Welcome to Gaia! ::

I don't know anyone who watches Sherlock so i thought I might ask what any of you guys think of it.
I am a Doctor Who fan so I am always seeing those "Wholock" threads and such..
So, what would you rate the show? anything you particularly enjoy about it? etc.

biggrin
I've never watched it, but people I know who watch doctor who always tell me that Sherlock is great

Tipsy Fatcat

9,300 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Millionaire 200
User Image
i personally really enjoy the series

i haven't seen the third season yet, but i definitely loved the way that the first two seasons made you think

like, you almost never see the twist coming and there's always something to think about while watching these crimes unfold

seeing things through sherlock's eyes and mindset is fascinating in and of itself and i really enjoy the cinematography

idk it's kind of brainy and it makes you think so if you like puzzling shows that are also enjoyable to watch i would say try it out!

each episode is an hour and a half long, however, so be prepared to set aside some time to watch this series lmao
User Image
It Is Awsome biggrin DDDDDDDDd

Dapper Genius

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I think Sherlock is great, especially if you are a fan of mystery type TV shows. The acting is really good, and I believe it is a better modern interpretation of the Sherlock books than Elementary, its American counterpart. (No offense to anyone, that is just my opinion)
smile

Super Cyclops

kamidrgn
I think Sherlock is great, especially if you are a fan of mystery type TV shows. The acting is really good, and I believe it is a better modern interpretation of the Sherlock books than Elementary, its American counterpart. (No offense to anyone, that is just my opinion)
smile

Agreed, but I like the Elementary bending the cliches. Sherlock being so hyperactive (and tatoo'd), as opposed to the cool and sophisticated standard, Watson (and not only Watson but that'd spoil, so hush wink ) being female (nevermind being Asian)... Definetly a creative approach.
Though I still think "Sherlock" is slightly more... cool. Maybe cos it's so British? wink

Fluffy Genius

7,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hero 100
  • Person of Interest 200

I actually prefer Elementary to Sherlock.
Sherlock season 1 was brilliant. Season 2 was still very good. Whoa, what a let down season 3 was. Unless you are a massive massive Johnlock shipper and enjoy picking up on all the little Johnlock stuff (which a lot of the fans do enjoy doing), there was not much good about the season. The third episode was fairly good, the ending was very interesting (not going to say much else), but the first two episodes you have to sit through, my God, such a let down after the first two seasons. They could have been worse, but they weren't even in the same league as the other seasons and that was just really disappointing to me.
You might feel very differently - a lot of people do.

In my opinion, Elementary is more consistent. They've changed things about the plot and the characters, and Watson in particular really shines in this show. The character doesn't exist to just prove how clever Sherlock is. Some people argue that they chose to make Watson female because they "didn't want a gay relationship between Sherlock and Watson!!", but I really think the decision was made to even out the genders in the cast.
Sherlock in Elementary is gifted, but other characters have a chance to be intelligent too. The plot doesn't solely revolve around Sherlock showing people how stupid the other characters are and constantly proving his superior intellect.
I really don't understand why the show isn't more popular.

HOWEVER, the cases in BBC Sherlock are consistently *far* better than those in Elementary, and BBC Sherlock's mind palace is awesome and the effects are top notch.

Yes, I would recommend watching Sherlock, but I personally prefer Elementary.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Like everything, it got popular, then it got bad.

Dangerous Hunter

5,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trader 100
I actually quite enjoyed Sherlock, Season 1 and 2. What I didn't enjoy was Season 3. I thought that first episode was a lot of fan service and it just felt a lot flatter than the first two seasons. It was missing something; that something that made it great. Which is a shame. I'm not sure truly, how I feel about Season 4.

Angelic Man-Lover

22,625 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Bookworm 100
koweja

Sherlock season 1 was brilliant. Season 2 was still very good. Whoa, what a let down season 3 was. Unless you are a massive massive Johnlock shipper and enjoy picking up on all the little Johnlock stuff (which a lot of the fans do enjoy doing), there was not much good about the season. The third episode was fairly good, the ending was very interesting (not going to say much else), but the first two episodes you have to sit through, my God, such a let down after the first two seasons. They could have been worse, but they weren't even in the same league as the other seasons and that was just really disappointing to me.

In my opinion, Elementary is more consistent. They've changed things about the plot and the characters, and Watson in particular really shines in this show. The character doesn't exist to just prove how clever Sherlock is. Some people argue that they chose to make Watson female because they "didn't want a gay relationship between Sherlock and Watson!!", but I really think the decision was made to even out the genders in the cast.
Sherlock in Elementary is gifted, but other characters have a chance to be intelligent too. The plot doesn't solely revolve around Sherlock showing people how stupid the other characters are and constantly proving his superior intellect.

HOWEVER, the cases in BBC Sherlock are consistently *far* better than those in Elementary, and BBC Sherlock's mind palace is awesome and the effects are top notch.

I'm not tryin' to be rude, just wanting to point out some facts. I'm not sure if you ever have bothered to read the Sherlock books, but they are literally from Watsons point of view. The books are literally evolved around the brilliance and life of Sherlock and how much John praises him, yadda yadda.
Johnlock has been a thing since the books came out.
So there is BBC Sherlock that is pretty close to the books and modern time, and then there is Elementary, which I have no idea what they are even doing because I found it dumb.

Fluffy Genius

7,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hero 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Crowryl
koweja

I'm not tryin' to be rude, just wanting to point out some facts. I'm not sure if you ever have bothered to read the Sherlock books, but they are literally from Watsons point of view. The books are literally evolved around the brilliance and life of Sherlock and how much John praises him, yadda yadda.
Johnlock has been a thing since the books came out.
So there is BBC Sherlock that is pretty close to the books and modern time, and then there is Elementary, which I have no idea what they are even doing because I found it dumb.

You don't sound rude at all c:
I am aware that the Sherlock books are indeed from Watson's point of view, and that they centre around brilliant Sherlock is - although I haven't read them all (and that was a few years ago). Even then I found it annoying that Watson's character seemed only to exist in order to question how Sherlock knew everything.
BBC Sherlock is closer to the books, and I do like that about it, as well as the cases are far better, like I said. However, I admire Elementary's efforts to change things about the original and I also prefer it not being centered around Sherlock.
It is more of a personal preference, and I definitely understand that some people like BBC Sherlock more, and I can understand their reasons for doing so.
I hope I didn't come across as sounding like I was completely disregarding BBC Sherlock or the books
I really enjoy Sherlock.

It's definitely a television show that you'll have to really sit down and pay attention to, not one that you can blare in the background and still hope to understand what's happening.

First time I watched it, I was mildly confused and had to watch it a second time to really grasp it and truly understand it.

I think the writing is brilliant and it's really worth a viewing.

I don't really enjoy Elementary. It's just too much of a general cop show drama that I've seen waaay too much of, but to each their own!
ive never watched it sooo idk :p
I've watched and enjoyed both to some degree. The recent season of Sherlock was a mixed-bag for me though.

Sadly, while I also like Elementary I've seen people disregard it because they just see it as the Americanization of Sherlock. Albeit, that it's true that Elementary came out a while after Sherlock, it's not a complete copy & paste job like the UK version and the US version of The Office were.

Sherlock and Elementary both do share similarities/differences, but I've yet to see a case in Sherlock about dentures. That might have been a 'liberty' by the people on the show, but I've seen plenty of cases on Elementary that didn't exactly pertain to what Sherlock has done. I can understand a difference in preference, but completely disregarding the entire show because they see it and just think it's exactly the same as Sherlock is what bothers me.

Tipsy Hero

I LOVE IT!!!!

That's all I have to say gonk

Edit: British or american version? Only seen the british and i'll probably not watch the other one blaugh

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff