Welcome to Gaia! ::

Original Player

7,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
Watching the hunger games for the first time EVER lol It's interesting but I honestly don't get what the hell I'm watching at the moment haha Someone please tell me what this movie is all about??? Is it suppose to be some kind of entertainment show, where teenagers are choosin' to play a game and kill or be killed? xp IDK

P.S. The reason I don't know is because I don't usually watch this type of movie lol
You have the main idea. Its about a society in which its tradition is for each of the different districts sends one of each gender between 13 and 18 to fight and win. Its a mess up ways of the government keeping the people from rebelling with a twist form of hope.
The girl won in hunger games it was kinda hard for her then there was girl that told her to cut down the killer bees down so those people will so she will win
All I gota say is that the movie was the best

7,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250
its suppose to show what happened after like the 3rd world war, and in a twisted mix of reality shows and violence, each district sends 2 ppl to represent them as they basically have a gladiator match. Whoever wins, gets a whole lotta' money and doesn't have work for the rest of their lives. it's a pretty cool movie smile
It's like Battle Royale except no-one learns anything and it's intensely boring as well as squandering an excellent premise.

Conservative Genius

Iron Geek
It's like Battle Royale except no-one learns anything and it's intensely boring as well as squandering an excellent premise.

"It's like Battle Royale" = code words of everyone who has never read all of the books.
smrtness
Iron Geek

"It's like Battle Royale" = code words of everyone who has never read all of the books.

This isn't about the books, dear. It's a bland film where the protagonist learns nothing; even in Clerks the main character learns something and that's essentially a film about nothing. This has an excellent premise and turns it into a 2 hour slog.

Though I will concede that than one bit where she threw up the three finger salute and everyone rioted was great.

But otherwise zzzz.

Enduring Gaian

Iron Geek
smrtness
Iron Geek

This isn't about the books, dear. It's a bland film where the protagonist learns nothing; even in Clerks the main character learns something and that's essentially a film about nothing. This has an excellent premise and turns it into a 2 hour slog.

Though I will concede that than one bit where she threw up the three finger salute and everyone rioted was great.

But otherwise zzzz.

Why does it have to be a story about "learning something"? What exactly were you expecting her to learn? Why does it make it boring that she didn't learn something if she had nothing to learn?
CelestialChild
Iron Geek
smrtness
Iron Geek

But otherwise zzzz.

Why does it have to be a story about "learning something"? What exactly were you expecting her to learn? Why does it make it boring that she didn't learn something if she had nothing to learn?

Because that's how stories work; the character starts off in one place and through his or her arc ends up in a completely different place spiritually, emotionally etc. But here we know she's brave, passionate, noble and such and she closes out the movie the way she came into it, it's dull.

She's got a family depending on her back home she should have shanked that other kid the moment she found out that only one of them was going home. Instead we see that she doesn't really have to sacrifice to go home, she gets an easy out.

If a character has nothing to learn, if there's no room for change then that character is two dimensional and not particularly interesting to watch for 10 minutes let alone 2 hours.

Enduring Gaian

Iron Geek
Because that's how stories work; the character starts off in one place and through his or her arc ends up in a completely different place spiritually, emotionally etc. But here we know she's brave, passionate, noble and such and she closes out the movie the way she came into it, it's dull.

She's got a family depending on her back home she should have shanked that other kid the moment she found out that only one of them was going home. Instead we see that she doesn't really have to sacrifice to go home, she gets an easy out.

If a character has nothing to learn, if there's no room for change then that character is two dimensional and not particularly interesting to watch for 10 minutes let alone 2 hours.

Eh, well I disagree. I don't think a protagonist must always learn something in order for a story to be profound and engaging.

Katniss' story was an emotional one for most viewers; we watched her find courage and will when her back was pressed up against the wall. Although she may not have learned so moral or philosophical lesson from her experience - (well actually, she does, but you don't see her understanding until the last book) - I don't think that made the story any less thrilling.
CelestialChild
Iron Geek

Eh, well I disagree. I don't think a protagonist must always learn something in order for a story to be profound and engaging.

Katniss' story was an emotional one for most viewers; we watched her find courage and will when her back was pressed up against the wall. Although she may not have learned so moral or philosophical lesson from her experience - (well actually, she does, but you don't see her understanding until the last book) - I don't think that made the story any less thrilling.

Well there's pretty much every story ever to derail that opinion.

Was it emotional? 'Cause other than the bit with the salute/riot I didn't get any of that. I'm fine with long odds incidentals happening i.e. her little sister being picked out of all those kids but that scene and almost every scene that preceded and succeeded it was predictable. And predictability in something you're describing as 'thrilling' is terrible. Unless they Keyser Soze her in future installments I don't see subsequent sequels being good.

We didn't watch her find anything we see all of that in the first 20 minutes. Finding courage implies you have none, she was balls out brave from the beginning. Quite frankly she had it easy in those games; her character wasn't tested or changed she was just a Plain Jane hero shell for people to project on but I suppose there are worse characters to aspire to be like.
Read the book. The movie doesn't do it justice at all!

Sparkly Smoker

i noticed that if you hadn't read the book, it would be hard to understand the movie.
I have read all three books and there pretty good. I was kind of scared when they made a movie, because the hunger games has so many messages and great characters and bloody battles, its hard to interpret it in a movie. First of all they should have never have made it PG-13, the gory scenes would have made the film much better and not trying to make this a Disney movie. The Hunger Games film was so shallow, especially when it came to the characters.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff