Welcome to Gaia! ::

4,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Full closet 200
I been thinking when i was watching DBZ and Playing DBZ buduki tenkiechi 3, did Sonic the hedgehod take there ideas from DBZ, or did DBZ take there ideas from sonic? I meen look at it, 7 Chaos Emeralds, 7 Dragon balls, Super Sonic (his hair is blonde), super saiyan (ALSO BLONDE), Sonic and shadow were the same animal (well shadow was a creation of Eggmans grandfather, but hes still a hedgehog) became enemys,then became rivals, then SOMEWHAT friends, then Goku and vegita were enemys, then rivals , then SOMEWHAT friends. im just wondering here...

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
The ideas are not mutually exclusive. It's not "What came first? Sonic or DBZ?"

Dragon Ball Z came out in 1989, as a continuation of Dragon Ball which started in '84. Initially, it carried no mention of Super Saiyans. Hell, Goku started off as a character based on a monkey king.

Meanwhile, Sonic the Hedgehog's first game was released in 1991, also with no sign of a super-form, or the Chaos Emeralds.

So what you really need to ask is, "What series started the concept?"

As for the Shadow/Vegeta part, I think you're reading too far into things.

Dangerous Noob

11,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Marathon 300
I was thinking the exact thing about how much Sonic is like Dragonball Z. I mean besides Sonic/ Shadow and Goku/ Vegeta or 7 Chaos Emeralds/ 7 Dragonballs there's also Silver and Trunks who come from the future to save the past and the sidekick (Tails and Krillin) who is always there for there friends but seem to always get hurt for it and many other reasons. No one seems to agree with how much Sonic is like DBZ.

Wheezing Gawker

Absolutely a thread worth reviving.

Interesting Conversationalist

10,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Contributor 150
The only real way to prove which came first is to find the first Sonic game with Super Sonic and compare dates to the first Super Saiyan appearance.

4,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Full closet 200
The Deadly Game
I was thinking the exact thing about how much Sonic is like Dragonball Z. I mean besides Sonic/ Shadow and Goku/ Vegeta or 7 Chaos Emeralds/ 7 Dragonballs there's also Silver and Trunks who come from the future to save the past and the sidekick (Tails and Krillin) who is always there for there friends but seem to always get hurt for it and many other reasons. No one seems to agree with how much Sonic is like DBZ.

That is true, sonic and DBZ are almost the same all around, there's also the fact that sonic has his crazy girlfriend Amy, and Goku has his crazy wife Chi-Chi. The sudden friendship with goku and picclo (forgot how to spell it) is unknown in sonic, unless you count soinic and knuckles.
I stopped caring about Sonic when the point of every game was to introduce pointless new characters and never develop them. As for DBZ, I stopped caring about that...I can't remember how long ago.

Dangerous Noob

11,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Marathon 300
Axinian
The Deadly Game

That is true, sonic and DBZ are almost the same all around, there's also the fact that sonic has his crazy girlfriend Amy, and Goku has his crazy wife Chi-Chi. The sudden friendship with goku and picclo (forgot how to spell it) is unknown in sonic, unless you count soinic and knuckles.

Yeah I forgot about Amy and Chi-Chi but with Knuckles and Piccolo they are the same in each series with being an enemy of Sonic and Goku at the start then becoming friends and with being a strong proud character who would also risk life and limb to do the right thing. (for Knuckles it isn't in-game it's in the cartoon/comic series Sonic X.)
Well to know the answer lets look at some dates. It is already well known that the Dragon Ball series as a whole was created long before Sonic was....still it took some time before the story ended up in Dragon Ball Z. So, Sonic the Hedgehog was originally released (looking at Japanese dates since these are originally Japanese created and it would be released there first) June 23, 1991. However, Super Sonic first appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 which was released November 21, 1992. Now, hopefully most people realize that there was a Dragon Ball manga before the anime which was originally released November 10, 1985. Goku, first turned into a Super Saiyan in Dragon Ball Z volume 11 which was released August 7, 1991. Surprisingly, there's only a year's difference.

Honestly, it could have just been coincidental; however, it isn't a secret that Dragon Ball Z influenced a lot of other creative works because it was highly popular.

Now, here's a bit of trivia: The manga was created before the anime. As already mentioned Volume 11 of DBZ was released August 7, 1991. The anime Dragon Ball began airing in 1986 with DBZ beginning on April 26, 1989. Goku transformed into a Super Saiyan episode 95 of DBZ which aired June 19, 1991.
i think sonic came out first but dat does not mean that they stole from each other it just means that they have similar ideas

Blessed Gaian

6,825 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Sonic was first introduced in 1991. (Can't believe it's Sonic's 20th Anniversary!)
Dragon Ball was first introduced in 1984 and Z was in 1989.

So in other words, Dragon Bal/Z came first.

Blessed Gaian

6,825 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Mrs. Athrun Zala
Well to know the answer lets look at some dates. It is already well known that the Dragon Ball series as a whole was created long before Sonic was....still it took some time before the story ended up in Dragon Ball Z. So, Sonic the Hedgehog was originally released (looking at Japanese dates since these are originally Japanese created and it would be released there first) June 23, 1991. However, Super Sonic first appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 which was released November 21, 1992. Now, hopefully most people realize that there was a Dragon Ball manga before the anime which was originally released November 10, 1985. Goku, first turned into a Super Saiyan in Dragon Ball Z volume 11 which was released August 7, 1991. Surprisingly, there's only a year's difference.

Honestly, it could have just been coincidental; however, it isn't a secret that Dragon Ball Z influenced a lot of other creative works because it was highly popular.

Now, here's a bit of trivia: The manga was created before the anime. As already mentioned Volume 11 of DBZ was released August 7, 1991. The anime Dragon Ball began airing in 1986 with DBZ beginning on April 26, 1989. Goku transformed into a Super Saiyan episode 95 of DBZ which aired June 19, 1991.

In that case, it looks like Sonic was probably inspired by DBZ.

Questionable Borg

I'm not really sure. But I do agree that you're probably reading to far into things.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff