Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lavish Ladykiller

ProjectLazy
Annata Cannata
ProjectLazy
Annata Cannata
Yeah, Hollywood is currently one big circle jerk to strait white guys. Don't count on it. sad
Lol what?

Will Smith is one of thie highest paid actors our there.
Money Penny is now black
Nick Fury is now Black
Spiderman is now black
Kingpin From daredevil was played by the great late Michael Clark Duncan
Harvey Dent was Black in the 1989 batman
Catwoman played by halle berry (although not selina kyle)
Jessica Alba dies her hair and puts in contacts to play a white susan storm. (blackface bad, whiteface good?)
Alicia Masters (The thing's Girldfriend FF) is now black
Hiemdell (spelling) from thor is now black
New karate kid was black (and the movie wasn;t about karate)

I could do this all night but open you eyes

This thread is about protagonists, right? Very few get to be protagonist unless its an "issue" movie.
spiderman, su storm and cat woman are all pro tags and will smith did a two hour film were he is the last man on earth. O yah that character was white too. Come on Hollywood caters to minorities

Exceptions to a rule does not invalidate the rule.

Also Spiderman is only black in one run of comics, everything else he is still white.

Dedicated Entrepreneur

the buki is in play
ProjectLazy
Annata Cannata
ProjectLazy
Annata Cannata
Yeah, Hollywood is currently one big circle jerk to strait white guys. Don't count on it. sad
Lol what?

Money Penny is now black
Nick Fury is now Black
Spiderman is now black
Jessica Alba dies her hair and puts in contacts to play a white susan storm. (blackface bad, whiteface good?)

This thread is about protagonists, right? Very few get to be protagonist unless its an "issue" movie.
spiderman, su storm and cat woman are all pro tags and will smith did a two hour film were he is the last man on earth. O yah that character was white too. Come on Hollywood caters to minorities

Also Spiderman is only black in one run of comics, everything else he is still white.
What do you mena exception. I just named a dozen characters turned black. I'll give you Miles though. Spiderman 2099 is latino aswell though.

I can really only one time hollyywood made a black character white and thats angelina jolie in wanted. So I guess thats the exception.

Lavish Ladykiller

ProjectLazy
the buki is in play
ProjectLazy
Annata Cannata
ProjectLazy
Annata Cannata
Lol what?

Money Penny is now black
Nick Fury is now Black
Spiderman is now black

What do you mena exception. I just named a dozen characters turned black. I'll give you Miles though. Spiderman 2099 is latino aswell though.

I can really only one time hollyywood made a black character white and thats angelina jolie in wanted. So I guess thats the exception.
The rule is the majority of stars, be they in tv, film or what have you, are straight white (and most of the time) males.

Just because there are a few examples where this is not so does not mean the above rule isn't true.

Witty Phantom

Nuts With Chocolate
Eternal Marionetta
Exoth XIII
Durrenn
Exoth XIII
I have seen a gay character done well exactly once, to my recollection. One of Scott Pilgrim's friend.
Be careful what you wish for. I get the feeling a gay protagonist, in today's media, would be a bit... campy.

Scott Pilgrim's friend was promiscuous, though. I wouldn't really call that a positive portrayal of a gay man.
A promiscuous guy in his 20's. Who'd've thought?
For the record, he was probably the most intelligent guy there.

Wallace? Oh dear Cthulhu, yes. I loved Wallace.

I only saw the movie, and even so it was 3/5 done by the time I tuned in.

He's pretty sassy. He's always kicking Scott out because Wallace pays for pretty much everything.

Witty Phantom

Ringoringa
The only cartoons I know with gay main characters are all anime, and of those, only one of them had the relationship as more of a side-story than the focus of the plot. (Think George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four, if the protagonists were gay and there were parasitic wasps eating everyone. blaugh ) Other than that, though, I have to say that I've never seen any children's media where it wasn't just something that was hinted at. Except maybe ParaNorman, but that was mostly a one-off joke at the end. (Didn't fail to piss a lot of people off, though. XD Totally missed the point of the movie about not fearing that which you don't understand.)

I remember overhearing a feww off-color remarks about that. Me and my mom had a few good laughs over it. My mother is a lesbian, so she found it amusing.

Dedicated Entrepreneur

the buki is in play
ProjectLazy
the buki is in play
ProjectLazy
Annata Cannata

The rule is the majority of stars, be they in tv, film or what have you, are straight white (and most of the time) males.

Just because there are a few examples where this is not so does not mean the above rule isn't true.
I think I'm still going to disagree. Alteast shows with white characters feature minorities. The only time you see a white guy in a tyler perry movie is as a punchline.

Look at walking dead. T-dog wasn't even in the comics but they added a black character. Sad truth his there's more content to work with. Instead of complaining about it minorities should make their own stuff.

Sure they do with BET and channels like it but they don't make the effort to blend characters of all races the way white produced shows do.

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
ProjectLazy
Annata Cannata
ProjectLazy
Annata Cannata
Lol what?

Money Penny is now black
Nick Fury is now Black
Spiderman is now black

You can only name a couple of exceptions. Unfortunately, there are thousands of other stories that prove the rule.

Lavish Ladykiller

ProjectLazy
the buki is in play
ProjectLazy
the buki is in play
ProjectLazy
Annata Cannata

I think I'm still going to disagree. Alteast shows with white characters feature minorities. The only time you see a white guy in a tyler perry movie is as a punchline.

Look at walking dead. T-dog wasn't even in the comics but they added a black character. Sad truth his there's more content to work with. Instead of complaining about it minorities should make their own stuff.

Sure they do with BET and channels like it but they don't make the effort to blend characters of all races the way white produced shows do.
You're missing the point.

The point being hollywood is a straight white male dominated industry. A few sprinkles here and there of ethnicness doesn't change that and you're a fool to try and deny something so obvious.

I don't even see it as thhat big of a deal. White people are their main demographic, why wouldn't they appeal to them? It's just business, but it's also obvious the way things are no matter what bullshit you get told.

Dedicated Entrepreneur

I think your missing the point this isn't just a few examples this is the trend of the industry. That whole idea is very outdated.

Dedicated Entrepreneur

1. Sunday Night Football (NBC) 7.7 rating/19 share - Not applicable

2. Modern Family (ABC) 5.8/15 - Cam and Mitch are positive gay role models

3. The Big Bang Theory (CBS) 5.7/18 - I'llgive you this one. almost all white straight cast

4. Sunday Night Pre-Kick (NBC) 5.6/15 not applicable

5. The Voice (NBC) 5.1/13 Multicultural and glbt friendly

6. Grey's Anatomy (NBC) 5.0/13 Multicultural.

7. NCIS (CBS) 4.5/13 Another not great example but it is multicultural

7. The Family Guy (FOX) 4.5/11 Very open show that involves all races. Seth macfarlane also created the clevelend show...no one like it.

9. The Voice Tuesday (NBC) 4.5/13 again

10. The OT (Fox) 4.4/13 more football

CNN.com put out this list for the top rating this season so far lets take a look. 5/7 shows had multicultural and glbt characters

Interesting Dabbler

6,550 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
You swore and said
"We are not
We are not shining stars"
This I know
I never said we are

Caerthakatha
Every single magazine I picked up had Sky on the cover with the Doctor, and a quote from RTD
about lesbians. They made out it was such a huge ******** deal and that it would be a major part
of the episode when it was a two-second hint. All it did was make the anti-LGBT brigade notice it
was going to happen on a certain date and get out their 'NOT IF I CAN HELP IT' goggles.

Even a day before the episode was going out, all I knew about the episode despite having
been a huge fan at the time and buying up all UK magazines about it, was that it was
going to be 'something that outdoes even the Doctor', 'shakes his confidence'
and which 'introduces a lesbian character'. To be honest, I was more ******** excited
that it had Patrick Troughton's son in it! Why was that not a major point?!

(... And I have no idea who Madam Vestra and Jenny are...)

There is the thing, you're in the Europe and I'm in the US, where we didn't get to see that.
I will say that it kind of makes sense, as the actress who played Sky, Leslie Sharp,
was also in another show at the time, afterlife, which might have been part of
why she was promoted so much. The other half, you are right, was unfair because
it was her sexual identity. If I had known you were in the UK when the episode premièred,
I wouldn't has said what I said the way I did, I would have only mentioned that
the episode wasn't advertised like that in the States.

I also felt it kind of shite that Troughton wasn't made more prominent,
because I went wild when I saw him too.

If you're lost and alone
Or you're sinking like a stone
Carry on
May your past be the sound
Of your feet upon the ground
Carry on

Lavish Ladykiller

ProjectLazy
I think your missing the point this isn't just a few examples this is the trend of the industry. That whole idea is very ********

if you're gonna keep being blind while shouting "NO LOOK, CNN.COM SAYS THIS??" then thats you're business. Just stop insisting you're right!

Dedicated Entrepreneur

the buki is in play
ProjectLazy
I think your missing the point this isn't just a few examples this is the trend of the industry. That whole idea is very ********

if you're gonna keep being blind while shouting "NO LOOK, CNN.COM SAYS THIS??" then thats you're business. Just stop insisting you're right!

But..But I used facts and examples.

Shirtless Man-Lover

ProjectLazy

3. The Big Bang Theory (CBS) 5.7/18 - I'llgive you this one. almost all white straight cast

Sorry to disappoint you but Sheldon and Leonard are both played by gay actors.

Beloved Sex Symbol

Not sure if this thread has gone off topic or not, but I Love You, Philip Morris is a great film for gay main characters.

EDIT: Unless you want gay actors, in which case, no.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff