Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kindly Vampire

7,650 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
I am a huge horror geek. I prefer supernatural and possession type horror, but I also have a bit of a gore-hound in me.

I would like to have a civilized conversation on the topic of scary movies. I don't mind some nerd-rage as long as it is in good fun and taken well. Just because someone doesn't like the moves you like doesn't meant they don't like you personally.

So, whats your favorite scary movie?

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Right now, I'd have to say The Conjuring. I know the story it's based on was bullshit, but it was a really well made, legitimately scary movie. I loved the acting, but I really loved the retro camera work. The framing, cinematography, and the staging of the long takes were outstanding.

Kindly Vampire

7,650 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
The Fullmetal Narcissist
Right now, I'd have to say The Conjuring. I know the story it's based on was bullshit, but it was a really well made, legitimately scary movie. I loved the acting, but I really loved the retro camera work. The framing, cinematography, and the staging of the long takes were outstanding.

The Conjuring wasn't bad. I guess. But it certainly wasnt the non-stop thrill ride everyone thought I wanted. I thought the scares were cheap and the mother was irresponsible. Also Ethan Hawk. Always boring. I am not sure how he didn't manage to kill Sinister with his eternal card board impression. But you are right the camera work was really very well done. The framing was always superb.

Ill admit I may have a thing against it because I hate the Lorrens. Also the whole thing with Annabelle is bull. It was just an excuse to put a creepy doll in the movie. Also, ANNABELLE WAS IS A RAGGEDY ANNE DOLL. Anyone that's heard of parapsychology knows that.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Twisted_Shimmer
The Fullmetal Narcissist

The Conjuring wasn't bad. I guess. But it certainly wasnt the non-stop thrill ride everyone thought I wanted. I thought the scares were cheap and the mother was irresponsible. Also Ethan Hawk. Always boring. I am not sure how he didn't manage to kill Sinister with his eternal card board impression. But you are right the camera work was really very well done. The framing was always superb.

Ill admit I may have a thing against it because I hate the Lorrens. Also the whole thing with Annabelle is bull. It was just an excuse to put a creepy doll in the movie. Also, ANNABELLE WAS IS A RAGGEDY ANNE DOLL. Anyone that's heard of parapsychology knows that.

At least we can agree on the fact that the Warrens are awful people. biggrin

Raider

Hmm... I watched a movie on youtube and it was one of those "found footage" movies, but y'know, good. It's called "Home Movie" and I really liked it.
Another one I've liked for years is Hide and Seek.User Image

Kindly Vampire

7,650 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
Wasteland Survival Guide
Hmm... I watched a movie on youtube and it was one of those "found footage" movies, but y'know, good. It's called "Home Movie" and I really liked it.

Well Ed Warren wasnt awful. He was really just trying to further the studies of parapsychology, and I respect that. But he did give into a lot of bullshit, especially the spewings from his so-called psychic wife. Im sorry but a picture with lens flare does not mean a demonic presence, ya jack a**.

I like found footage films, when they are done right. Like the FIRST Paranormal Activity. I have heard about "Home Movie", But cant remember why I wasn't interested, and also to busy watching Marble Hornets... I have heard good and bad things about hide and seek, but have not yet seen it.

Raider

Twisted_Shimmer
Well Ed Warren wasnt awful. He was really just trying to further the studies of parapsychology, and I respect that. But he did give into a lot of bullshit, especially the spewings from his so-called psychic wife. Im sorry but a picture with lens flare does not mean a demonic presence, ya jack a**.

I like found footage films, when they are done right. Like the FIRST Paranormal Activity. I have heard about "Home Movie", But cant remember why I wasn't interested, and also to busy watching Marble Hornets... I have heard good and bad things about hide and seek, but have not yet seen it.

I hated The Conjuring hahahaha

Anyway, Home Movie is about a couple learning their twin children are fairly ******** up. I loved it. Wasn't a fan of any Paranormal Activity movies personally.

Marble Hornets I followed since I think episode 18, and it began to lose me after awhile.

Hide and Seek is about a man and his young daughter whom go to live in rural New York after the death of his wife, and the girl gets an imaginary friend. Really good, I enjoyed it a lot.User Image

Kindly Vampire

7,650 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
OH YEAH. I remember hearing about "Home Movie" and I did want to watch it. I just don't remember why I didn't... Huh.

Anyway, I like the first Paranormal Activity. I thought it was VERY well done. (outside of the freaking lines. That... that just hurts.) But the effects were really good and never really seeing the things is the mark of a good movie monster. It was all quite impressive until every. freaking. ghost movie. did it. I keep watching them, its like the Highlander Series. It will never be as good as it was the first time but like an abused dog I keep coming back and watching them hoping MAYBE it will get better.

Though I have to admit watching a thug blow a violently unrealistic witch halfway across the screen with a double-barrel was almost worth the ticket price. Almost
the movies that come to mind are:

insidious
dark skies
conjuring
v/h/s

Kindly Vampire

7,650 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
MummyRuby
the movies that come to mind are:

insidious
dark skies
conjuring
v/h/s

Insidious was good, until the seance scene. Then it became a very different film, and not necessarily a good one. I love the style they used for the ghosts though, the smile and colors are very original and interesting, not to mention very creepy.

I had a friend tell me about v/h/s, he said it was fantastic. But to me it just sounded like a snuff film. How would you describe it? Why did you like it?
I'm here to get on the V/H/S train, pretty good horror movie.

As far as other movies:
Shiver [Really good, but you have to be alright with subs]
You're Next [Was corny at first, but turned surprisingly good]
The Ward
Grave Encounters

Also has anyone seen the Haunt? Was thinking of doing it tonight

Kindly Vampire

7,650 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
shadowkingofgames
I'm here to get on the V/H/S train, pretty good horror movie.

As far as other movies:
Shiver [Really good, but you have to be alright with subs]
You're Next [Was corny at first, but turned surprisingly good]
The Ward
Grave Encounters

Also has anyone seen the Haunt? Was thinking of doing it tonight

I am actually surprised, delightfully so, Not often do I meet someone that has seen horror flicks I haven't. Go you. Shiver? J-horror or?

High-functioning Hellraiser

14,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Invisibility 100
Showgirls. Absolutely frightening...

rofl

But in all seriousness, my favorite type of scary movie is your good ol' fashioned bone-deep thriller. Any movie can have blood and gore and fake tits bouncing around, but unless it can resonate enough to scare the s**t out of you, most scary movies, at least to me, are nothing but cinematic junk food. You love it, but it's not good for you.

Say what you will, but Book of Shadows scared the crap out of me when I first saw it. And yes, I paid good hard cash to see it in theaters. It was more the concept that everything that had happened to them, everything they thought happened to them, everything they filmed, wasn't real, that it was all a lie, and at the same time, the absolute truth. If that isn't an allegory for the reality of Hollywood versus the fantasy of it, and the all-consuming quest for fame, I don't know what is.

As of right now, Sinister is the scary movie I will never watch again. I still, to this day, sleep with my bathroom light on. And I'm almost thirty. That movie ******** me up. I will never look at a lawnmower the same way again.

For your more slasher type flicks, both versions of I Spit On Your Grave gave me the chills. In the original, when she castrates that dude in the bathtub... I was horrified, yet I couldn't look away because goddamn if he didn't deserve it.
Spanish! [Spain]

It's super good. Like it just has the way of making you feel like something terrifying is happening without the use of jump scares

Newbie Noob

Wasteland Survival Guide

Is Home movie the one where the children were
acting all weird and ended up killing their parents?

I remember watching something like that (But i completely forgot the name)

User Image

I give back my donating gold & items to others.

Thank you to those who donated to me
so i can donate to others

x iceeu2 x : 7OO.OOO.OOO

Items i've bought for/gold i've donated
(updated on my profile
every person)

pinkpanda0: gaia_gaiagold 1OO.OOO.OOO

mollymich: User Image

professorhans: User Image

Rouge Angel1991: User Image

Rhonda132: User Image

Picahuu: User Image