MOVIE is Henry Selick's creation. It is in the list of Henry Selick's movies. Sucks that it's your favorite since Tim Burton didn't make the movie. Choose a favorite that he created.

Tipsy Lunatic

The Bijoux
The Drunken Jester

Well, I'm not saying that the movie is Tim Burton's. I'm saying the creation is.
He spent 9 years working on that idea. 9 years from the writing of the original poem to the production of the film.... well, 7 technically.
I don't take offense at saying the film itself isn't Tim Burton's. I take offense at saying that it's not his creation. He did a LOT of work on it before Henry Selick came into the picture.

Therefore I think it counts in the list of Tim Burton movies. And is my favorite that he ever had a hand in.

I don't argue that it was his original idea, but you cannot source him as the creator of the film in any way. He is not the director or creator of the FILM. The poem is NOT the film. The MOVIE is Henry Selick's creation.

He was one of the script writers on it as well.
You seem to think that the director is the only person who counts when it comes down to it. Which just isn't my view on the matter.
Feel free to let this drop at any time. Because I'm still not going to change my mind.

Like I said to Talavar. If it bugs you so much then feel free to take my answer as Edward Scissorhands.

Also, your initial list is wrong. Corpse Bride wasn't Tim Burton's original idea either. It was based off for some European folk tale he heard.
The Drunken Jester
The Bijoux
The Drunken Jester

I don't argue that it was his original idea, but you cannot source him as the creator of the film in any way. He is not the director or creator of the FILM. The poem is NOT the film. The MOVIE is Henry Selick's creation.

You seem to think that the director is the only person who counts when it comes down to it. Which just isn't my view on the matter.
Feel free to let this drop at any time. Because I'm still not going to change my mind.

Like I said to Talavar. If it bugs you so much then feel free to take my answer as Edward Scissorhands.

Also, your initial list is wrong. Corpse Bride wasn't Tim Burton's original idea either. It was based off for some European folk tale he heard.

I fixed my earlier post so now it reads...

I don't argue that it was his original idea, but you cannot source him as the creator of the film in any way. He worked on the original for a long time. The POEM. But once it was being made into a film it became a Henry Selick creation. Tim Burton is not the director or creator of the FILM. The poem is NOT the film. The MOVIE is Henry Selick's creation. It is in the list of Henry Selick's movies.

I don't say that it is only the director who is the one behind a film, but everything was his decision. He was the deciding factor in every scene and decided who else was behind the film. He is the CREATOR of the film.

If you want to list all of the movies Tim Burton has produced as his movies, go for it.

Also Corpse Bride was all of his original characters and story so it is one of his original movies, but ah well, if you say so. I didn't know about the old folk tale. It wasn't sourced on imdb.

All of his remakes are his movies because he directed them. At least I don't say Charlie and the Chocolate factory was a Roald Dahl film.

Tipsy Lunatic

The Bijoux
The Drunken Jester
The Bijoux
The Drunken Jester

I don't argue that it was his original idea, but you cannot source him as the creator of the film in any way. He worked on the original for a long time. The POEM. But once it was being made into a film it became a Henry Selick creation. Tim Burton is not the director or creator of the FILM. The poem is NOT the film. The MOVIE is Henry Selick's creation. It is in the list of Henry Selick's movies.

I don't say that it is only the director who is the one behind a film, but everything was his decision. He was the deciding factor in every scene and decided who else was behind the film. He is the CREATOR of the film.

If you want to list all of the movies Tim Burton has produced as his movies, go for it.

Also Corpse Bride was all of his original characters and story so it is one of his original movies, but ah well, if you say so. I didn't know about the old folk tale. It wasn't sourced on imdb.

All of his remakes are his movies because he directed them. At least I don't say Charlie and the Chocolate factory was a Roald Dahl film.

This bugs you way more than it bugs me.
So you win.
My new favorite Tim Burton movie is Edward Scissorhands.
The Drunken Jester
The Bijoux
The Drunken Jester
The Bijoux
The Drunken Jester

This bugs you way more than it bugs me.
So you win.
My new favorite Tim Burton movie is Edward Scissorhands.

Ignorance pisses me off and thank you. smile

Noble Inquisitor

in my opinion, id rather watch one of his originals- his remakes are usually the disappointing ones in my opinion. Big name but weak, predictable deliver since it IS a remake.
But johnny depp is in most of his remakes, and even does some voice acting bc theyre bffs irl.
i will say that i actually enjoyed his Dark Shadows Remake- i LOVE michelle pheifer.
i wanted to see his new flick, frankenweenie bc i like his little animated films, i just havent had the time

Obsessive Kitten

Considering Hollywood in general is saturating itself with remakes and sequels it's no surprise Burton would try and put his spin on concepts already out there. For years I've been wishing he'd do a stop-motion animation of Leroux's "Phantom of the Opera" (the book not the musical) simply because I think his style could do it justice. But yes it does garner him the wrong sort of fame.

A lot of artists (I use the term broadly) have the same problem. If you draw fan art, it's instantly more liked than any original art. If you do your own rendition of a song it's going to get more attention, good or bad, than your original songs (good example would be Whitney Houston singing "I Will Always Love You" which was originally sung by Dolly Parton from the musical The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas), and so on. Recycled ideas are that comfy old blanket that yeah it's smelly but it's familiar; we know what to expect.

Personally I always liked Beetlejuice and James and the Giant Peach, even if he didn't direct that one.

Punching Bag

Bleeding Art
James and the Giant Peach, even if he didn't direct that one.
Watch out. People will jump you for that one. lol

Obsessive Kitten

Corpsejack Menace
Bleeding Art

Oh let 'em. I could care less about semantics. If I wanted to play the "well technically" game I'd hit up Extended Discussion.

Newbie Gaian

I'd have to say my favorite Tim Burton films would definitely be Edward Scissorhands and Nightmare Before Chistmas. I have yet to see Dark Shadows. I want to. I have the movie. I got it for Christmas this past year, but it's on Blu-Ray and I don't know how to work my mom's system. :-/
Bleeding Art
Corpsejack Menace
Bleeding Art

Oh let 'em. I could care less about semantics. If I wanted to play the "well technically" game I'd hit up Extended Discussion.

Seriously though, he had nothing to do with that movie other then producing it. He didn't write it at all...

Obsessive Kitten

The Bijoux
Bleeding Art
Corpsejack Menace
Bleeding Art

Seriously though, he had nothing to do with that movie other then producing it. He didn't write it at all...

What part of "I don't care" doesn't process? I don't. I realize he wasn't the major factor, the eminent soul, or anything of notable importance to most people in the film industry. Fact of the matter is I enjoy the film. If George Bush had done it, I still would sit here and say I liked it. I don't like the film for Burton's name, I'm not one of his creepy flunkies, I like it for what it is.
Bleeding Art
The Bijoux
Bleeding Art
Corpsejack Menace
Bleeding Art

What part of "I don't care" doesn't process? I don't. I realize he wasn't the major factor, the eminent soul, or anything of notable importance to most people in the film industry. Fact of the matter is I enjoy the film. If George Bush had done it, I still would sit here and say I liked it. I don't like the film for Burton's name, I'm not one of his creepy flunkies, I like it for what it is.

I wasn't saying anything bad about the film. The issue is that it is not a Tim Burton film. He put forth some money to co-produce it, but other then that had no involvement. It is a Henry Selick film.

Obsessive Kitten

The Bijoux
Bleeding Art
The Bijoux
Bleeding Art
Corpsejack Menace
Bleeding Art

I wasn't saying anything bad about the film. The issue is that it is not a Tim Burton film. He put forth some money to co-produce it, but other then that had no involvement. It is a Henry Selick film.

And I'm very well aware of that as I stated in my original post. I know he didn't direct it and I'm not here to get into the fine details of who did what in which film. I stated I liked them and that's as far as I'm willing to go on the subject. Long story short I like the movie and he was involved in it and being as this is a thread about Tim Burton I'll mention it. If we were talking Selick films I'd name it too. It's an acknowledgment, not an instant "Burton gets all the credit" thing.

Precious Sweetheart

9,100 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Generous 100
User Image
User Image

emotion_bigheart I didn't flock to his remake of Charlie, but especially not Alice. neutral He ******** ruined my favorite story because he needed to make some contrite s**t.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff