Welcome to Gaia! ::

PotO in Paris! Yea or Nay?

Yeah dude! 0.48583877995643 48.6% [ 669 ]
Nope 0.064633260711692 6.5% [ 89 ]
Who cares? 0.2236746550472 22.4% [ 308 ]
FRENCH CAST ALBUM NEED 0.22585330428468 22.6% [ 311 ]
Total Votes:[ 1377 ]

Obsessive Kitten

I had the OCR and Movie Cast at the same time and I'll say there was a time I preferred Rossum over Brightman, but damn if I didn't love Crawford from the beginning. Butler's good looking don't get me wrong, but I'm not attracted to that stereotypical romance open-shirt-with-rippling-muscles-and-tight-pants thing. I wanted that goddamn fedora and cape.

So it's come to my attention that a lot of people writing articles on 50 Shades are comparing it to PotO, both the musical and the book. Something about "this really shows women want to be dominated by men" in which case it's like, did you even read the book? Christine and the Persian are the strongest characters, emotionally, throughout the WHOLE BOOK. Erik bawled over being kissed on the forehead. He's literally like, "well I got a kiss, I can actually die now" and PROCEEDS TO.

Forgive me if anyone likes the books, I don't find anything in them to like, same with Twilight. I have to say though it's very hilarious that some women my 80-something year old ex-Navy uncle knows got him to read 50 Shades because they highly recommended it. I can't imagine the level of uncomfortable he reached reading the books. Makes me wonder if Erik would've pretty much died of embarrassment reading them or gotten weird ideas.

10,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
People are comparing 50 Shades of Grey to PotO? .... http://i.imgur.com/FulDepD.gif

Omg, "He's literally like, "well I got a kiss, I can actually die now" and PROCEEDS TO." rofl
It's true!!

50 Shades started out as Twilight Fanfic so there's that. I think it would of been a bit much for Erik, or anyone around that time period too.

Obsessive Kitten

Yeah I knew about that. Even so how do you get from a fanfic about teenagers and the supernatural world to... that?

I can seriously see Erik turning scarlet while trying to read it then tossing the book at Daroga's head and blaming him for bringing that in to his house when chances are he probably stole it from someone. Then he can't get the imagery out of his head and the entire time he's trying to give Christine a lesson he chokes and makes weird noises when his brain replaces the characters and then he spends a month doing nothing but playing church songs on his organ to "purify" himself.
I feel like Erik would reject it for it's incredible lack of writing skill, not so much the content. The original book speaks to Don Juan Triumphant being the most dark and sexual inappropriate piece. I think Erik had a lot of pent up sexual tension, and wasn't above it being put into an art, text, music, or otherwise.

That being said, if it wasn't penned by a genius, it is probably beneath his interest.

Although, Erik likely would not be into any BDSM ideals, given his background being held captive against his will.

EDIT: ITS BACK. Takarazuka phantom 2011

Edgiest Knife

43,715 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • The Edgiest 250
Erik grovels at Christine's feet and kisses the hem of her dress. Not exactly the picture of dominance.

Of course, the relationship isn't a particularly healthy one either. This discussion reminded me I had this sitting in my POTO folder:

User Image

Obsessive Kitten

Toast: Yeah you're probably right. I still think he'd hit the Daroga with it though. Nevermind the reason, if there is one.

Dora: Hah. And yeah no it's a totally unhealthy relationship mentally and emotionally, but it doesn't stop people from shipping it or thinking up scenarios for the 'couple'. So if they can overlook that who's to say others can't overlook the messed up situation in 50SOG?

10,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
Oh my god! Takarazuka Phanom!! I hope it'll still be up when I have the time to watch it fully.

I feel like Daroga would get asked a lot of questions (in the form of thrown objects) from Erik.

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Angels - I hope it's still there too. I don't have that much time to give yet.
Let me know if it's not when you want to. I know where to find it elsewhere.

Yeah. That was the one thing that I think made me like the tour version. Is they gave a lot of weight and thought to the fact that Erik wasn't really the romantic hero, and it was not okay that he was kidnapping, manipulating, and at the end really contemplating making her go through with stuff against her will. It really played with the idea that that was very much not okay, and that Raoul was in fact, a good guy in trying to save Christine.

Obsessive Kitten

Found this gem on DA.

Are there subtitles on that video? Cuz I'd love to watch it, I just don't want to spend 2 hours not knowing what's going on. (stupid question but yet I ask anyway)

Now see I can get behind that. I'm not hating on E/C shipping but it's the least realistic option, honestly, and some phans won't even agree that it's just a fictional guilty pleasure. Too many are like "well s**t he's not THAT bad" and he is.

Speaking of bad apparently there are fans out there that ship Raoul/Meg. Complete ALW-verse. It's like... how did you even come to the conclusion they care who the other person is, much less love them?

10,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
*Scrolls through comic* What is Daroga holding--Oh my god. Love it!!

Haha I guess they'll let it slide that Erik murdered two people in the show.

Unlikely pairs make sense, but more in the sense that their characteristics are completely opposite, and therefore attract (or something like that?) Whereas Meg and Raoul...just...what.

Edgiest Knife

43,715 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • The Edgiest 250
I guess the reason I'm okay with E/C shipping but not 50SOG is because Phantom is just so completely out there. How many human skeletons/ghosts occupy houses on lakes underneath opera houses, exactly? lol Plus Leroux didn't play up the relationship as an ideal romance, and whatsherface did.

Obsessive Kitten

Well that's half my point with E/C is most realize it could never happen but it's cute to think about anyway. The people who demand it's canon and the only true coupling bother me because they're the ones that write off Erik's misdeeds and obvious lack of moral fiber and just say he's "troubled" and needs love to heal him.

Personally I like reading all the bromance stuff between Erik and the Daroga. But like everything else you've got people that get them romantically involved because LOL FRIENDSHIP MEANS YOU WANT THEM IN YOUR BED NAKED. I just like the idea that despite all his insanity and hate, Erik could make and keep a friend. Of course I also idealize his having a pet even though in reality I'm fairly sure he'd be a terrible pet owner.

10,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
Oh wait, yeah...A...Ayesha? The cat he owned in Kay's version.

Edgiest Knife

43,715 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • The Edgiest 250
I named one of my tarantulas after Ayesha. Erik's not a dog or cat person, he's a spider person. wink

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff