Welcome to Gaia! ::

PotO in Paris! Yea or Nay?

Yeah dude! 0.48583877995643 48.6% [ 669 ]
Nope 0.064633260711692 6.5% [ 89 ]
Who cares? 0.2236746550472 22.4% [ 308 ]
FRENCH CAST ALBUM NEED 0.22585330428468 22.6% [ 311 ]
Total Votes:[ 1377 ]

Obsessive Kitten

I think most of us for years have been wishing Burton would pick up PotO and do his own version. I still hope one day he'll do it.
Herbert Lom has died at the age of 95. For those of you who don't know who he is and why you should care, he was the Phantom in Hammer's The Phantom of the Opera in 1962. This film is underrated even among other Hammer films, and I recommend it to all you POTO fans who haven't seen it, and are interested in a different take.

User Image

Obsessive Kitten

The sad news aside, most of us here know who Herbert Lom is so you don't need to give that whole "this is who he is and why you should give a crap" speech. We respect most of the actors who have portrayed the Phantom as well as their other career roles even if we don't watch the films they've starred in.

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
I saw his version on youtube a few years ago. I didn't really like the girl who played Christine - she annoyed me quite a bit. Lom was good in the role; definitely more Leroux!Erik-ish than some.

Obsessive Kitten

I've noticed in a lot of versions that the Christine is generally a whiny waif. Which is ironic since Leroux's Christine is pretty much the hero of the book.

But yeah, sad to hear about Lom. 95, though, at least he lived to a ripe old age.
Catherine_de_Silver
Dora - THAT PICTURE MAKES MY FRIKIN' NIGHT! *ahem* Definitely have to get up there to see him again.

Hate to say it. He's lost his touch. I miss sarcastic acting heavy Hugh, with the seductive overtones and the childish undertones. He's all but abandoned that now. Saw him twice to give him a chance. #NotThatImpressed

Quote:
I got lucky with my copy of Kay's novel. I found it on a book sale shelf at the local library and nabbed it for a quarter, maybe two?, at most. I literally had to keep myself from screaming out loud when I saw it there.

I get all my phantom books from ABE books. It's a site that used book stores can post their inventory on, so you're buying it from a used bookstore only online. Here. First copy presently for sale, $3.75 with shipping.

Quote:
Personally, and I don't really even like his stlye, I would rather see Tim Burton to Phantom. Any version really, ok, no, the Leroux version and the Kay version. He would make it the creepy way it was intended to be.

Pleh. Speilberg. Pleh. Tom Cruise. Pleh. Burton. I think Burton would make an excellent claymation of Phantom if he didn't cast Johnny Depp or his wife unless they were Raoul and Madame Giry's voices.

Don't let Burton live action it. =/

----

Found a phantom phan on the subway today. Or she found me 'cos I was wearing my phantom shirt. A good solid 40 minute geek out session you didn't expect is good for the soul.

Obsessive Kitten

I agree I'd rather see the stop action claymation than any live action. We've enough of those, give us some damned variety. And though I like Depp in most things I have to say I think Erik would be out of his acting range. He can mange weird and creepy, but on a comedic level. Erik needs genuine fright factor.

Also thanks for the link to that site. Maybe I'll be able to pick up some other books I've been looking for on the cheap there.

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
I only saw Hugh once, last year. He had all the sarcasim there to go, maybe he lost it in the past year? I dunno, still, it's an excuse to go back up to NYC.

I'll have to check out that book place, even if I really don't need anymore at this time. (Six boxes full of them and I still keep buying more. I have no willpower with books.)

Variety would be nice. And, since I finally saw "The Avengers" last night, I have to say give the role of Erik to Tom Hiddleston! That guy gave me the creeps and my brain kept screaming "Erik" every time I saw him.
Bleeding Art
The sad news aside, most of us here know who Herbert Lom is so you don't need to give that whole "this is who he is and why you should give a crap" speech. We respect most of the actors who have portrayed the Phantom as well as their other career roles even if we don't watch the films they've starred in.

I certainly meant no offense by that. I just assumed that not everyone would know him, meaning the regs or any new people who happen to browse through the thread a bit.

Obsessive Kitten

Captain Talavar
Bleeding Art

I certainly meant no offense by that. I just assumed that not everyone would know him, meaning the regs or any new people who happen to browse through the thread a bit.

You'll have to excuse me, I snap at weird moments. I understand what you meant since we do get fly-bys and some casual conversationalists who don't know much more than the musical or whatnot. Again my apologies, a month of insomnia doesn't help nerves or impulse control.
Bleeding Art
Captain Talavar
Bleeding Art

You'll have to excuse me, I snap at weird moments. I understand what you meant since we do get fly-bys and some casual conversationalists who don't know much more than the musical or whatnot. Again my apologies, a month of insomnia doesn't help nerves or impulse control.

No problem. Ask the Supernatural forum about me, they'll tell you I've snapped plenty of times too. sweatdrop

Enduring Hunter

I've dropped into the world of casual phandom.

10,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
I brought the 25th Anniversary DVD with me to college. ninja Now to wait...

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
So, tonight while doing a concert I found out that our leading man's brother-in-law was the understudy for Tim Martin Gleason in the Touring company. And he has 2 CDs out with a 3rd coming in Thanksgiving with Broadway songs.

Obsessive Kitten

Wow. It's amazing how you get connected to someone sometimes, eh? Kind of like I used to go to church with two of Britney Spears' aunts. (which is offtopic but ah well)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff