Welcome to Gaia! ::

PotO in Paris! Yea or Nay?

Yeah dude! 0.48583877995643 48.6% [ 669 ]
Nope 0.064633260711692 6.5% [ 89 ]
Who cares? 0.2236746550472 22.4% [ 308 ]
FRENCH CAST ALBUM NEED 0.22585330428468 22.6% [ 311 ]
Total Votes:[ 1377 ]

The Loveless Blade

Being a starving artist. Okay not starving, but pretty much just bumming it. But glad to see you're still around even if you just pop in once in a blue moon. Thread doesn't move very fast anyway.

Ah, c'est la vie d'une artiste, hélas!

Also, glad to hear the thread's so slow. That should make it easier to keep up with! (Actually, I've just got three exams this week causing me a little bit of stress, so my perspective on time is rather divorced from reality at present.)

Who else is still kicking around?

10,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
Gahhh. I've always dreamed about my high school putting on Phantom of the Opera. gonk Best of luck to tech crew!

Obsessive Kitten

Looks like the US release of the Anniversary DVD is the 7th of February. Which doesn't matter to me I don't get paid until the 15th, so. XD

Also I had the freakiest dream this morning. I dreamt the whole cast of PotO was dead except Christine (no idea where Raoul was) and they all haunted the opera house, which was super rundown, as ghosts and they waited for Christine to be reincarnated so she'd be lured to the opera house to sing. I mean, constantly. She'd last maybe a few weeks and die of overexertion and they'd just wait for her. All of them were vicious, almost mindless ghosts and the top ghost, Erik, would appear if one got out of line (usually Carlotta who even in death loathed Christine) and threaten to send their souls to hell. Erik was really cool looking. He was literally this silhouette with a cape and fedora part of it and the only things you could really see were his eyes which glowed like antiqued gold and the pure white mask still on his face. Every time the Christine died, he would take her soul and ascend it to Heaven.

No idea what inspired that dream, but it was pretty cool.

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Wow, welcome back hadesdecharon!

Loveless- I'm dipping into my savings to get the DVD. Just to annoy the heck out of my sisters. > smile And for the pure joy of watching the actual show.

Obsessive Kitten

Pffft your sisters will get over it. The radiation of awesome from the DVD will fix that.

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
They'll have to deal. If I have to suffer through barbie movies - then they can suffer through an amazing show. (Complete with adult themes!)

10,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
What a deal!

Pencils - I want what you're on. XD

Invisible Gaian

I'm going to see it live on Broadway next month. <3

Obsessive Kitten

TheAngelsWeepTonight
What a deal!

Pencils - I want what you're on. XD

Hon my house looks like a pharmacy I'm on so much medication. XD But personally I think it's the stuff I take to prevent my sensitivity to light, flashing and non. I've had some batshit dreams since I was put on that stuff.

Unrelated, I hate how the entertainment forum attracts spam and general ********. Go spam a Desperate Housewives thread or something, seriously.

@ A Beautiful Farewell: Lucky you! I'd be lucky to have the money just to buy a plane ticket to New York, nevermind a Broadway ticket. The DVD recording of the anniversary performance was made for the poor people like me. XD Only way I've seen Sweeney Todd (not the movie) and Jekyll & Hyde. And Cats. And several others I don't bother naming.

Then again I hate airplanes anyway. COME BACK US TOUR AND FOR ONCE GET CLOSER TO MY STATE THAN HOUSTON. Honestly, it's either go to Texas or try for the panhandle of Florida and hope for the best.

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Loveless- They have a DVD of Jekyll&Hyde?

Beautiful- The Broadway show is amazing. It's worth the pennies spent.

Obsessive Kitten

Yep, sure do. Sad thing is, it's not the original cast. I think the only remaining original cast member is the woman who plays Lucy. David Hasselhoff plays Jekyll/Hyde and he's not bad but his Hyde isn't as awesome. Still it's fascinating watching one man play two and the only differences are the way he stands and the lighting on the stage, especially for "Confrontation" where the lights are constantly switching from blue (Jekyll) to red (Hyde). Fairly barebones set if memory serves me right, but I think for dark stories like that, the empty space and allowance of shadow works. Same for the now gone revival of Sweeney Todd. Stage barely had anything on it and everyone stayed on stage and played an instrument. They were the actors and the orchestra, though some bits of the original stage show I missed. But as someone once said, it's very hard to afford to revive a Sondheim musical. Apparently the man was notorious for expensive sets. I imagine that could be said for some of Webber's stuff too, though CATS could be the exception from what I've seen cosplayers on DeviantART do.

Which again brings me to my wondering about high schools and colleges being able to pull off Phantom of the Opera. The original costumes are so elaborate, then you have the mechanics of the boat, candlebra, pyrotechnics of the fireballs, so on. Considering most schools' art and drama budgets (aka next to nothing) it's something to wonder. Then again I guess if everyone's good enough they could wear potato sacks and it'd still be a good show.

Pffft me and my mouth, I swear.

Shadowy Singing

26,140 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
That brings up a question: How would a school/college go about dropping/raising the chandelier?

And the Masquerade scene for that matter? Hmmm, I'll be on youtube for a while.

Obsessive Kitten

The chandelier I imagine would be some pulley mechanism or some creative use of fishing wire. I think what would be fun would be if the school could forget the whole crashing on stage and, space allowed, leave the center of the auditorium or theater empty and have it crash there, in the middle of the audience. To me that would give it that extra element, aka breaking the 4th wall.

As for the masquerade scene... are we talking all the costumes/people or something else?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff