Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Inquisitor

10,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Durrenn
XxTheSmittenKittenxX
Pfft. Like homosexuality makes a character special (or any sexuality for that matter).

Way to not get the point.

Lol, exactly.

4,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Live action shows with gay characters-

Modern Family. The New Normal. Glee. Underemployed. Awkward. Shameless.

Animated shows with gay characters-

Family Guy. Archer. Venture Bros.

If your thinking of kids shows. It will never happen in the immediate future. They might introduce same sex parents though.

Invisible Regular

Bidd No Roe

If your thinking of kids shows. It will never happen in the immediate future. They might introduce same sex parents though.

Actually when you think about Disney has had some pretty gay characters too so I actually DO think it is possible to have such characters in them they just don't make it clear. Oh and Sailor Moon has gay characters and it was considered a "kid" show both here and Japan. A lot of anime and non-American animation will have such characters not hide them.

Magical Lunatic

**coughs**
Will & Grace
**coughs**

Wheezing Kitten

26,865 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
Mal Fortuna
XxTheSmittenKittenxX
Pfft. Like homosexuality makes a character special (or any sexuality for that matter).
Unless it actually has an impact upon the way the plot runs, I agree.

Right, because lusting after your own gender makes you a special character (the same goes for the the opposite).

Rainbow Admirer

Okay, I know it's an anime, but No.6 is an excellent example of a positive portrayal of homosexuality - if a bit implied. The two main characters aren't stereotypical, and the show doesn't revolve around gay romance like most in the shonen-ai genre. It has an actual plot, not romantic in genre. More shows and movies should be like this.

Greedy Noob

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Philladelphia is quite good!

Dapper Dabbler

Pretty Little Liars, Underemployed, South of Nowhere, Sugar Rush, Lip Service, The Wire, Oz...only South of Nowhere and Sugar Rush have the main main character as gay though, the others have ensemble casts so she or he is one of the leads but not the only lead.

ETA: Oh I just noticed you said you were looking for cartoons specifically...there's actually a lot of anime to choose from but it's rare for the characters to be real world gay rather than sort of existing in a world where it doesn't matter. Aoi Hana is probably the best series for gay-identified characters I've seen!

I want to say I can't believe people are arguing against the importance of this, but lol of course they are. Look folks, in a world that treats queer people extremely badly, representation matters. Both as a teaching tool for the ignorant but - in my opinion - more importantly as a way for queer kids growing up to see themselves and not hate themselves the way society tries to make them. Of course the gender of who you're attracted to shouldn't matter, but society makes it so it matters, and while I want to say "so if and when it really stops mattering, then we won't need representation so badly anymore", but honestly, the fact that there are 99.9% straight characters in all tv everywhere is just one example of how straight people are given preferential treatment in our society. So when sexuality stops mattering, queer people will hopefully stop needing representation because the representation will already be everywhere...not because representation isn't someone EVERYBODY deserves.

Dapper Ladykiller

Watch But I'm a Cheerleader. It's a really cheesy 90s movie, but I ******** love it.

Dapper Dabbler

sinfully_cute
Watch But I'm a Cheerleader. It's a really cheesy 90s movie, but I ******** love it.

Such a fun movie! Also 'I Can't Think Straight', 'Pariah', and 'Imagine Me And You' are all fantastic movies too.

Dedicated Entrepreneur

There is a gay green lantern. Batwoman has been gay for years. Half the young avengers are gay. I could go on forever with this. Ditch the eastern stories and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Lavish Ladykiller

SailorSanta
Bidd No Roe

Actually when you think about Disney has had some pretty gay characters too so I actually DO think it is possible to have such characters in them they just don't make it clear. Oh and Sailor Moon has gay characters and it was considered a "kid" show both here and Japan. A lot of anime and non-American animation will have such characters not hide them.

The lesbos in sailor moon were changed to cousins for the english dub, so that doesn't really count considering the topic at hand is talking about shows for the west

Familiar Fatcat

I think I once read a book about a homosexual main character. The most I can remember about it was that the title was called, "Vast Fields of Ordinary" or something along those lines.

I couldn't finish reading it, though, because my family kept freaking out about me reading a novel like that.

However, there are a lot of homosexual / same-sex characters and protagonists in the media. I think the media is sort of opening up to the entire sexual orientation deal.

Friendly Elocutionist

8,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Popular Thread 100
I think there are always good films out there that have positive and interesting gay characters. "Get Real", for one. "Transamerica", "Boys Don't Cry"... And on the TV side, "United States of Tara" has one of the best gay teens in Television I've seen. Not to mention "Degrassi: The Next Generation".
If you watch Degrassi, they have gay, lesbian, bisexual, and even transgnder persons on there that are main characters.

Marco is a gay guy. He comes onto the show in the second season (when it was known as Dehrassi: The Next Generation).
Paige finds out she is bisexual in season 5.
Alex (female) realizes she is a lesbian in season 5 and ends up dating Paige.
Fiona, who came on the show in season 8 or 9 (I think) is a lesbian.
Imogen, who came on the show in season 10 I think it was, is I think bisexual. (she had a crush on and dated Eli for a little bit, but then after they broke up, she started dating Fiona)
Adam, who came on the show in season 9 or 10, is a transgender. He was born a female named Gracie, but dresses and acts like a male.

All of the people listed above are/were main characters on the show. Marco, Paige, and Alex are now off the show aince the writers decided to focus more on Eli, Dave, Claire, and all of the other people who came onto the show from seasons 7 8 and 9.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff