Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Musical: Old School Phantom or new Mackintosh-inspired?

Old school all the way! Bring back the original! 0.37735849056604 37.7% [ 200 ]
I'm indifferent 0.19245283018868 19.2% [ 102 ]
I like the new sets/costumes/staging/whatever. It's good. 0.09811320754717 9.8% [ 52 ]
I like the movie. 0.15471698113208 15.5% [ 82 ]
I haven't seen either one so I don't have an opinion. 0.17735849056604 17.7% [ 94 ]
Total Votes:[ 530 ]

Obsessive Kitten

Oh that's especially neat. I knew some of the other European casts had blonde Christines sometimes but I didn't know London was in on it too. Bonus that she's Swedish.

I think I remember reading a discussion about the blonde stage Christines on Tumblr a few days back where people were saying that it has to be done because "that's how the book was written." Then some others joked that if that's the case, any actor wanting to be Erik had to be a noseless walking corpse. "No nose? No part! That's the way the book is written." The argument also included people complaining about Norm Lewis saying "people of color shouldn't be in that role, it's not the way the book was written." So then the whole "well we have blonde Christines in some productions" thing came up with it and I'unno those things are a mess. If Webber wanted it book accurate he wouldn't have written LND.

Silvy: I don't keep my TV on all the time, I watch maybe 2 hours of TV a day if that. I enjoy the quiet too, just at bed time I need the white noise of the TV. It's been like that since I was a kid. I used to fall asleep watching movies and I used to have a condition where I heard voices and the only way to get them to "Shut up" was to have the TV on at night. I had a white noise machine at one point but it actually annoyed the hell out of me, go figure. Even though I don't hear the voices anymore it's still comforting. Now I can sleep without it, in fact I did for years, I just choose not to.

Perfect Pumpkin

The only other blonde Christine I can remember was Renata Krassy in the 2004 Hungarian production.

User Image

I like seeing little nods to the book in the ALW musical, but it's never going to be book-accurate. It's a different interpretation, just like the Kay book and the other musicals and allll the films. Of course, if Sarah Brightman had been a blonde, there probably wouldn't be any book vs. musical wig drama. lol

Oh, and Meg's got a new look, too:

User Image

Shadowy Singing

7,950 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
So I was stuck watching the re-cap of America's Got Talent last night. They had Jackie Evancho on as a returning winner. She saw "Think of Me". Look up the clip ... Think of Jackie.

Thoughts? Opnions? Heated debates?

Obsessive Kitten

While I'm amazed a 14 year old has that kind of professional voice, she's not quite there yet. She took way too many breaths, breaking up lines in the song and they were definite pauses, and the other thing I couldn't get over was you couldn't tell what she was saying. At first I thought maybe she was doing it in another language but then I realized it was just really muddled English.

The last thing I didn't like was her voice is not suited for that song. Christines are generally brighter and, hate to say it, more pop opera quality than true opera soprano and she seems to be heading toward mimicking a true opera soprano. Notice I say 'mimicking'. The girl's talented but I can't help but wonder just how long she can sing like that before it destroys her vocal chords.

Dora: I don't have the reference I saw on me but I remember a lot of the blonde Christines being in West End productions and then a few in various other countries. Mostly I think in what they call "non-replica" shows of the ALW show where they don't adhere to the costume designs or set designs.
Hello everyone! I just discovered this thread and figured this would be the best place to ask my super specific questions and hopefully someone could answer them.

1) In the original novel, what years does the story take place?

2) To add on to the above question, what year does Christine's father die and how old is she?

3) What year does Christine become an adult according to the time period of the novel? And how old is she?

I'm sorry if these questions are super specific and odd sweatdrop

Obsessive Kitten

PotOLover07
Hello everyone! I just discovered this thread and figured this would be the best place to ask my super specific questions and hopefully someone could answer them.

1) In the original novel, what years does the story take place?

2) To add on to the above question, what year does Christine's father die and how old is she?

3) What year does Christine become an adult according to the time period of the novel? And how old is she?

I'm sorry if these questions are super specific and odd sweatdrop

I'm not the most qualified to answer but I'll give it a shot.

1. 1880s-1890s. I read one article stating that it was possibly around 1883 or 84 specifically.

2. There's no date for when Christine's father died. If I recall correctly it doesn't even mention at what age Christine was when he died. My guess would be in her early teens or at least some time right before or just after she entered the corps de ballet.

3. I believe it's established that in the novel Christine is 18 and Raoul is 21. I don't know Victorian social code so I can't really answer when she's established as an adult but I would imagine by 18 she would be seen as a woman and not a child.

If anyone else in this thread has anything to add or correct go on ahead. And don't worry about asking this sort of stuff, stuff like this is often asked by phans of varying degrees all the time.
Bleeding Art

I'm not the most qualified to answer but I'll give it a shot.

1. 1880s-1890s. I read one article stating that it was possibly around 1883 or 84 specifically.

2. There's no date for when Christine's father died. If I recall correctly it doesn't even mention at what age Christine was when he died. My guess would be in her early teens or at least some time right before or just after she entered the corps de ballet.

3. I believe it's established that in the novel Christine is 18 and Raoul is 21. I don't know Victorian social code so I can't really answer when she's established as an adult but I would imagine by 18 she would be seen as a woman and not a child.

If anyone else in this thread has anything to add or correct go on ahead. And don't worry about asking this sort of stuff, stuff like this is often asked by phans of varying degrees all the time.

Thank you for answering my questions. I am rereading the novel yet again and those three questions popped into my head. I tried to find an answer to them via several searches but no luck. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions smile

Dapper Dabbler

Look what I found at my thrift shop! I figure this might be one of the few places on the internet that might appreciate this.

User Image
It's a little creepy, but it's one of the limited edition 1988 music boxes! It even came with a certificate and it's original packaging!

And it's mine now. Brag brag. Gloat. General obnoxiousness.

Obsessive Kitten

PotOlover07: It's not a problem. Leroux does make some facts a bit scarce, but of course his whole focus was on "the mysterious case of the Phantom" and not so much on stuff like that.

Phantom Pimpernel: Oh yes gloat all you want for I am genuinely jealous of your find. The best PotO find I ever had in a thrift store was an old hardback copy of the book with Hildebrandt illustrations in it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff