Welcome to Gaia! ::

With what "new" version are you happy?

BBC Sherlock Series 0.46551724137931 46.6% [ 54 ]
Sherlock Holmes 2010/2012 Movies 0.4051724137931 40.5% [ 47 ]
Lucy Liu, yeah let's see that! 0.060344827586207 6.0% [ 7 ]
I heard there's a total different version coming up! 0.068965517241379 6.9% [ 8 ]
Total Votes:[ 116 ]
This poll closed on November 23, 2012.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 >

no1yaoi-lover
Sherlock BBC is awesome

Your signature picture is just perfection.

Dangerous Fairy

Hitori Lycan
no1yaoi-lover
Sherlock BBC is awesome

Your signature picture is just perfection.

mrgreen SUPERWHOLOCK mrgreen
It's funny that Jude Law ended up playing Watson, as he was actually being considered for Sherlock himself back when they were going to make Sherlock Holmes and the Vengeance of Dracula as a big budget movie. I have the screenplay for that too. Shame it was never filmed.

Romantic Loverboy

9,250 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
Jeremy Brett is my Sherlock, though Benedict Cumberbatch came in at a very close second. I didn't dislike the Robert Downey Jr. movie but it wasn't the sort of thing I'd go out of my way to see again and I never did get around to watching the sequel, just because I knew Irene Adler was going to be "the love interest".
Have not and will not watch Elementary, just because America already has a stupid number of "professional consulting detective" detective shows that it just looks like Elementary is our way of sticking it to the Brits. Again.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Help hatch this baby, it's running out of time arrow User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
We who have Fallen
Jeremy Brett is my Sherlock, though Benedict Cumberbatch came in at a very close second. I didn't dislike the Robert Downey Jr. movie but it wasn't the sort of thing I'd go out of my way to see again and I never did get around to watching the sequel, just because I knew Irene Adler was going to be "the love interest".
Have not and will not watch Elementary, just because America already has a stupid number of "professional consulting detective" detective shows that it just looks like Elementary is our way of sticking it to the Brits. Again.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Help hatch this baby, it's running out of time arrow User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

You didn't see the sequel because you knew Adler would be the love interest?

You are way off, dude. At most I'd say she just has a cameo.

7,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
I'd read a few of the stories in school and really liked them, and then when they announced the first Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock movie, I went back and read all the stories to get a real background... I also watched different adaptations (including the movie Without A Clue...doesn't stick to the books, but was very funny anyway). It makes it so much more interesting to watch different film adaptations when you know the books...it also helps you to determine which ones are of real quality & which ones are just getting by on the concept of Sherlock Holmes.
Love the movies with RDJ & Jude Law...I also equally love the BBC Sherlock series...the concept of a modern-day Sherlock Holmes made me skeptical at first because there are many ways for that to be done wrong (no disrespect to Hugh Laurie, I love him, but House comes to mind), but Moffat & Gatiss made it amazing. They (and Benedict Cumberbatch, of course) really brought Sherlock's character accurately into modern-day with his fascination and use of the latest technology & at the same time his ignorance on many "non-essential" things, such as the Solar System. I also appreciate how they accurately portray Watson's character (Martin Freeman was the perfect choice) as the man that keeps Sherlock together. It's all brilliant.
(Side point too, just for my little nerdy self... Moffatt also writes for Doctor Who, so I get not only Sherlock Holmes, but the occasional reference to The Doctor, which makes me very happy).
Not big on the new CBS one though. I feel like they're trying to cash in on a "trend" & straining to make it different & interesting somehow. I think we're set with the movies and the BBC show.

Familiar Fatcat

Sherlock BBC series and the Sherlock movies with Robert D. Jr.

emotion_drool

Those are the ones that I absolutely adore!

Aged Gaian

4,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Is there any news of a 3rd movie?

7,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
Captain Talavar
We who have Fallen

Yes, please don't let that be the reason you don't watch it. Irene Adler is barely there. The sequel I'd say is much better than the first...the actors are more comfortable in their roles, so the already great chemistry is even better, & I was much more impressed with the plot...it was actually based off of one of Conan-Doyle's stories & not the catering to the masses' obsession with the supernatural that the first one was.
XDaydream_BelieverX
Captain Talavar
We who have Fallen

Yes, please don't let that be the reason you don't watch it. Irene Adler is barely there. The sequel I'd say is much better than the first...the actors are more comfortable in their roles, so the already great chemistry is even better, & I was much more impressed with the plot...it was actually based off of one of Conan-Doyle's stories & not the catering to the masses' obsession with the supernatural that the first one was.

Hey now, supernatural Holmes stuff isn't too bad when it's well done, and it's acknowledged that it's a genre mash-up of sorts. Sherlock Holmes and the Vengeance of Dracula is one of the great un-produced screenplays with a lot of love in Hollywood, and I happen to have a copy of it. And it kicks a**.

Besides, there's been some connection between Holmes and the supernatural before. Hound of the Baskervilles touched on the idea a little bit, and a very well done, underrated film adaptation of said story was made by none other than Hammer Films, the folks behind the revival of vampires and gothic horror in the late 50s into the 60s and 70s. Holmes was even played by Peter Cushing, the man responsible for the image of Van Helsing as a badass vampire hunter instead of the eccentric Dutch doctor he was in the original novel. Not to mention he was an awesome villainous Baron Frankenstein too. 3nodding

7,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
Captain Talavar
XDaydream_BelieverX
Captain Talavar
We who have Fallen

Hey now, supernatural Holmes stuff isn't too bad when it's well done, and it's acknowledged that it's a genre mash-up of sorts. Sherlock Holmes and the Vengeance of Dracula is one of the great un-produced screenplays with a lot of love in Hollywood, and I happen to have a copy of it. And it kicks a**.

Besides, there's been some connection between Holmes and the supernatural before. Hound of the Baskervilles touched on the idea a little bit, and a very well done, underrated film adaptation of said story was made by none other than Hammer Films, the folks behind the revival of vampires and gothic horror in the late 50s into the 60s and 70s. Holmes was even played by Peter Cushing, the man responsible for the image of Van Helsing as a badass vampire hunter instead of the eccentric Dutch doctor he was in the original novel. Not to mention he was an awesome villainous Baron Frankenstein too. 3nodding

I'm not saying that it wasn't good... I love the movie & think it was very well done. It just felt slightly off to me, partly I think because of the current media trend of nearly everything remotely popular having to do with the supernatural, be it vampires or otherwise. The timing of it made it feel more like it was catering to that, that's all I'm saying... The second one was directly based off an actual story & it felt like a solid Sherlock Holmes adventure which is why I like it better, though both are fantastic.
Definitely the Cumberbatch series. THe movies aren't bad, but the BBC series is just brilliant through and through.
I love the Movies as I never feel to read any book hahaha. I love to watch movies and the 2 parts of sherlock holmes were awesome waiting for next one biggrin

Aged Gaian

4,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Oh I do love where in the book Sherlock pretends to be in deathbed, poor Watson XD

Dedicated Entrepreneur

Anyone tried pipe smoking. Holmes made me do it.

pipesand stuff

You can actually get a similar pipe to thine he used damn cheap. Although the ones you see on tv and stuff aren't the style he used. They started that when they started making the books Into plays. That's why you see the exaggerated swoop. It shows up better on stage.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff