Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Musical: Old School Phantom or new Mackintosh-inspired?

Old school all the way! Bring back the original! 0.37761194029851 37.8% [ 253 ]
I'm indifferent 0.20149253731343 20.1% [ 135 ]
I like the new sets/costumes/staging/whatever. It's good. 0.095522388059701 9.6% [ 64 ]
I like the movie. 0.15373134328358 15.4% [ 103 ]
I haven't seen either one so I don't have an opinion. 0.17164179104478 17.2% [ 115 ]
Total Votes:[ 670 ]

Shadowy Singing

7,950 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Toast - Thanks! So, don't expect it to be anything like the Broadway production - or any of the previous tours - and I should be fine? Great!

Usually I'm more hyped to see the show, but this time I'm all "meh". Guess that's what comes of seeing it already. smile

Obsessive Kitten

I still maintain I need to wait. Plus turns out I'm having major surgery real soon and chances are if I got the money together this year I still wouldn't be able to go. But that's good to know that someone thinks more positively of it. There's a lot of hate in the phandom for this tour.

Something I found on Tumblr. Note, I did not write it.:

phantom of the opera songs: a summary

prologue: flashback time noot noot
overture: DUUUUUUUUUUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUN
think of me: frick that s**t's high
angel of music:stalkers make great music teachers
little lotte: throwback thursday
the mirror: who dis b***h think he is?
the phantom of the opera: in case you didn't know who the guy with the mask was
the music of the night: vibrattos you into loving me
prima donna: stop singing at the same time it's not dramatic it's confusing
all i ask of you: pls love me
all i ask of you (reprise): why don't you love me?
masquerade: obligatory group number
wishing you were somehow here again: i goofed up
don juan triumphant: opera for bad asses
past the point of no return: this is a euphemism for sex
down once more: yep totally a stalker
finale: gross sobbing

Shadowy Singing

7,950 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Art - That is accurate, even for the original, in some ways. ...

Eh, part of me doesn't want to like the tour because of what I've seen around the internet. But as I mentioned before I saw LND when they aired it in theaters, so I've a love for watching train wrecks. Either way I'll do my best to give an honest - non-bias (ok, meybe a liiiiittle bias) - review of what's going around.

On a random note: Emmy Rossom was on the Today show this morning. When they introduced her they basically said, "You'll know her from her first movie, The Phantom of the Opera" and showed a little clip. smile She looks great after so many years . . .

7,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
PotO Trailer for Moscow!

I will always have those tingly vibes from the first time I heard the music.

Might send this to my friend who is learning Russian...or maybe not...all his snapchats are like "When will break start..." "I miss summer." sweatdrop

Obsessive Kitten

Wow, the Moscow cast sounds great. I'd love to have a recording of that cast. And ah, to see that chandelier fall. Maybe it's me but I feel like that element makes the whole show. I'm just not happy with the "new" way of dealing with the chandelier.

Sounds like a lovely person to be around. Don't worry I've got one just like that except she's unintentionally obnoxious about being a vegan and waah community college is awful, the whole state's awful, let's move somewhere more liberal that's totally not good for my joints in temperature or terrain.

Shadowy Singing

7,950 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Can I move to Russia? For just a few days? With loads of money and some camera equiptment? biggrin
Wow - I hope they do a cast recording. I would buy it (and hope it plays on my ipod).

On a musical, but not Phantom note: I'm stage managing "Hairspray" for a local group.

Oh! I e-mailed Mr. Alonoso (I feel weird calling him by his first name. Ela - is he ok with random phans doing that? /etiquette.) And he's sending me the music - which I'm going to show to some local theatre people to see if I can get someone to perform it. Hmmm . . . maybe that guy who did the Phantom concert back in 2012 . . . sorry, thinking whilst typing. (^)^

7,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
I need to start collecting the cast recordings in different languages... I liked listening to them on YouTube for a few songs. Totally need more!

Gratz on being SM! Hope all goes well.

Dapper Vampire

TheAngelsWeepTonight
I need to start collecting the cast recordings in different languages... I liked listening to them on YouTube for a few songs. Totally need more!

I miss Jukebox Musicals so much for that purpose. sad It was this russian website that had a ton of foreign cast recordings that'd be really hard to get a hold of otherwise. It ran for a few years, but got taken down because, well, ethics and copyright law. I think there's one or two other websites sort of like it though, if you're interested.

Shadowy Singing

7,950 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Phantom Pimpernel
TheAngelsWeepTonight

I miss Jukebox Musicals so much for that purpose. sad It was this russian website that had a ton of foreign cast recordings that'd be really hard to get a hold of otherwise. It ran for a few years, but got taken down because, well, ethics and copyright law. I think there's one or two other websites sort of like it though, if you're interested.

Wasn't that J-Musicals or sumsuch? I saw they went down and was reallllly bummed. That's where I got most of my musical soundtracks. (Good thing I kept all the POTO files).

And Thanks Angels! Technically the auditions are on the 24 and then the show is in January. I might lurk at some of the rehearsals, but the director said I didn't need to be there for the rehearsals, just the two weeks before the show and the show. Meh - I need theatre so I might just lurk. Gives me a better insight into how the show's going. smile

And - two weeks from today I'll be getting ready for Phantom!!!!

Dapper Vampire

Catherine_de_Silver
Phantom Pimpernel
TheAngelsWeepTonight

Wasn't that J-Musicals or sumsuch? I saw they went down and was reallllly bummed. That's where I got most of my musical soundtracks. (Good thing I kept all the POTO files).

That's the one! I, too, hoarded got most of my soundtracks from there. Good night, sweet prince, etc etc.

Shadowy Singing

7,950 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Hey - anyone know where I can get a good Phantomy costume (within a decent price rang) that came come in before Halloween?

Or where I can find Taffeta?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces