Welcome to Gaia! ::

Noob

7,700 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
Read the book and everything will be crystal clear.It's not that hard.
But if you don't want to read it,then try Wikipedia c:

Devoted Cleric

Iron Geek
smrtness
Iron Geek
It's like Battle Royale except no-one learns anything and it's intensely boring as well as squandering an excellent premise.

"It's like Battle Royale" = code words of everyone who has never read all of the books.

This isn't about the books, dear. It's a bland film where the protagonist learns nothing; even in Clerks the main character learns something and that's essentially a film about nothing. This has an excellent premise and turns it into a 2 hour slog.

Though I will concede that than one bit where she threw up the three finger salute and everyone rioted was great.

But otherwise zzzz.

I think it's less about the protagonist having any kind of personal epiphany than showing how she is broken by the experience. Because dear GOD is she broken. The learning - cynical and twisted as it is - kind of takes place in the sequels where there's more active rebellion against the Capitol.

I found it by and large to be quite good, if a little lighter and cleaner than the novel. I'll admit, I don't know much at all about Battle Royale, but from what little I can glean, I think they were going for a different kind of message and scope.
The Hunger Games is the best movie i've seen so far espically at the End When that one Dude got ate by the Dogs
biggrin

Deadly Phantom

11,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Super Tipsy 200
It's about kids killing each other, pretty much it. The logic behind it is beyond flawed to the point where the writer seems to make the lamest excuses just for this massacre to happen. Plus, when I first heard "Hunger Games" I thought it was an eating contest, I thought they had made a typo and meant "Hunter Games" which would have made a billion times more sense but apparently the title is a little flawed too (in a sense that it could be better very easily);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxsjRmN9syc
klebold
It's about kids killing each other, pretty much it. The logic behind it is beyond flawed to the point where the writer seems to make the lamest excuses just for this massacre to happen. Plus, when I first heard "Hunger Games" I thought it was an eating contest, I thought they had made a typo and meant "Hunter Games" which would have made a billion times more sense but apparently the title is a little flawed too (in a sense that it could be better very easily);

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxsjRmN9syc

I thought it was called Hunger Games because the prize is a years worth of food for the victor's district (which is something extremely good when most districts don't get enough) and the victor lives a life of luxury and his/her family don't have to work.
Kasri Noireau
Iron Geek
smrtness
Iron Geek
It's like Battle Royale except no-one learns anything and it's intensely boring as well as squandering an excellent premise.

"It's like Battle Royale" = code words of everyone who has never read all of the books.

This isn't about the books, dear. It's a bland film where the protagonist learns nothing; even in Clerks the main character learns something and that's essentially a film about nothing. This has an excellent premise and turns it into a 2 hour slog.

Though I will concede that than one bit where she threw up the three finger salute and everyone rioted was great.

But otherwise zzzz.

I think it's less about the protagonist having any kind of personal epiphany than showing how she is broken by the experience. Because dear GOD is she broken. The learning - cynical and twisted as it is - kind of takes place in the sequels where there's more active rebellion against the Capitol.

I found it by and large to be quite good, if a little lighter and cleaner than the novel. I'll admit, I don't know much at all about Battle Royale, but from what little I can glean, I think they were going for a different kind of message and scope.

Battle Royale is essentially five/ten minutes of a bunch of school kids being told they're going to fight to the death because the government say so. Then they fight to the death for the rest of the movie. Not a great film but I enjoyed it more than the Hunger Games because it wasn't stilted and slow.

In what sense was she broken? She beat the system and saved that kid she most definitely should have killed. She didn't have to do anything that was beyond her, morally and when you're thrust into that kind of situation the limits to what you're willing to do have to be tested.

Also threatening to kill yourself when you have a family who is reliant on you is an incredibly foolish move.
I want to watch it but i haven't found the time. neutral neutral sweatdrop

Fashionable Friend

loudproud_92
You have the main idea. Its about a society in which its tradition is for each of the different districts sends one of each gender between 13 and 18 to fight and win. Its a mess up ways of the government keeping the people from rebelling with a twist form of hope.

I think it's 12-18
This movie is so bland. My roomate and I watched it really stoned and we both thought it sucks (if a movie sucks when high then he must really suck).
The story is predictable and you don't even root for the main character cause everyone knows what's happening at the end.

Devoted Cleric

Iron Geek
Kasri Noireau
Iron Geek
smrtness
Iron Geek

But otherwise zzzz.

Battle Royale is essentially five/ten minutes of a bunch of school kids being told they're going to fight to the death because the government say so. Then they fight to the death for the rest of the movie. Not a great film but I enjoyed it more than the Hunger Games because it wasn't stilted and slow.

In what sense was she broken? She beat the system and saved that kid she most definitely should have killed. She didn't have to do anything that was beyond her, morally and when you're thrust into that kind of situation the limits to what you're willing to do have to be tested.

Also threatening to kill yourself when you have a family who is reliant on you is an incredibly foolish move.

Apparently there's a graphic novel version of Battle Royale? It sounds interesting, but really confronting. They apparently play up the senseless violence a lot.

Oh, I'd say she was asked to do things that were morally beyond her. Killing someone for no other reason than that you've been told to is going to screw a person over, even if they did happen to be the designated assholes. She's also burned, poisoned, deafened, cut, starved and dehydrated for what... two weeks? And at the last second is told she has to either kill someone she's emotionally invested in and who she believed up until the end was going to live. Katniss comes out traumatised, and with good reason, she was pushed physically and mentally past her limit so, so far. That's the point of the Games, it's not a test or a competition, it's an exercise in breaking people down, whether they live or they die. I think calling it a test implies that she as a seventeen year old girl should be able to survive in horrific conditions and kill up to 23 people she has no reason to want to hurt if that's what the situation requires, which I think is demanding an unrealistic level of resilience. It's a tough call, because it's a mindset that you really can't understand without being in a similar situation and (thank god) there isn't really anything similar. But anyway.

Threatening to kill yourself is a foolish move. At that point, I don't think the girl had enough rationality left in her, she just wanted to do whatever she could to rob the Capitol of their victory over her one way or another, which supports the idea that the Games broke her. At least, that was my reading.

I know you're restricting the scope of the conversation to the movie, but that's really difficult because I read the trilogy first and so a lot of what I got from the movie was informed by the books. ^^;

Original Player

7,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
heart Thankss Everyone ^o^ I finally got to watch The Hunger Games, YAY! Anywayss I didn't care for the beginning of the movie that much, It was boring... haha But, I did LOVE the battle xd
CeeCee143
heart Thankss Everyone ^o^ I finally got to watch The Hunger Games, YAY! Anywayss I didn't care for the beginning of the movie that much, It was boring... haha But, I did LOVE the battle xd

Even with the book I found the beginnig a bit slow, but they have to lay down the setting and give you enough background for all the awesomeoness that follows. The trilogy is well worth the read! smile
survival movie

Dangerous Fairy

you obviously weren't paying attention lol
BlackRaven7117
Read the book. The movie doesn't do it justice at all!
Agreed!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces