Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Codger

Mistress Gambino

Thank you! I'm Irene Adler trololololol
Oh dear, I'm afraid I never watched the Sherlock Holmes movie... :'c I'm going to have to get around to doing that. Every time I remember, I'm thinking, "the moment I get on the computer, I'll download it..." and then I forget. It's a vicious cycle.

Scamp

SolrSurfr3
Aw, man! If I'd known about that thread, I'd have subscribed in a second. Those guys are my two new favorite actors after watching Sherlock. biggrin

I knoooooow! I tend to hate cliffhangers as a rule, but as far as cliffhangers go, that one was masterfully done. I mean, I thought ending off with John and Sherlock engaging in witty banter would've been a pretty decent way to close. But then Moriarty came BACK!! Normally I don't get surprised easily when it comes to TV shows, but I did NOT see that one coming. biggrin
Bah, one of these days I might remake it, but tbh I don't really want to since I'm already mucking this thread up with my big fat asexy crushes and it had rather been my intention to, as the thread's creator, be the level-headed one but lolnope sorry Benedict's cheekbones, Martin's being chiseled out of marshmallow, and all the blatant eyesex ruined any chance of that oh well Kitteh gets to be the mature respectful one now IT'S ALL UP YOU YOU, KITTEH.

It was totes sneaky, that cliffhanger, wun' it? What're the chances, y'think, of that being there primarily to ensure interest in a series 2? XD

@gifparty: I promise to contribute to this once I'm on the actual computer with all my quality gifs, so keep the party strong until tonight. >:'D

@Kitteh: WHAT! Well! You should do that before December, then. C:

Wheezing Codger

urp, I never said I was immune to B-b-benedict's...cheek...bones...and...his.....eyes.... /slumps onto the floor with dazed look in eyes and drool coming out of mouth

I shall, I shall c: I saw the trailer for the 2nd Sherlock Holmes movie and it looked good (:

Anxious Shapeshifter

'Bout time someone made one of these.

I like how the show's bringing more life into the fandom overall, but it's depressing to see fans that haven't read any of Doyle's original stories yet. (I'm not saying that all of the New!lock-ers are missing out on Doyle, just I've run into a few and it's downright wrong.) I've even run into one that said the novels were boring and the show was far better. :l Can't call yourself a Sherlockian if you haven't read the books. It's an earned title, not an assumed one. Overall, I'm not sure what to think about this new generation of us.

Wheezing Codger

I think I shall politely disagree.
I saw the same issue once with Doctor Who. It was that people who just watched New Who shouldn't be considered Whovians because they hadn't watched Old Who.
I don't think it matters what you've read or how many shows you've seen, I think one can properly be called a Sherlockian or a Whovian when they know what they love in the show/series they're watching/reading.

Then again, that's just my opinion. =]

Anxious Shapeshifter

But Conan-Doyle's work is the source material for everything else. It's like someone saying they've read Half-Blood Prince but didn't read Philosopher's Stone. There are call-backs and references they they're going to completely miss.
I've read all but the last SH novel. I have yet to read any of Doyle's work outside of Holmes. :/

Anxious Shapeshifter

I've read Holmes, most of his Professor Challenger stories, and a few of his later bits on spiritualism 'cause the library had them available. I really recommend the novels on Challenger. Lost World = <3

Hilarious Lunatic

I absolutely ADORE this thread.

I really cannot wait for series 2! HURRRRRYYYYYYYY UUUUUPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!
emotion_omnomnom

Hilarious Lunatic

Mistress Gambino
Lutheron

Well, if you consider January to be "soon..." ;P
Although I guess since we've been waiting a full year, January IS soon by comparison, oh dear. D;

Luther I need your opinion, I was considering linking to the Jumper Collection item grant or at least Reapersun's profile, but I'm just too fond of it being a little "mystery" for fans to solve. Should I link to it, though? D; IDK what to dooo

I went on her profile and I couldn't find any grant :c
Is it still there?
I really wanna know! I mean, I already bought it but still!

Scamp

Here have a gif to make up for my long, pointless, rambly post:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Okay I'm going to admit right now that I... am procrastinating on my reading. I'm going in publish order and am in the beginning of "The Adventure of the Golden Pince-nez" in The Return. I really need to get cracking if I want to get through Hound before series two, but damnit, I just don't want the ride to be over, okay? :c Because there's never going to BE any more and I'm really enjoying it and the longer I drag it out the longer the party continues, is how I see it. So I'm sorry, but I'm not at all one to preach about "you should read the source material" because... well. I haven't, entirely.
I mean, definitely do, reading is awesome, and so far it's GREATLY increased my enjoyment of the show and put a massive strain on my love of Ritchie's monster but it's hypocritical of me to say so. :ccc

Arizona, I... do have to disagree with your assessment that "Sherlockian" is an earned title, like a badge you get when you've read the source material. I do feel that there should be some distinction between your aptly called "New!lockians" and those of you who've been around for as long as it's possible to have been with the novels and stories, but I... Gnuh, idk brah. Definite respect for our Sherlockian seniors (I mean those with seniority, not old people, but it's cool that there ARE old people in the fandom because THAT'S ******** POSSIBLE and AW YEAH, but now I'm off track)
Anyway, it seems to me that it was written to be enjoyed by ALL, which it very much was, and those who have read the source material get just that much more enjoyment out of it. I feel like your Harry Potter analogy was a bit harsh in that regard, because the books were all written in a series, where this is... definitely not the same in a number of ways. It's an homage, is maybe the word? I don't know how do English work, don't mind me.

Also I'm going to suggest Kitteh download Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes BEFORE she goes on any literary adventures with our boys, because, well. I want her to be able to enjoy that and have her Adler fantasies fulfilled BEFORE, uh, yeah. If I speak any more on that subject it'll be in the sneakiest of whitetext so not very sneaky at all anymore. I kind of actually think I'm a little bit alone in feeling wronged by that movie now that I know the truth, um. /crazy

Also @Kitteh: I BET that was going on! My feelings on the Old Who and the Holmes stories and novels is that you don't NEED them to enjoy the new s**t; it'd be NICE to have them, and good on you if you do, you've got that much more to go on; but there's just SO MUCH. Four novels and 56 short stories, or however many ******** episodes of Old Who there were, a ********, that's how many. You just can't expect people to go back and watch/read all that as a prerequisite for "proper" fandom! That's just elitism, if you ask me, and I see it all the time with bands and everything. Don't be a fandom hipster. It's cool that you liked it before it was "cool" and I respect your dedication but that doesn't make everyone's love for this cool new thing any less legitimate. :c

That came out kind of rude sounding, I'm sorry. ;c

Anyway, YAY NEW PEOPLE! I was enjoying the tiny three person party but this is much nicer. I knew we couldn't be the only ones on this whole damn site! :''D

The Fun Ghoul
I went on her profile and I couldn't find any grant :c
Is it still there?
I really wanna know! I mean, I already bought it but still!
I just checked, it's still there. It's important to remember the importance of details. The things that really matter might seem the most mundane; for instance, the supposedly garish pattern of a wallpaper may, in fact, be a vital clue. c:

And now a gif for the laydehs (and those who swing for Benedict):
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Also for the laydehs and loving Benaddicts is the gif in my signature, which only one person has recognized so far, c'mon, those hands.

Anxious Shapeshifter

Ah, don't mind me. I'm just a really bitchy purist. And I was at work while writing that post (grey text = work computer = oh ********, bitchmode activate ) so it's easy to come off as harsh. I started off in 1997 with the books, Brett, and that old DIC series, Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century. (Holmes and Watson were my first pairing. I REGRET NOTHING.)

Shirtless!Benedict.gif is totally my peace offering. :u

User Image

God damn, how is he so oddly built but insanely attractive at the same time.

Scamp

Arizona Ranger
      Ah, don't mind me. I'm just a really bitchy purist. And I was at work while writing that post (grey text = work computer = oh ********, bitchmode activate ) so it's easy to come off as harsh. I started off in 1997 with the books, Brett, and that old DIC series, Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century. (Holmes and Watson were my first pairing. I REGRET NOTHING.)

User Image

oh geezus I have to quote this just for that gif so it is on here twice ********
I, uh
uh
might or might not have gifs of his darling naked bum

which I def cannot post here because it is his darling naked bum
but there you go /creepmocynthia

blublublu darling peace offerings are unnecessary but hot damn greatly appreciated

GUYS GUYS GUYS THIS IS IMPORTANT THREAD ANNOUNCEMENT HERE OKAY:
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*official currency of thread: partially naked gifs of Benedict Cumberbatch *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

dude I have heard mentions of that Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century and I just... what? That was really a thing? Was it... Tell me about it I need to know from someone who saw and not just the internet

Anxious Shapeshifter

Mistress Gambino
Arizona Ranger

User Image

oh geezus I have to quote this just for that gif so it is on here twice ********
I, uh
uh
might or might not have gifs of his darling naked bum

which I def cannot post here because it is his darling naked bum
but there you go /creepmocynthia

blublublu darling peace offerings are unnecessary but hot damn greatly appreciated

GUYS GUYS GUYS THIS IS IMPORTANT THREAD ANNOUNCEMENT HERE OKAY:
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*official currency of thread: partially naked gifs of Benedict Cumberbatch *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

dude I have heard mentions of that Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century and I just... what? That was really a thing? Was it... Tell me about it I need to know from someone who saw and not just the internet
      THREE TIMES.
      Butt gifs? omg share. set the link text size to 0, NOBODY WILL SUSPECT ANYTHING.

It was. It was awesome. Fox cancelled it when I was ten and I was completely heartbroken. Watson was a police android, Lestrade was a woman, the cars flew, it got a daytime Emmy for the use of CG animation alongside traditional animation, Sherlock was blonde and he's probably the source for my fascination for men with sideburns... and no matter how hard I try, I STILL CAN'T GET THE THEME TUNE OUT OF MY HEAD.

Scamp

Arizona Ranger
      THREE TIMES.
      Butt gifs? omg share. set the link text size to 0, NOBODY WILL SUSPECT ANYTHING.

It was. It was awesome. Fox cancelled it when I was ten and I was completely heartbroken. Watson was a police android, Lestrade was a woman, the cars flew, it got a daytime Emmy for the use of CG animation alongside traditional animation, Sherlock was blonde and he's probably the source for my fascination for men with sideburns... and no matter how hard I try, I STILL CAN'T GET THE THEME TUNE OUT OF MY HEAD.
Okay I could quote that forever but my own personal quote tree quota was filled and I had to trim. :c
also fine okay geez Trustory on the set of three, was watching To The Ends Of The Earth with my hubby and he paused to take a phone call RIGHT when it panned down to that glorious bum. He didn't come back for an hour. I didn't move an inch that whole time. I regret nothing. okay here gif links -- from The Last Enemy: http://i52.tinypic.com/11udikl.jpg -- from To The Ends Of The Earth: http://i56.tinypic.com/n69vdu.jpg / http://i55.tinypic.com/1zn395u.jpg / http://i56.tinypic.com/v4co76.jpg

oh
my
god
ohhhhh cartoons what were you even DOING back then I can't..! Why does nobody have the balls you did, 90s cartoons?! I can't... I can't process this right now alongside our Benedict's Beautiful Muscles thing this is just too much my brain is short-circuiting.
Okay, so
I'm assuming that bad-a** lady kickin' in doors and having weirdawesome hair is Ladystrade? And... I can't, I... I'm assuming cryogenic freezing happened? And Watson... fell... off... a cliff and was resurrected as an android? I feel like I'm misinterpreting that bit because wtf Holmes is the one who goes toppling off cliffs with his enemies so I am really confused but
I can't
I cannot justify legit watching this at my age, and I've already got my four year old brother-in-law doing the Inspector Gadget and Jackie Chan Adventures thing for me and if I make him like this, too, then the jig'll be up and just
can I? I think I can. I think I will. Okay. DOING THIS.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff