Welcome to Gaia! ::

What makes a horror film really great to you? What do you think are the best horror films?

I personally prefer lots os suspense. I hate gore. I feel that if a movie has a lot of gore it's because they couldn't think of anything else. I need to be left guessing until the end. I also really dislike heavily computer animated creatures. It's just not scary.

Here are my favorite horror films and why.

Antichrist is a really great film. The title is misleading I feel. Anyway it is a psychological horror film about a man and his wife who's toddler dies by faling out of an open window. The man is a psychologist and decides to help his wife get through the grief of losing their baby. This ends up leading them onto a very strange and twisted journey that ends up being very terrifying. It's beautifully shot and the acting is just amazing. The writing of this film is also just so thought out. Check it out if you want to watch something fantastic. (It's on Netflix)

Rosemary's Baby is also a really fantastic horror film that leaves you guessing up until the end. We follow the main character Rosemary as she moves into a new apartment building with her husband. Things seem normal at first, but as time goes by everything becomes more suspicious and dark. When Rosemary becomes pregnant, we can only guess what the other tenants want with her and her baby. This movie is just super suspenseful and leaves a lot up to your imagination. (Also on Netflix)

Adorable Conqueror

17,250 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Partygoer 500
NO! F*** YOU AND ANTICHRIST!! emotion_donotwant

My one friend thought he'd have our group of friends sit down and watch it. Never again. Needless to say, we tortured ourselves even moer and watched The Human Centipede after.

ANYWAYS...one of my favorite horror movies has got to be The Shining. Jack Nicholson does what he is best at...being crazy.

Session 9, to me, was so bad it was good. The setting was awesome. And the main antaginist freaked me the heck out (although that could've been because I was so tired). I mean, come on, it's about a bunch of guys restoring an old insane asylum. What could possibly go wrong?

Dapper Genius

6,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trader 100
  • Hygienic 200
The only American horror movie I liked was HOLLOW MAN
American's don't know how to make a movie scary. When I want to be scared I go to East!

JU ON and the only movie scarier: JU ON 2
Hmm... I like gore, but gore isn't scary to me. I also prefer suspenseful/psychological elements in my horror more than anything.

My favourite is currently 'Jacob's Ladder.' I like taking something new away from this movie every time I watch it.
Also my fiancé and I went to see 'Mama' last night.
Oh my sweet Christmas kittens, I slept with the lights on. That movie terrified me. And moved me to tears.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Elder Brother
The only American horror movie I liked was HOLLOW MAN
American's don't know how to make a movie scary. When I want to be scared I go to East!

JU ON and the only movie scarier: JU ON 2

Here, watch this:

Edit: As for me, I've got a bit of a soft spot for horror movies with Sam Neill.

In the Mouth of Madness
Event Horizon
Daybreakers (not really horror but, eh, vampires)

Also Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn and Army of Darkness.

Rainbow Smoker

I'm kind of obsessed with The Blair Witch Project. Probably because I've had this thing with camping and the woods my whole life, and sometimes weird s**t happens that you just can't explain, or you just start getting really weird bad vibes from a place. It felt very personal with the handhelds and not fancy studio cameras, and watching the actors descent from denial to despair was rough. Also love the (albeit fake) folklore and history, and I thought the whole audience being kept in the dark with never seeing the "blair witch" was super effective at least for me.

Also thought the (first) Descent movie was really horrifying, because I also have this fear of caves and getting lost in caves, and the whole underside to that movie with the main character going crazy after her family's death and realizing what her friend did. An alternative way to look at the movie was that there were no creatures and it was really just the main woman going crazy and killing her friends, both ideas freak me the ******** out, actually honestly I would've been freaked out just as much if they had just gotten lost in a cave forever and died, too.

Some foreign movies I've seen in the last year or so and left an impression would be Calvaire (dat ending) and Spoorloos.

Hilarious Genius

8,900 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
Silvia Crow

Here, watch this:

THIS. Oh god this.
I watched this at 2am, alone in the dark, and was flipping the f**k out.

Also Don't Be Afraid of the Dark if you're partial to a horror story with a slight fairytale feel to it.

Bashful Loiterer

I prefer campy horror...the Evil Dead saga, Drag Me to Hell (anything Sam Raimi, really), Cabin in the Woods, Slither, Bubba Hotep...

Shy Noob

So many movies...Hmm so many good horror movies out there but ones I've been digging lately...

Insidious
The Innkeepers
Session 9
Paranormal Activity 1,2 (don't care if people don't like these movies I thought they were brilliant)
Sinister
Stake Land
Dead Snow (Nazi zombies always are a good thing)
The Dead (If you're a fan of zombie movies this was a pretty good one set in Africa)
Severance (Danny Dyer)

To name a few lol.

Wheezing Lunatic

The Shining
The Exorcist
Silence Of The Lambs
Psycho
John Carpenter's The Thing
The Ring
The Evil Dead
An American Werewolf In London
The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari
Jaws
The Crow (if you count it as horror, though I don't)
Watched Grave Encounters today. I'm a sucker for found footage horror (except Cloverfield). It was good up until we started actually seeing ghosts. Other than the ghosts making faces it was pretty scary. I did find their friend going crazy unconvincing and predictable though...

Adorable Conqueror

17,250 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Partygoer 500
Lovely Beetle
I prefer campy horror...the Evil Dead saga, Drag Me to Hell (anything Sam Raimi, really), Cabin in the Woods, Slither, Bubba Hotep...

Ohmygodyes! I love The Evil Dead movies. Cabin in the Woods was awesome. You should watch Motel Hell if you haven't.
        go watch the guinea pig films.

Bashful Loiterer

pixie stique
Lovely Beetle

Ohmygodyes! I love The Evil Dead movies. Cabin in the Woods was awesome. You should watch Motel Hell if you haven't.

I haven't seen that one, but I'll check it out, for sure. Read the synopsis on IMDB...it certainly looks like something I'd enjoy.

I forgot about Hobo with a Shotgun! I think that kind of works as a horror movie...maybe. There's lots of blood anyway...it is on Netflix streaming, and everyone should see it.

Also, Tucker and Dale Versus Evil-also available for streaming. Another excellent pseudo-horror movie.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff