Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think the Star Trek movie coming out in 2012 will be good?

Yes! 0.39493136219641 39.5% [ 374 ]
No! 0.11615628299894 11.6% [ 110 ]
It depends! 0.3051742344245 30.5% [ 289 ]
Were all gonna die so it doesn't matter. 0.18373812038015 18.4% [ 174 ]
Total Votes:[ 947 ]

No prob. You also know that shift + R in space (not sector space) makes you put all power to your engines right? When I realized that mission went 10x faster. For some reason it took me a few missions to realize this LOL

I never got the chance to get into Enterprise, I grew up on TNG and TOS soon followed and there was a time when I was obsessed with Voyager xD

But yeah I wish more people I knew played STO my friend wants a sub but hasn't the money yet. Though I'm not helping any with that since I'm dragging her to a con to see Shat and Spiner sweatdrop

I'd really like a new series, I mean the reboot wasn't my favorite but they did leave it open for shows/movies since you can get away with anything in an alternate time line.
I like Reed and Trip, but those are really the only characters I like. And the Vulcans really don't act very Vulcany. I dunno. Vulcans are just kinda there, until you need someone to point out something logical. And unfortunately more Romulans (the 5th season would have led to the start of the Earth-Romulan war) and Shran couldn't have saved Enterprise.

I really do hope that once the new movies run there course there will be a new series. One thing I will be very angry about is if it is set in the alternate time line. The new series must be in regular time line dammit. I think if it was set in the alternative time line, it could just lead to writers being lazy, and throwing in Nu!Picard or some s**t like that just to make us watch. I am going to stop before this mini rant turns into a long one. As for characters I would like to see, definitely an Andorian and a Romulan in the main cast. Just because they are fan favorites and we really haven't seen much of them. I am also tired of Romulans only playing the villain. Seriously every villain plot lately has the Romulans involved. I would also like it if the show were to deal with the destruction of Romulus. Dammit I want to know how they recover into the wonderful empire they used to be.

I apologize for how that turned into a rant...

Do you play live with other people in STO?
I agree new time line kinda made me go "WTF?!" because technically everything in the normal time line doesn't matter anymore. I kind of think they did it as an excuse so they can make s**t up and/or rehash old episodes/movies.

If they make a new series I really hope the bridge doesn't look like a mac store. It was WAY too bright and white in the new bridge and that kind of environment isn't healthy. I'd also like a diverse crew and good writers are a must since I've noticed usual favorite episodes are written by the same people. Also good character development. I trust Trek but modern entertainment seems to ignore the basic steps of making a realistic character.

Yeah you play live, it's fun. I go to DS9 and play dabo sometimes and you can meet a couple people there depending on how busy it is. There's also a ton of RPers in the first instance, I was playing dabo at Quarks there once and a Vulcan was telling someone they should take up a more logical hobby than knitting. xD
Yeah, they just rebooted the timeline so they wouldn't have to worry about getting random obscure details wrong and making hardcore fans rage, I guess.

But yeah, if there's a new series, it should just be set in the original timeline, in the future. Maybe whatever time ST Online is set? Anyway, yeah, I think it'd be awesome to have an Andorian and Romulan in the main cast too. They're pretty popular races.... I think it'd be wiser to choose one from those instead of making a weird new one up. Although weird new races can work too if they're written well~ All of the Dominion races were pretty cool imo.

Also, while there weren't any Romulan main characters in DS9, they're not just the plain simple villains in that show. They have a more complicated relationship with the Federation and switch back and forth from enemies to neutral to allies. It's cool. One of the best DS9 episoes, Pale Moonlight, involves Romulans too. That episode though... ;_;

Yeah, randomly other people will be on a mission with you and if it's a long "SHOOT THINGS IN SPACE" mission, I'm always so happy to see other ally ships around!

I don't like the reboot bridge either. I think if they were working there every day, often in stressful situations, a warm color scheme would be a lot better. TOS and especially TNG had pretty comfortable-looking bridges. XD Even the Defiant looks more comfortable than Reboot's, though! And that ship is just a flying set of phasers, pretty much. XD

And the thing I watch Star Trek for, more-so than crazy space adventures, is the interesting characters. <3

I haven't tried playing dabo yet. I'm not good with gambling. XD I'll check it out later.

The RPers sound fun. I kind of want to try too, but I'm only used to RPing in forums. I'm kind of RPing in my head, though. lol Just trying to think of a back story for my character and wondering what my crew thinks of him. I'm guessing when he was cloned, a lot of alterations were made to his genes so he is able to experience more things, like aesthetics and taste and whatnot. He's probably really curious and wants to try everything. I guess that's why joining Starfleet and exploring the universe was appealing to him. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it and should just focus on shooting things and investigating anomalies. <_<;
Also, I was rambling so much that I forgot to mention that I finally got promoted to Lieutenant Commander and received my science ship! Yay! xd
HUZZAH new ship!

I don't get the issue with obscure details. If they aren't sure they should just look it up on the memory alpha wiki like everyone else. xD
I couldn't let the bridge thing go while watching the movie because right before I saw it I read an article on how bright lights in a workspace can lead to mental/heart issues. So that sort of stuck more than it should have I guess.

That's what I was in love with when I had my Voyager obsession stage. The characters had heart so you could really feel for them. whee

It's really easy and if you do it enough you get accolades for it. You just pick three spots on the wheel and place a bet and hope you get a dabo. The prizes you can buy with the GPL you win aren't good yet but people are complaining so maybe Cryptic will change that. They're also working on a poker game you can play. (hence the random poker table in your ship's lounge)

I hear in game RPing is really fun but I haven't tried it yet. One day I'll have to get around to filling out the Biography section of my character.

After playing STO watching Star Trek is can be more fun because now I can relate in a weird nerd way.
Wow, I actually agree with what both of you said about the new show. Makes me feel better. Sometimes I think I am the only one who isn't a fan of alternate time line. Also pertaining to the show, I would like to see a lot more aliens on the ship. And less humans. If we are this far in the future it would make sense. And definitely it should be around the time of STO, or a little later.

I was talking to my friend (who I made in Japan) and we were talking about Star Trek and she couldn't really see around the idea that the two time lines can exist at the same time. Meaning, now that the new timeline is there nothing can be created in the old time line. I really hope the majority of Trek fans don't feel this way. I would hate to throw out everything that has been done so far, and only have shows/movies/whatever in the new time line.

Yeah, I heard that the Romulans role in DS9 was a lot different. I don't want to spoil all the Romulanness of DS9, so I didn't look it up. Like I said, DS9 is the one I know the least about. But one day I'll watch you. From what you said, though, about Romulans in DS9 that seems to be exactly who they are. They are not necessarily always against humans, they are just in it for themselves.

The set was to bright for Nu!Trek. They are going to have to turn that s**t down. It worked well for the movie, just not for a TV show.

I think interesting characters and crazy space adventures are the only reasons people watch Trek. That is what is special about it.

If everyone checked Memory Alpha before doing anything Trek related we never would have any problems with canon.

And congratulations on getting promoted!
I got two new officers too. Liberated Borg engineer and Cardassian scientist. ^_^

Yeah, that is true. Even I had no problem checking a things on Memory Alpha for the dumb fanfic I'm working on. And it's not like there's that much official canon on their academy days anyway.

If you ignore the books, there's like... five things known about Kirk: he's from Iowa, he cheated on the Kobayashi Maru, he survived Tarsus IV, he was bullied by a weird Irish guy, and he has one brother. I'm exaggerating, but whatever else there is, it'd take like five minutes to check. XD

BTW, I was kind of annoyed that the new timeline seems to have left out Tarsus IV completely. That's something I think a lot of fans would have liked to see addressed in a prequel. Of course, there's still a chance it happened, but it seems like they're not aware of it at all. :[ Instead of trying to give Kirk an angsty backstory by killing his dad, they should have shown Tarsus IV instead! It would have been more original and dramatic and interesting, imo. Do you think that would have been a more interesting start to a TOS prequel? Probably too dark for a mainstream audience, though. IDK.

The lens flare thing reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbJ-y6BWfUc
XD

I have mixed opinions on Voyager. I'll elaborate later when I'm less sleepy. XD Basically, sometimes I like it and sometimes I hate it. Its episodes seem to be a lot more polarizing than the other series. I mean, there are really duuuuumb TOS and TNG and DS9 episodes too, but they don't seem as frequent? I'm not sure.

I don't feel like flying to DS9 right now. Is there a way later on to... transwarp moar?

We should totally meet up and RP sometime. ^O^ Hm, I don't know what kind of personality my character has quite worked out. I just imagine what his reaction is to random things. For example, at one point he was thinking "AHHH, VULCAN HISTORIANS! DX<" I wonder if he's a good diplomat like Vorta usually are. He doesn't seem very subtle, though! XD He likes to stand on tables.

And I feel kind of the inverse. I get really into STO because I like Star Trek. I think that if I didn't know anything about Star Trek and someone randomly showed this game to me, I would just be like.... whatever. It's definitely a game for the fans. XD

Yeah, I don't think the alternate timeline like... deleted everything that happened during the original one. I think it just created an alternate universe. Like the mirror universe only with less beards. Star Trek is filled with other alternate universes!

Mostly human crews made sense in like the TOS era, but in the 24th century, the amount of humans we see is uneven. I think that it's just people's preference instead of some sort of Starfleet regulation, though. Like that one Vulcan captain from the baseball episode had an all-Vulcan crew. Probably most people flock to ships that have a captain of the same race? IDK. If anything, I think Starfleet would encourage more diverse crews. My crew has no humans. XD

DS9 is pretty freaking awesome. Apparently some people don't like it because it's set on a station and because it's darker. These reasons are DUMB, though. ;D The station gives an interesting perspective and I also don't really think it's that much darker. They still talked about wars and conflicts even back in TOS. It was just in the background. XD
You're writing a fanfic? May I ask about what?

When do we learn Kirk cheated on the Kobayashi Maru? I don't remember when that happened. I also don't remember when we learned he was from Iowa. I know that he is from Iowa and the he cheated but I don't know how those facts came about.

Well Tarsus IV would have been interesting, but with his father dieing in the movie, I guess it would make sense that he would never go to Tarsus in the new timeline. I guess his brother was never born then either. Huh.

Lulz. I have seen that video before. It cracks me up. He is a really poor choice for captain.

The problem is most people don't know ST well enough to know that the new alternate time line is just one of many alternate timelines. Therefor every one thinks that oldtime line is gone.

I agree, but as Starfleet goes into the future I would hope that the crews become more diverse.

I do want to watch DS9, I just haven't gotten there. I am sure I will enjoy it what with the Romulans and all wonderful character development.
Lily The Thirteenth

When do we learn Kirk cheated on the Kobayashi Maru? I don't remember when that happened. I also don't remember when we learned he was from Iowa. I know that he is from Iowa and the he cheated but I don't know how those facts came about.

Well Tarsus IV would have been interesting, but with his father dieing in the movie, I guess it would make sense that he would never go to Tarsus in the new timeline. I guess his brother was never born then either. Huh.

Lulz. I have seen that video before. It cracks me up. He is a really poor choice for captain.

The problem is most people don't know ST well enough to know that the new alternate time line is just one of many alternate timelines. Therefor every one thinks that oldtime line is gone.

I agree, but as Starfleet goes into the future I would hope that the crews become more diverse.

I do want to watch DS9, I just haven't gotten there. I am sure I will enjoy it what with the Romulans and all wonderful character development.

We learn about the Maru in one of the movies. Khan, I believe. It had the red uniforms.

They could still make Tarsus work, but they didn't mention it and it bugs me. As far as his brother, though, he exists. He's actually the older brother. There was a deleted scene with him - that kid walking by the side of the road is supposed to be him, if you count the deleted scene as canon. And Frank is supposed to be his uncle, not his stepfather as fanon has it so often.

Mind, this is all from one deleted scene. Apparently Sam (first name George but in TOS he went by Sam) was running away and telling Jim to stay because he never did anything wrong and was always good etc. Then the car scene begins.

I LOVE the fact that the old timeline still exists, because it definitely does. That's part of the awesomeness of Trek, IMHO, because they can play with timetravel and paradoxes and not just other species. Much as I like other species and prefer episodes not on earth, my favorite eps are those when the Enterprise has to deal with something like an alternate universe, temporal loop or Q just because he's awesome.

But I agree, most people really don't know about that, which I find strange because I got into Star Trek through the new movie, then went back to TOS and went 'holy crap this is a bajillion times BETTER." Now I'm still slowly winding through TNG, but there are so many books and fanon that there are no real surprises left.

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
Lily The Thirteenth

In Wrath of Khan.

I think the first mention of Iowa is in Voyage Home (when he is chatting with the 'Got to save the whales lady').

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
Mobster Lobster

Yeah, I don't think the alternate timeline like... deleted everything that happened during the original one. I think it just created an alternate universe. Like the mirror universe only with less beards. Star Trek is filled with other alternate universes!

Mostly human crews made sense in like the TOS era, but in the 24th century, the amount of humans we see is uneven. I think that it's just people's preference instead of some sort of Starfleet regulation, though. Like that one Vulcan captain from the baseball episode had an all-Vulcan crew. Probably most people flock to ships that have a captain of the same race? IDK. If anything, I think Starfleet would encourage more diverse crews. My crew has no humans. XD

DS9 is pretty freaking awesome. Apparently some people don't like it because it's set on a station and because it's darker. These reasons are DUMB, though. ;D The station gives an interesting perspective and I also don't really think it's that much darker. They still talked about wars and conflicts even back in TOS. It was just in the background. XD

Yeah, just look at the TNG episode Parallels. I think that has the most alternate universes of any Star Trek episode.

There was an all Vulcan crew mentioned in TOS as well, the crew of The Intrepid in the episode The Immunity Syndrome.

Yeah I love DS9 (I am currently rewatching it on YouTube). It is a little darker than the others, but it still manages to have happy episodes in the middle of all of it.

7,500 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
I think this thread is way beyond dead.

Rae x Rae's Wife

Bashful Shapeshifter

TehSpockinater89

School has started up again. People are cutting down their time on Gaia.

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Consumer 100
Muffinyness
TehSpockinater89

School has started up again. People are cutting down their time on Gaia.
That's funny. I spend a lot more time on Gaia during the school year. Maybe that's because I'm a slacker.
P.S. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a sexy beast.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff