Welcome to Gaia! ::

...practically ignore his original ideas. In my personal opinion, his original work is his best work. I mean, when I ask someone what their favorite Burton film is they often say Alice in Wonderland or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and sometimes they'll even throw in Sweeney Todd or even Planet of the Apes. Of all his movies, these are also the ones that seem to make the most money. Well, apparently Frankenweenie has had a weak opening so far despite the overwhelming positive reviews by top critics. I personally loved the original short, and I'm sure I'll love this one too. I just can't understand why people aren't more attracted to this than his remakes.

Ideas?

User Image
I wouldn't count it out yet. It's only Saturday.

Funny you didn't mention Dark Shadows though. It's sort of a remake, really an adaptation of a TV show, and it underperformed domestically. Of course, combine domestic and foreign box office, and it didn't do too bad. If it sells well on DVD and Blu-Ray, we could get a sequel after all if Tim is interested in it.
Captain Talavar

Funny you didn't mention Dark Shadows though. It's sort of a remake, really an adaptation of a TV show, and it underperformed domestically. Of course, combine domestic and foreign box office, and it didn't do too bad. If it sells well on DVD and Blu-Ray, we could get a sequel after all if Tim is interested in it.

Ah, yes. I did forget Dark Shadows. I, unfortunately, have not seen it yet, but I'm hoping to see it pretty soon now that it's out on Blu-ray/DVD. I saw the trailer a while back and I thought it looked as if it had Burton's classic quirky charm.

User Image
ijustdontcareXD
Captain Talavar

Ah, yes. I did forget Dark Shadows. I, unfortunately, have not seen it yet, but I'm hoping to see it pretty soon now that it's out on Blu-ray/DVD. I saw the trailer a while back and I thought it looked as if it had Burton's classic quirky charm.

User Image

There are shades of Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands in there. There's a very dysfunctional family, and like Scissorhands there's that aspect of culture shock, though Barnabas is no pushover like Edward. There's a few character development problems and the pacing is a little strange, but thank Warner Brothers for that, who were doubtlessly shocked by the strange soap opera tone he was going for and insisted it be shorter so they could make it seem like a straight comedy as opposed to the weird gothic horror/family drama with some comedic overtones that it really is. Heck, part of me wonders if a lot of the 70s music they used in the film was insisted by Warner Brothers. After all, they're the ones who put Prince in Burton's Batman. That wasn't his idea, and he protested it. Likewise, I'm thinking he may have intended a longer, smoother cut and the studio fought him on it.
Captain Talavar

It really doesn't suprise me that a big film company like WB would push such changes. rolleyes I'm glad to hear that he put a few Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands hints in there, though.

User Image

Swashbuckling Pirate

7,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
ijustdontcareXD
Captain Talavar

It really doesn't suprise me that a big film company like WB would push such changes. rolleyes I'm glad to hear that he put a few Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands hints in there, though.

User Image

Jack Skellington's face is on the scarecrow in Dark Shadows. You can see it on the part where Barnabas meets Willie (the drunk guy) in the pumpkin patch. Oh and the Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my favorites.

Valiant Jackling

personally, I think Frankenweenie looks like crap. The trailers completely turned me off of that movie and I'm not going to spend $10-15 on theater tickets (more if you count the gas needed to drive 25 miles to get to the theater) in hopes that the movie is actually better than it looked.

People know Alice in Wonderland and Planet of the Apes, they're familiar with the story and the world and go because they liked what was done before. Haven't you ever noticed how sequels almost always make more money than the first, even if it's worse than the first? Though I realize those films I mentioned are remakes, not sequels, but it's still the same basic concept.
Erailea
personally, I think Frankenweenie looks like crap. The trailers completely turned me off of that movie and I'm not going to spend $10-15 on theater tickets (more if you count the gas needed to drive 25 miles to get to the theater) in hopes that the movie is actually better than it looked.

Frankenweenie was excellent. With high ticket prices and movie theater that's not as close as you'd like it, I can't say you'll regret not seeing it, but when/if you do eventually see it, something tells me you'll have a different opinion of it.

Out of curiosity, what did you find wrong with it?
This is my personal opinion, but i didnt really find frankenweenie appealing at all. The trailers depicted it to be a very old looking movie and the artstyle definitely isn't for everyone
And his remakes have been very "main stream" and also appealing to a very broad audience given its source material.
The style and trailers did not appeal to me at all, and maybe a lot of people felt the same wat.

and yes, i do love tim burton, i even have his art book wink .
The Frankenweenie trailer didn't hint at any kind of conflict. It showed a kid resurrecting his dog, but it didn't show anything going wrong. I'm sure the movie was about something, but without giving me any idea what it is, I'm probably not going to pay to see it. The unsubstantial promotions are just evidence that some people will pay for anything Burton.

Magical Trickster

19,950 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Survivor 150

+.♦.+ Diamond Dust +.♦.+

At first when I saw the Frankenweenie, I knew that they would had the same story as the old one.

But when I saw the commercials this week, I took a double take about how they added a Monster Turtle and a vampire cat. gonk

-~--~-

Invisible Lunatic

17,900 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
For some odd reason, I don't much care for his Claymations.... I don't know why, I just have never really liked them all that much.. I've just always preferred his live-actions better. confused

Friendly Lover

7,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Don't know might just be what they like or know by him. He's done alot of movies.

I know that my all time favorite of his is Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach. 4laugh heart
norakun91
Don't know might just be what they like or know by him. He's done alot of movies.

I know that my all time favorite of his is Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach. 4laugh heart

Neither of those are Tim Burton movies. Burton produced them, and his fingerprint is there on The Nightmare Before Christmas in a visual sense, but both are Henry Selick films. 3nodding
[Shewolf]

+.♦.+ Diamond Dust +.♦.+

At first when I saw the Frankenweenie, I knew that they would had the same story as the old one.

But when I saw the commercials this week, I took a double take about how they added a Monster Turtle and a vampire cat. gonk

-~--~-

Victor's not the only one who ends up with some "monster pets" so to speak. There's something chaotic and supernatural about the lightning that revives dead pets, and each time it does something different. There's a science fair coming up and all the kids are jealous when they learn that Victor brought Sparky back to life, so they want their own.

As for conflict, it's basically about people fearing what they don't understand, and accepting misfits. There's an eccentric new science teacher that all the kids really like, and with the science fair coming up, the kids become preoccupied with their science projects and experiments. One kid gets hurt and the town erupts in controversy, taking an anti-science stance for the usual "save the children" BS you see in real life. This only escalates when Victor brings Sparky back and all the other monster pets go on a rampage throughout the town.

Seriously, this is one of Burton's best films in a long time. I'm shocked that everyone is so bleh about it. I've found Burton hit-or-miss myself, but this is a seriously good film, and much better than the last two monster-themed kids movies. ParaNorman was good, and Hotel Transylvania was alright if a little too childish, but this film beats them all.

I'm a huge monster movie fan, and it's largely what I talk about more than anything else. This film is highly recommended. Don't be so jaded and cynical. Yeah, it's Burton, but this is Burton at his best.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff